Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-26: Cubs (Hendricks) at Brewers (González) [Brewers win, 3-2 -- Gio goes 6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 SO before exiting with shoulder tightness; Gamel’s 2-RBI go ahead single in 8th is the game winner]

Eye Black

I forsee an opportunity for Maddon to put in a LH reliever to face Thames/Shaw, only for CC to PH Braun for Thames. Maddon can then either waste a pitcher and bring in a RH(who would then have to face Shaw next), or else Braun gets to face a lefty that is probably very bad against RH bats. I like how CC is setting himself up for the inevitable PH/reliever chess match later in the game.

I'll add to this, the Cubs only have 1 active lefty on the roster currently(they'll have 2 when Holland is activated). I already understood why they brought Shaw up for this series, but it makes even more sense when factoring that in...we'll have a ton of LH PH for their mostly RH bullpen.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some potential weak spots in the defense tonight. Thames in the OF always scares me and I’m not warm and fuzzy about Shaw at 1B either. Though he can’t really be much worse than Aguilar.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I'd be willing to bet that Shaw would be the best defensive 1B on the team.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Braun has been perfectly solid lately, but just isn't a must start guy at this point in his career, and like most guys his age (Thames included), his workload needs to be managed.

With Braun almost certainly starting the next two games and guys like Thames and Shaw almost certainly on the bench, it makes sense to get them a start today and have Braun come off the bench. Plus Counsell often likes to combine a team off day with a player off day to get them a 2 day breather.

I do agree Shaw is likely the best defensive 1B we have and not a concern there. That is his natural position and if I'm not mistaken he has been a late defensive substitute there for both Thames and Aguilar in the past.

Verified Member
Disappointing that Braun is out of any Cubs games. In any case would rather have Gamel in the lineup especially defensively. Hopefully Thames pays off.

Yeah, I'd rather bring Thames off the bench and let Gamel roam the OF.

Braun has been perfectly solid lately, but just isn't a must start guy at this point in his career, and like most guys his age (Thames included), his workload needs to be managed.

OPS’ing 1.021 in the last 7 days, 1.009 in the last 14 days, .881 in the last 28 days and .839 in the last calendar year. On top of that, he’s OPS’ing .907 at home and over 1.000 in the second half so far. I think we have to start accepting that Braun isn’t nearly as bad as some want to make him out to being around here. He’s heating up only to be cooled down by a manager that has pushed a lot of wrong buttons this season.

He got an off day yesterday and didn’t start Monday. He’s had enough rest. Play the man if you’re looking to make a push before the deadline.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I didn’t realize 1B was Shaw’s original natural position. It seemed like he was billed as a 3B when the Brewers acquired him and that he had played mostly at 3B in his last year in Boston.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I didn’t realize 1B was Shaw’s original natural position. It seemed like he was billed as a 3B when the Brewers acquired him and that he had played mostly at 3B in his last year in Boston.

I’d imagine that most quality 3B in the majors could play 1B pretty well. But I remember reading that Shaw ranked the highest defensively at 1B during his time in Boston. Plus, Aguilar and Thames are defensive hacks.

Verified Member
I’d rather Thames play first and gamel play the outfield. No one is abandoning the USS Shaw. Let’s go down with the ship

I like giving the guy a start right off the bat. Give him at least 3 ABs at a regular spot in the order rather than bringing him in to PH in high leverage situation late in the game. He's hit well enough if AAA to earn a start.

Verified Member
Travis started as a first baseman in Boston and they converted him to a third baseman. Good to see him back up and I hope now he is the guy this team has seen before.

Im not gonna say "must win", however this series will be the catalyst of how the rest of the season is handled. A Brewers sweep, big buy. Cubs sweep, big sell. Take two, pick up some pieces. Take one, may sell a little. May tonight be the start of a big losing streak for the Cubs, where the fans riot at Wrigley! They are insufferable!

OPS’ing 1.021 in the last 7 days, 1.009 in the last 14 days, .881 in the last 28 days and .839 in the last calendar year. On top of that, he’s OPS’ing .907 at home and over 1.000 in the second half so far. I think we have to start accepting that Braun isn’t nearly as bad as some want to make him out to being around here. He’s heating up only to be cooled down by a manager that has pushed a lot of wrong buttons this season.

He got an off day yesterday and didn’t start Monday. He’s had enough rest. Play the man if you’re looking to make a push before the deadline.

Ok, and Thames has a .871 OPS versus righties and. 862 for the year. It's a virtual wash.

No one thinks Braun is bad, he's fine. He will have some good and bad stretches and probably finish exactly around the .800 OPS he's at right now. He's been playing well. Him continuing to play well will likely depend on plenty of rest. Thames is at. 862. He has hit well this season. It's just not that big of a deal if Braun doesn't get a start over Thames. It's not like Yelich sitting or even Hiura, and it's not like they're giving Saladino the start over Braun.

Fox Sports terminated its relationship with Sling. Really lame. Anyone use a different streaming service? I'm sure there has to be one, but there are so many I'm not aware of one that has FSNWI.

Apparently Dish Network as well. At least I won’t have to pay that bill any more....

Supek and Willams just got moved to aaa.

giphy.gif

Kind of perplexing it would take this long for players with a lot of potential to help the MLB team, while an army of AAAA players and journeymen continue to do the San Antonio Shuffle.

Supek and Willams just got moved to aaa.

I am weirdly disappointed with this as I think it means Supak isn't coming up to MLB.

They didn’t rush Hiura, to a fault even, I just couldn’t see them bumping Supak from AA to the bigs.

Archived