Brewer Fanatic

Marcus Stroman traded to the Mets

Comparing this trade to the Pirates acquisition of 1.5 years of Chris Archer last deadline is such a stark contrast. I would take each of the three players the Rays acquired over either of the players the Blue Jays just received.

Ironically for all of the talk about the Brewers being out on Stroman type arms because of their poor farm system, the Mets had Baseball America’s 26th ranked system. That being said, the rumor all along has been that the Blue Jays were prioritizing starting pitching prospects.

The contrast is insane. The Blue Jays must really like the two young arms they're getting because they're not that highly regarded and it's almost impossible to think that they couldn't have gotten more from the Yankees, a team that desperately needs a starter right now. Though maybe it was just the starting pitching that got them hung up.

Either way, I'd have liked to see the Brewers get him...as long as they didn't trade Turang.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Comparing this trade to the Pirates acquisition of 1.5 years of Chris Archer last deadline is such a stark contrast. I would take each of the three players the Rays acquired over either of the players the Blue Jays just received.

Archer was actually 3.5 years, assuming PIT picks up the 9/11 million options for 2020/21.

Good catch, and they’ll pick them up since they don’t really have a choice from a PR standpoint no matter how bad he pitches.

I knew Archer wasn't having a great year, but I didn't realize how badly he was pitching. ERA in the mid 5's?

Imagine if Baez ends up being a good player for the Rays? To me the second best part of being a Brewers fan is watching the young talent. Watching them come up and then hopefully thrive. Hiura at bats are must see for me. I usually DVR the games and then kinda skim through until there's some action if I can't watch it while it's being played.

So now you take someone that I've followed and watched for years and just as they're on the precipice of big league success....they've made it up, struggled a bit in the case of Glasnow(similar to Burnes) and you trade them for a declining innings eater.

Man I'd be irate. I know some people(one) who'd love it...

And now I'm fairly certain he'll end up in Cincy after this year and win a Cy Young with the Cy Midas there as their pitching coach.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Steve Phillips

@StevePhillipsGM

Pretty creative move by the #Mets. As a prospective seller, by acquiring Stroman, they changed the supply side of the equation without changing the demand side. This makes their starters (Syndergaard and Wheeler) more valuable in trade discussions with teams in need of starters.

Reality is brewers farm currently ranks last on BA. This means any trade of any value is going to probably not happen because we are in even worse shape than I think any of us realize. Brewers are in a weird spot. They have nothing to trade except major league talent that in most cases has underperformed. Stearns has his work cut out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Reality is brewers farm currently ranks last on BA. This means any trade of any value is going to probably not happen because we are in even worse shape than I think any of us realize. Brewers are in a weird spot. They have nothing to trade except major league talent that in most cases has underperformed. Stearns has his work cut out.

I think the caliber of prospects dealt so far is actually right in the wheelhouse of what the Brewers have to offer. No one has traded anything that can be considered a top-flight prospect yet.

Steve Phillips

@StevePhillipsGM

Pretty creative move by the #Mets. As a prospective seller, by acquiring Stroman, they changed the supply side of the equation without changing the demand side. This makes their starters (Syndergaard and Wheeler) more valuable in trade discussions with teams in need of starters.

as they first aim to acquire Greinke and Baumgardner, completely corner the market on starting pitching and become the monopolistic seller?

Someone tell Steve I was just memeing. As is usually the case. :tongue

I think the caliber of prospects dealt so far is actually right in the wheelhouse of what the Brewers have to offer. No one has traded anything that can be considered a top-flight prospect yet.

This may be true but teams probably have more of them in which to deal. Brewers cupboard is so bare it's tough to give up what little they do have. Hopefully they can find a partner who can make something happen.

Community Moderator

This may be true but teams probably have more of them in which to deal. Brewers cupboard is so bare it's tough to give up what little they do have. Hopefully they can find a partner who can make something happen.

