Brewer Fanatic

Cubs acquire Derek Holland from Giants

I love this move. His numbers have been very good against lefties, and Maddon surely knows this. I love the idea of giving Maddon every opportunity to overuse his bullpen.

It makes the Cubs better so....not love.

Derek Holland is a meh pitcher. The Cubs needed a lefty, though, so he fills that role until they find someone better. This is pretty much a non-starter I think.

This is kinda where I'm at too. He had good numbers in a very very small sample size against lefties, in a very pitcher friendly environment. So i'm not really sure he's better than what they have...and again, give Maddon all the situational guys and let him have everybody pitch every day until their arms fall off in mid-August.

Absolutely a non needle mover...he had been DFA'd by the Giants. If say, this was all DS did to try to improve this years team, I'd be furious.

Well, it's more than DS has done so far. You might be simmering soon.

Absolutely a non needle mover...he had been DFA'd by the Giants. If say, this was all DS did to try to improve this years team, I'd be furious.

Well, it's more than DS has done so far. You might be simmering soon.

In fairness, very few teams have done much of anything. The posturing gets worse and worse every year, I feel like teams won't really start talking until July 28th at the earliest(many teams off July 29th so they may view this as a decision point)...or possibly not until just a few hours before the deadline.

Just in time to use him in relief against the Brewers.

I suspect the “illness “ that caused Lester to skip his start Wednesday flared up when they realized Hamels wasn’t going to be able to go on Sunday.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I love this move. His numbers have been very good against lefties, and Maddon surely knows this. I love the idea of giving Maddon every opportunity to overuse his bullpen.

It makes the Cubs better so....not love.

Holland would be the 9th starter for the Brewers which just shows how much more depth they have than the other teams in the NL central. Unfortunately the Brewers are so hurt that the 9th starter is actually important at this point. The Cubs rotational depth is just awful.

I'm not a Derek Holland fan at all, so this move doesn't bug me. Cubs were looking for a lefty that could pitch to both right-handed and left-handed hitters, but Holland has been massacred by right-handed bats so far this year (.293/.386/.636/1.022).

Brewers were in on Holland per BrewCrew site.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived