Brewer Fanatic

Brewers considering trading Grandal or Moose for rotation help

The problem with trading rentals like Grandal and Moustakas is that any team interested in them would be a contender that likely isn't going to want to part with useful pitching.

I think you could get a guy like Lamet from San Diego. He's controllable for several more years and has big upside.

But why would the Padres want Moustakas or Grandal for 2 months unless they want to win now?

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

The problem with trading rentals like Grandal and Moustakas is that any team interested in them would be a contender that likely isn't going to want to part with useful pitching.

I think you could get a guy like Lamet from San Diego. He's controllable for several more years and has big upside.

As a pound owner of Lamet in a dynasty league, i agree, but with him coming off TJ surgery 15 months ago, i don't now how much he will be pitching come September.

I guess they could put him in the bullpen.

Brewers may need to trade to Moose or Grandal to acquire frontline starter.

That Tweet doesn't make any sense to me. I think he's just trying to make a comment on how steep the price is for pitching right now...but as noted in here...what team lines up? Who is giving up an ace and values 2 months of Grandal or Moustakas as a major piece back? MAYBE Cleveland is in that sell now/buy now position but they really don't need either of them.

Brewers may need to trade to Moose or Grandal to acquire frontline starter.

That Tweet doesn't make any sense to me. I think he's just trying to make a comment on how steep the price is for pitching right now...but as noted in here...what team lines up? Who is giving up an ace and values 2 months of Grandal or Moustakas as a major piece back? MAYBE Cleveland is in that sell now/buy now position but they really don't need either of them.

Cleveland is really the only team. Maybe Oakland is capable of that creativity, dunno if that need exists though. Maybe the rays? Keep in mind there are probably teams talking that nobody knows about. But overall, yes i think this tweet is weird. And i think he's dead wrong.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But why would the Padres want Moustakas or Grandal for 2 months unless they want to win now?

Sorry, meant a guy like him but not necessarily him. Coming off injury, lots of upside. I realize I didn't word that too clearly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, saying the Brewers need to include veteran 2 month rentals in order to secure pitching help makes zero sense, unless the teams they are talking to are contenders just flush with pitching that could use Moose or Grandal to shore up a glaring hole on their own rosters. This tweet really should have nothing to do with Thor or quality starters on noncontending teams this season.

Yeah, I think Nightengale was trying to find a way to say, "man, if this is what it costs for Lyles, the market is going to be pretty steep!" and be cute and mold 2 ongoing trade rumors together to suggest the cost...but in the end it made no sense.

Archived