Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-28: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Davies) [Brewers lose, 11-4]

Eye Black
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davies isn't terrible, but he's been asked to be the anchor of a staff because of injuries and so many other guys underperforming. He is what he is, he's an inconsistent guy who's probably a number four.

that’s exactly what he is

Games like yesterday’s and Friday’s against a hated rival are memorable completely apart from how or whether they affect a playoff race. They reminded me of some games and weekend series the Brewers had against the Yankees in the 78-80 seasons. Those wins in front of big crowds were great even though they didn’t lead to the Brewers coming even that close to making the playoffs.

Now, let’s make it really memorable by completing the sweep and sending the Cubs fans home with their tail between their legs. I don’t think the Brewers have swept a 3 game series from the Cubs since they began turning things around late in the 2014 season.

Did we sweep them last September to get back into the division race or am I wrong about that

The Brewers won two out of 3 from the Cubs twice in September but didn’t sweep them.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I’ll be careful I don’t offend anyone by suggesting that this game is over.

But, I will say that the Brewers chances of coming back to win this one are pretty slim considering who is on the mound. The Brewers have pummeled Quintana a few times by getting him early, but otherwise he sails through them and this is looking more like the latter.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Davies isn't terrible, but he's been asked to be the anchor of a staff because of injuries and so many other guys underperforming. He is what he is, he's an inconsistent guy who's probably a number four.

The problem is, with the exception of Woodruff, that pretty much describes four of our starters. That level of inconsistency is what prevents this team from going on an extended winning streak.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The problem is, with the exception of Woodruff, that pretty much describes four of our starters. That level of inconsistency is what prevents this team from going on an extended winning streak.

I'm not arguing against that. I'm simply countering the argument that Davies is terrible. He's basically being asked to be the de facto Ace right now, which he isn't. He's a decent back of the rotation starter he's not terrible he doesn't suck. He's a guy that will go out there every five days and give you five or six Innings maybe and usually hold the other team to two or three runs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The early lead will just make it that much sweeter when their bullpen blows it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There is no reason to continue the Arcia era. It is virtually impossible to be any worse than he has been. The thing is Counsell benched him for defense. Since then he's been better. I'm guessing he was told don't worry about what you hit just be better with the glove. I guess he took it to heart. He hasn't had a hit since.

Have to get a run or two sooner rather than later. They’re not winning this game by waiting until the 7th or 8th inning to get their first runs.

Heart of the order? Davies goes 1-2-3. Maddening!

He's the MLB equivalent of my youth pitching career. Annoyed and kept good hitters off kilter... got smashed by crumby hitters who were excited to see something soft.

I'm not arguing against that. I'm simply countering the argument that Davies is terrible. He's basically being asked to be the de facto Ace right now, which he isn't. He's a decent back of the rotation starter he's not terrible he doesn't suck. He's a guy that will go out there every five days and give you five or six Innings maybe and usually hold the other team to two or three runs.

No, I agree with that assessment. I think you're spot on and that was more of a follow up comment to yours. I'd have no problem with Davies as a four on a good pitching staff. Having said that, he is being asked to be a two due to failing to acquire more adequate pitching......which is not his fault.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Boy, it’d be great if our hitters got on top of a few pitches. Easy outs everywhere.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There is no reason to continue the Arcia era. It is virtually impossible to be any worse than he has been. The thing is Counsell benched him for defense. Since then he's been better. I'm guessing he was told don't worry about what you hit just be better with the glove. I guess he took it to heart. He hasn't had a hit since.

If you're not going to make a trade, at this point you just make a move and give Dubon the starting spot for 50-75 ABs and see if you can get a spark. I mean you really have nothing to lose at this point. If he sucks, so what. You haven't lost any production.

That’ll be enough for me today. Wow.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived