Brewer Fanatic

Marcus Stroman traded to the Mets

I mean, it's amazing, really

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Weren't they supposed to trade thor first and use some of those prospects for stroman?
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

They're...only 6 back of the wild card? Re-loading for a 2020 pennant run? Intend to flip him as they first aim to acquire Greinke and Baumgardner, completely corner the market on starting pitching and become the monopolistic seller?

I got nothing, really.

Uhm. Doesn't make a lot of sense on the surface. But trying to see their thinking behind it, there was the rumour that they're both looking to compete in 2020 and trade Syndergaard. So acquire Stroman for prospects whose ETA is beyond that, use Syndergaard to get players who can be contributors in 2020. So you lose a year of control on your starter by going from Thor to Stroman, but get stronger for 2020. Perhaps they are really high on Stroman. Or perhaps they're just really high. It is the Mets, after all.

Weren't they supposed to trade thor first and use some of those prospects for stroman?

I think that was the assumption we were making. Who knows, maybe they actually are smarter than everyone else as someone suggested yesterday and they'll package the two for prospects.

But as I said in another thread, it really seems like their primary function is to just annoy the Yankees, the favorites for Stroman.

Why the hell are you trading for the guy when his value is the highest, you're not competitive and you're already looking to dump starting pitchers? This trade BEFORE the season? Oh, you want to try and put together a great staff. But it's too late.

Some people would have the Brewers in a perpetual state of stupidity like the Mets, trading away Prospects whenever. I think the wording was, "worry about today today, worry about tomorrow, tomorrow."

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Trade Value Site has Stroman at 28.4 million, Woods-Richardson at 7.1 million and Kay at 3.8 million. If that is the standard industry view, then the Mets just committed highway robbery.

I would have had Stroman at about the same number, but would have had Kay and Richardson both in the #150-#250 area, which at the top end is 13.1 million and at the bottom end is 8 million. I'd also have this deal as favoring the Mets but not nearly as lop-sided as the Trade Value Site.

Community Moderator
Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

1m

Source confirms LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson are the pitchers going to Toronto for Stroman.

@Ken_Rosenthal had it first.

There has to be more I would think? That seems really light if it’s the whole return.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I might have been a bit light on Kay. Baseball America had him as a top 100 player and still rank him fourth in the Met's system. He's probably more around #125. That's 14.3 million on my board. Would slot Woods-Richardson at about #225 which would be 9.3 million. I have the two carrying 23.6 million in prospect surplus value. Deal still favors the Blue Jays, but not as lopsided as I originally thought.

Value-wise it seems like a good deal for the Mets, but at the same time they've pretty much tipped their hand in that they want to deal rotation pieces and now one has to wonder if other teams will not feel any real urgency to overbid.

All the deals so far are saying that this is a buyer's market.

Ken Rosenthal

@Ken_Rosenthal

·

16m

On #BlueJays’ return for Stroman: Triple A RHP Anthony Kay was #Mets’ first-round pick out of UConn in 2016. Class A RHP Simeon Woods Richardson was their second rounder out of Kempner (Tx.) H.S. in ‘18.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

26m

In Marcus Stroman trade, #BlueJays getting No. 4 and No. 6 prospects in #Mets system -- both pitchers -- per @Ken_Rosenthal

. @MLB

@MLBNetwork

Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

1m

Source confirms LHP Anthony Kay and RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson are the pitchers going to Toronto for Stroman.

Doesn't blow me away. If something like Rasmussen and Ashby would get us a proven starter through next year I'd certainly pay that price.

Not sure why the Mets would now trade away pitching. Trade away their one-year guys like Frazier if they can and make big signings in the offseason on offense.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member

The Mets have underperformed but on paper they have a playoff-caliber roster. I don't think it's crazy at all to add in arm to try and make a run in 2019 who is also under team control in 2020. Particularly since the return looks like a joke for Toronto.

This is only a comical movie if the Mets now go out and trade Syndergaard.

Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

1m

Doesn't blow me away. If something like Rasmussen and Ashby would get us a proven starter through next year I'd certainly pay that price.

I frequently complain of our farm system being undervalued compared to large market teams, but Kay and Woods-Richardson are better prospects right now than Rasmussen and Ashby.

The Mets are a clown franchise or are they? Syndergaard, DeGrom, Stroman. Conforto, Alonso, McNeil. With some interesting complimentary players: Matz, Lugo, Rosario, Cano, Wilson Ramos, Frazier. The math may not support a run yet this year but they could be a monster in 2020.

Then again their GM could do something drastic to blow all this out of the water before Wednesday.

Mark Feinsand

@Feinsand

1m

I frequently complain of our farm system being undervalued compared to large market teams, but Kay and Woods-Richardson are better prospects right now than Rasmussen and Ashby.

I don't see why. Or at the very least how you make that distinction. Of the four prospects, Rasmussen has the highest upside, that's obviously mitigated by not only the TJ he had, but the fact that they had to go back in a second time to fix an issue with the first surgery, but it's a pretty similar package.

The only way I see it is the Brewers have the worst farm system, these guys are rated lower than the Mets prospect, ergo, not as good of prospects. I don't believe you would evaluate them in that manner, so why do you think they're better prospects.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Community Moderator

Comparing this trade to the Pirates acquisition of 1.5 years of Chris Archer last deadline is such a stark contrast. I would take each of the three players the Rays acquired over either of the players the Blue Jays just received.

Ironically for all of the talk about the Brewers being out on Stroman type arms because of their poor farm system, the Mets had Baseball America’s 26th ranked system. That being said, the rumor all along has been that the Blue Jays were prioritizing starting pitching prospects.

Comparing this trade to the Pirates acquisition of 1.5 years of Chris Archer last deadline is such a stark contrast. I would take each of the three players the Rays acquired over either of the players the Blue Jays just received.

Archer was actually 3.5 years, assuming PIT picks up the 9/11 million options for 2020/21.

Community Moderator

Archer was actually 3.5 years, assuming PIT picks up the 9/11 million options for 2020/21.

Good catch, and they’ll pick them up since they don’t really have a choice from a PR standpoint no matter how bad he pitches.

Archived