Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-26: Cubs (Hendricks) at Brewers (González) [Brewers win, 3-2 -- Gio goes 6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 SO before exiting with shoulder tightness; Gamel’s 2-RBI go ahead single in 8th is the game winner]

Eye Black
Houser should stay in the pen where he belongs.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What in the hell are we going to do for pitching now? We literally don’t have a pitching staff

The last thing I want is the San Antonio missions starting five.

You don’t want a pitcher from the 1st place San Antonio Missions?!?

Well now that you say it that way

What in the hell are we going to do for pitching now? We literally don’t have a pitching staff

The last thing I want is the San Antonio missions starting five.

Davies and Anderson have been solid this year, can’t really got much worse than Chacin, Gio has been hurt for months...Woodruff is the only thing that has really changed in the last week and were due to have a couple guys like Suter and Nelson coming back, plus a potential trade arm. We are fine.

this_is_fine.jpeg

:laughing

Chacin was sub par.

Gio has been hurt.

Woodruff is the only pitcher on our staff that got injured that mattered.

Wow how dare I state facts?

Gio matters, especially as the only lefty in the rotation.

Chacin was their best starter last year, and there is still time for him to be at least ok.

We don't have many proven starters, and it doesn't look great. To be seriously considered we need starters at the deadline.

One last thing — we did not have a good pitching staff in 2018 and were one game short of the World Series. We filled our rotation with has beens and unreliable young guys and Chacin. People spent the entire season complaining about the rotation saying it couldn’t work. It worked, minus one game.

Our offense right now might be the most lethal the Brewers have EVER had. I’m not talking exclusively about numbers, I’m talking about the ability to produce runs, which aren’t the same. Shaw, Aggie and Locain have all underperformed...and Pina. Top to bottom, nobody wants to face our lineup. Pitching doesn’t always win championships, whoever gets hot (hit or miss) in October does. If you can get to October you can win a title if things fall into place at the correct time.

Wildcards have won the World Series before and so have teams you might argue were the worst team in the playoffs. All we need to do is get there.

Chacin was sub par.

Gio has been hurt.

Gio matters, especially as the only lefty in the rotation.

Chacin was their best starter last year, and there is still time for him to be at least ok.

We don't have many proven starters, and it doesn't look great. To be seriously considered we need starters at the deadline.

I’m going to save you from the debilitating disease called hope

Do yourself a favor. Give up on chacin. Enjoy your summer

I don't disagree. I love Houser in the pen this season, although I think he'll be a starter eventually. But their hands are pretty well tied unless they find another couple starters somewhere.

I'm still on the Supak bandwagon.

Probably a starter acquired before the deadline. If Gio doesn't miss a start, you're covered right there without moving Houser back to the rotation.

Don't know where Nelson is at. I saw he quietly made a rehab start the other day, but it did not go well. You would think Suter is close, but I haven't heard much. Supposedly Bobby Wahl is about on the same timeline as Suter, Wahl being a pen option of course.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Compelling...and rich
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't disagree. I love Houser in the pen this season, although I think he'll be a starter eventually. But their hands are pretty well tied unless they find another couple starters somewhere.

Probably a starter acquired before the deadline. If Gio doesn't miss a start, you're covered right there without moving Houser back to the rotation.

Don't know where Nelson is at. I saw he quietly made a rehab start the other day, but it did not go well. You would think Suter is close, but I haven't heard much. Supposedly Bobby Wahl is about on the same timeline as Suter, Wahl being a pen option of course.

At this point, how can one have any confidence in Jimmy Nelson’s timeline. It has never even come close to accurate.

I was hyped to see Supak until I saw his inability to strikeout batters. He may be good but it screams struggles the higher he goes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Chacin was sub par.

Gio has been hurt.

If they had pitchers better than Gonzalez we would have seen them a long time ago.

Even if you think Woodruff is the only pitcher that mattered, just losing him is a big blow. Then losing two more veteran starters puts a huge dent in the depth. No way that losing Gonzalez doesn’t matter. If you have to throw Houser back into the rotation that weakens the already thin bullpen.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

One last thing — we did not have a good pitching staff in 2018 and were one game short of the World Series. We filled our rotation with has beens and unreliable young guys and Chacin. People spent the entire season complaining about the rotation saying it couldn’t work. It worked, minus one game.

Our offense right now might be the most lethal the Brewers have EVER had. I’m not talking exclusively about numbers, I’m talking about the ability to produce runs, which aren’t the same. Shaw, Aggie and Locain have all underperformed...and Pina. Top to bottom, nobody wants to face our lineup. Pitching doesn’t always win championships, whoever gets hot (hit or miss) in October does. If you can get to October you can win a title if things fall into place at the correct time.

Rotation AND Bullpen have been below avg. Each needs to be substantially better to be in the running. Problem is injuries are hurting us in the rotatuon, we don't have huge prospects to deal for big upgrades while other NL teams do, and so many relievers have shown no consistency.

We need some stabilization soon on staff- other teams' #4's and 5's even, along with a semireliable arm in the pen... tall tasks.

You should be happy the Brewers are about to be one game back of the division lead

Somebody forgot about the Cardinals, who are suddenly scoring runs in droves with red hot Goldschmidt leading the way. He must think he’s playing the Brewers.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

You should be happy the Brewers are about to be one game back of the division lead

Somebody forgot about the Cardinals, who are suddenly scoring runs in droves with red hot Goldschmidt leading the way. He must think he’s playing the Brewers.

Didn’t forget. Spent my first 13 years as a Brewers fan without even really coming close to the playoffs. I like to enjoy a playoff run and not hear talks of selling when you’re 1 game out of first place. Enjoy it dude. We don’t get this spot often, have you forgotten the early 2000’s? I don’t want to scrap a season we have a shot at.

Didn’t forget. Spent my first 13 years as a Brewers fan without even really coming close to the playoffs. I like to enjoy a playoff run and not hear talks of selling when you’re 1 game out of first place. Enjoy it dude. We don’t get this spot often, have you forgotten the early 2000’s? I don’t want to scrap a season we have a shot at.

I think he was just pointing out that with the Cardinals win, we are still 2 games back, not 1.

Houser and Freddie right now are the best in the pen this year but will be future starters. I think you are right about Houser he the best suited to take Gio next start if needed,

August 2019 is technically the future... unless Gio's shoulder is not as bad as we all fear.

I think he was just pointing out that with the Cardinals win, we are still 2 games back, not 1.

Correct.

Having followed the Brewers since I attended their first opener in 1970 (that 12-0 loss to the Angels) while I was a senior in high school, I definitely remember the 2000’s, along with all 50 years of their existence. I am not advocating selling, but I also have been around long enough that to recognize that the Brewers pitching situation does not position them well for the stretch run.

At this point, call up Supak, move Houser and Peralta to the rotation.

DFA Albers and Wilkerson.

Call up Rasmussen, Nelson, and Ponce.

Use Nelson in the pen for blowouts, if nothing else.

They could do all of these things but it would be the equivalent of waving the white flag. The Brewers aren’t going to be able to stay with the teams that will be beefing up their rosters with pitchers with major league experience by calling up a bunch of minor leaguers, some of whom haven’t pitched above AAA.

DFA’ing Albers, who has been one of the more effective relievers this year, would be the dumbest thing they could do from that list of moves. I have no doubt that other contenders would be happy to pick him up.

With the injuries, picking up at least one starter with major league experience is a necessary

(but hardly a sufficient) move for the Brewers to stay in contention.

Still 2 games out. It seems you have indeed forgotten about the Cardinals, because they are in 1st place alone, not the Cubs, so they need to lose for us to gain ground on 1st.

These posts getting up on a soap box about how long someone’s been a fan and yada, yada, yada baffle me. No one cares! :laughing People talk of a sell off because they haven’t been good. It is/was warranted. If you don’t want to see it, don’t read it or comment on it. Now, they pulled themselves up last night but they basically have one hand pulling them out of the grave and their legs are broken so it’s going to be a difficult climb out of that 6ft hole.

I think Houser has a real shot at being a useful starter, Freddy less so. I’d move Houser into the rotation, keep Freddy where he is and hope you can get a semi useful bullpen piece or two for cheap at the deadline.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Archived