The Mets just acquired Marcus Stroman with a farm system that is arguably below the Brewers. If they are ahead of the Brewers at this point it has a lot to do with their 2019 draftees (headlined by Brett Baty) who won’t be eligible to be traded until this off-season. Sure the Blue Jays wanted pitching and probably specifically liked those pitchers, but the industry consensus seems to be those players are on par with the small handful of guys at the top of the Brewers system. For instance, I wouldn’t trade Brice Turang straight up for either Kay or Woods-Richardson. If anything the Stroman trade gives a glimmer of hope the Brewers might actually be able to acquire a top pitcher or bullpen piece if they are willing to deal from among their better assets.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Any chance the Mets traded for Stroman to wind up flipping him elsewhere for a better prospect package? I know what they've stated in the press since the trade, but they could definitely get a better haul by packaging Stroman/Wheeler for a team who is in dire need of starting pitching help but is hesitant to go after Wheeler so soon after an IL stint when he's just a rental...

just speculating - the Mets buying at this stage is just confusing. I still would be shocked to see Thor moved.

Community Moderator
I still would be shocked to see Thor moved.

For whatever reason they seem pretty intent on moving Syndergaard. He is scheduled to start for the Mets on Tuesday, and I’ll actually be somewhat surprised if he makes that start.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I still think they're only trading Syndergaard for a big haul, or not at all. Based on the trades so far, it doesn't seem to be that kind of market though. They're really not in a position where they *have* to trade him, and it should really be a case of where they'd be content to hold on to him if that kind of deal isn't available to be made.

So we could have had Stroman for Zach brown and aye aye Ron Ashby... I wish stearns could have gotten that done :-/

Maybe, maybe not.

There is no way to know what other offers were made.

Maybe Stearns made that exact offer & Toronto preferred the Mets prospects.

So we could have had Stroman for Zach brown and aye aye Ron Ashby... I wish stearns could have gotten that done :-/

I hope you and others know it’s just not this simple. Who knows who the Blue Jays would value from the Brewers. Just because the rankings are close it means very little. Heck, the Blue Jays may not be interested in any of our players in those rankings.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would assume -

The Blue Jays really scouted and loved the prospect(s) from the Mets - much more than anyone else.

The rest of baseball front offices didn't like Stroman as much as assumed, and the Blue Jays were not getting any better offers.

My surplus value estimates for various prospect packages:

-Turang and Zack Brown = 27.7 million

-Kay and Woods-Richardson = 23.6 million

-Zack Brown and Ashby = 13.6 million

-Ashby and Rasmussen = 10.65 million

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would like to give a golf clap for the Aye Aye Ron reference.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Back in May, I had Stroman's surplus value at about $50MM, and he fetched two 50 OFP prospects, worth about $52MM in surplus value. Math is fun.

Turang ($42MM surplus) and Brown ($26MM surplus) would have been a dramatic overpayment, even with Brown's down year. Brown and Ashby (each with a 50 OFP) probably would have been comparable value. But as others have said, it comes down to what the Jays think of the players. There's the broad surplus valuations, and the very specific player valuations. Teams have to agree on both.

The only way the Brewers pick up anyone is with both a low level trade, and draft picks. Plus cash consideration. That's why Ian Kennedy and Vargas would be an option or anyone similar that you good folks can think of. Maybe Moose and cash consideration something like that.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mets turn around and flip Stroman. A Stroman\Diaz package would be awfully enticing to other teams. Combine that with a Syndergaard and Wheeler deal and they could rebuild fairly quickly. I like alot of their position players. It's kind of disappointing they couldn't ever get all those young stud SP going at the same time. I think most of us were drooling over what could've been with that group.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Mets turn around and flip Stroman. A Stroman\Diaz package would be awfully enticing to other teams. Combine that with a Syndergaard and Wheeler deal and they could rebuild fairly quickly. I like alot of their position players. It's kind of disappointing they couldn't ever get all those young stud SP going at the same time. I think most of us were drooling over what could've been with that group.

Has any team with "young, stud" pitching done anything since the mid to late 90's Braves? Maybe the early 2000's A's. Otherwise seems like all the teams with hyped pitching get nothing out of it.

Has any team with "young, stud" pitching done anything since the mid to late 90's Braves? Maybe the early 2000's A's. Otherwise seems like all the teams with hyped pitching get nothing out of it.

2010- Giants with Cain, Lincecum, Bum

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived