Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-28: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Davies) [Brewers lose, 11-4]

Eye Black

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back from vacation so I've been out of the loop for a while and I have so many questions, like is our entire starting rotation on the 10 day DL now? Have the pitchers Saladino hit grand slams off of been DFAd? Is Hader that fragile that we have to let JJ blow games for us? Is Pina finally the first string catcher? What happened to Diamondbacks?

Back from vacation so I've been out of the loop for a while and I have so many questions, like is our entire starting rotation on the 10 day DL now? Have the pitchers Saladino hit grand slams off of been DFAd? Is Hader that fragile that we have to let JJ blow games for us? Is Pina finally the first string catcher? What happened to Diamondbacks?

Yes

Please let Pineapple face Quintana!

Cain CF

Yelich RF

Moose 3B

Huira 2B

Grandal 1B

Braun LF

Pina C

Arcia SS

Davies P

Flip Braun and Moose and insert Saladino at SS and you probably have it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yep. I have a feeling Aguilar is about run out of chances.

? He has an OPS of 938 this month

We will see today. If they don’t even start him against a lefty. We will see when the lineup comes out

If it’s Pina and Grandal then CC might be cooling on him

Verified Member
Reading all the comments in last night's thread before the two homers to win the game was fun. Kimbrell and Theo going home unhappy also a lot of fun. More of the same today would be much appreciated!

For those that thought Maddon should have left Lester in( I was one)

And before anybody starts bemoaning the manager’s decision to take ace Jon Lester out after seven scoreless innings at 94 pitches, it was Lester — who has battled a flu bug all week — who told Maddon he was done.

“I was gassed,” Lester said, his voice still raspy. “The sixth and seventh innings got to me.”

L Cain ® CF

C Yelich (L) RF

R Braun ® LF

K Hiura ® 2B

Y Grandal (S) C

J Aguilar ® 1B

O Arcia ® SS

T Saladino ® 3B

Z Davies

That 6-9 is a black hole. I'm still not understanding why Counsell is so reluctant to move Hiura any higher than 4th in the order. Braun is in a mini slump and hopefully is due to break out of it today. I'll call 2 for 4, 1 walk and one HR for him.

Most lineup analysis indicates your best hitter should be second with your second best hitter fourth.

I think clean up is the ideal spot for Hiura at the moment.

What do those analysis' say about batting the pitcher 8th? I'm surprised we just seemed to abandon that.

I'll all for literally curb stomping Quintana. Creep can roll man.

Sweep them and trade for some pitching without overpaying! We're winning games with only two pitchers on the starting staff so why not expect aces without many prospects?

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Most lineup analysis indicates your best hitter should be second with your second best hitter fourth.

What do those analysis' say about batting the pitcher 8th? I'm surprised we just seemed to abandon that.

Lineup analysts.

High school counselor Cooter preference tests say they fall slightly above underachievers but right below firewatchers

I'll all for literally curb stomping Quintana. Creep can roll man.

Sweep them and trade for some pitching without overpaying! We're winning games with only two pitchers on the starting staff so why not expect aces without many prospects?

Jesus

You said it, man

It appears as though batting the pitcher 8th only yields a minimal advantage over the course of a season & only then if you have the right personnel.

This Ben Lindbergh article is a few years old, but it covers the main points & even has some quotes from former Brewers front office guy Tony Blengino...

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-national-league-batting-order-starting-pitchers-eighth-chicago-cubs/

From what I can tell the Brewers hit the pitcher 8th fourteen times this year going 8-6 with an average of 4.5 runs per game versus an average of 4.9 runs per game in all other games (though that also includes interleague/DH games).

My best guess is they tried it for a little to see if it would maybe jumpstart the offense & when that didn't happen they just went back to the status quo.

Most? Gimme one... please. Not being rude, but I never heard of this. Most MLB managers put their best hitters at #2 or #3.

Most? Gimme one... please. Not being rude, but I never heard of this. Most MLB managers put their best hitters at #2 or #3.

There are numerous links within the Grantland article above, but this one probably does the best job breaking it down...

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

Games like yesterday’s and Friday’s against a hated rival are memorable completely apart from how or whether they affect a playoff race. They reminded me of some games and weekend series the Brewers had against the Yankees in the 78-80 seasons. Those wins in front of big crowds were great even though they didn’t lead to the Brewers coming even that close to making the playoffs.

Now, let’s make it really memorable by completing the sweep and sending the Cubs fans home with their tail between their legs. I don’t think the Brewers have swept a 3 game series from the Cubs since they began turning things around late in the 2014 season.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived