Brewer Fanatic

Travis Shaw Recalled from Triple-A

pacopete4
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
People go nuts over weird things. For example, people are currently going nuts over an outlandish trade proposal in the transaction rumors forum. Seems an odd use of time.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it should be noted that if shaw is being recalled to take the place of an injured jhoulys chacin, burch smith (who has been used exclusively as a starter with san antonio) cannot be recalled until eight days from now, as smith must meet the requisite 10-day stay optioned to the minors (unless replacing another injured player).

With word that Syndergaard really is on the block...

***whispers softly***

what if it's to replace Hiura when he's dealt to NY?

Syndergaard has been unimpressive the past two seasons. I like the guy, and would love to have him, but feel he is deeply over rated...

Let me ask this hypothetically, would you trade Hiura if you could get DeGrom instead of Syndergaard??

Absolutely not. If you’re interested in getting an ace, sign 28 year old Gerrit Cole in the offseason for 6/$160 instead of giving up 6+ years of a young middle of the order bat for a 31 year old on a 5/$137.5 million contract as it is. Makes no sense to waste resources to take on a huge contract when you could go get one on a similar deal in the offseason without giving up your future all-star second baseman.

only one start in the first three games . . .

Because they’ve faced 2-LHP

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

the club knew that when he was recalled.

Uhh, yeah. What’s your point? He was called up long term, not for a weekend series. He will get his at bats.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

barring a trade or injury of jesus aguilar, mike moustakas or eric thames, i'm not convinced that travis shaw is up for the long term.

even with five off days in august, i doubt that the brewers will continue with a 12-man pitching staff.

travis shaw, trent grisham and eric thames all in the starting lineup today. perhaps shaw is indeed up for the long term . . .

Well, they won't have the benefit of the DH the rest of the way.

I'm assuming one of Grisham or Shaw is sent down in mid August and comes back up Sept 1.

wow. with the optioning of tyler saladino, travis shaw is considered a backup shortstop.

Arcia has to play every inning for a while but if Arcia gets hurt they can just bring Saladino right back.

if within the next 10 days, a player would have to be placed on the injured list in order to recall saladino. it wouldn't have to be arcia placed on the injured list--just any player.

wow. with the optioning of tyler saladino, travis shaw is considered a backup shortstop.

Arcia has to play every inning for a while but if Arcia gets hurt they can just bring Saladino right back.

if within the next 10 days, a player would have to be placed on the injured list in order to recall saladino. it wouldn't have to be arcia placed on the injured list--just any player.

Correct, but this situation would be the one that would be dire enough to recall Saladino out of necessity.

He may get recalled anyways if Shaw rolls his ankle but all I'm saying is that Arcia will just not sit for the next 10 days unless he's hurt.

Correct, but this situation would be the one that would be dire enough to recall Saladino out of necessity.

He may get recalled anyways if Shaw rolls his ankle but all I'm saying is that Arcia will just not sit for the next 10 days unless he's hurt.

The Brewers have at least one off day every week from now until September. Arcia could easily play every meaningful defensive inning from now until then without a problem.

How often does Arcia play traditional SS anyway. I don't think not having a "legit" backup SS is really a big deal at all. Shaw or Moose can handle their own for a few innings if need be with all the shifts the Brewers do.

Per Baseball Savant, Brewers shift on 36.5% of all plate appearances. So he plays traditional SS ~63.5% of the time. I agree that for a couple of innings to finish the game it's not a big deal, but shifting hasn't gotten to the point where it has significantly affected the defensive requirements to play the position well.

The problem with Shaw on the roster instead of Aguilar, Saladino, Perez or another RH bat is that they now are overloaded with LH bats. Making it worse, Grandal isn't much of a hitter from the right side, and Braun and Cain need days off.

The solution in the short term is bringing up Freitas who is killing LH pitching in the minors and who is fully capable of playing 1B as well as catcher or simply bringing back Perez who's demotion off the roster was ill advised in that he's been better over his career than Saladino, and when a utility player goes into a slump over 30-35 AB's as Perez did, it tends to last a few weeks. Making Hernan the scapegoat wasn't the best move.

The problem with Shaw on the roster instead of Aguilar, Saladino, Perez or another RH bat is that they now are overloaded with LH bats. Making it worse, Grandal isn't much of a hitter from the right side, and Braun and Cain need days off.

The solution in the short term is bringing up Freitas who is killing LH pitching in the minors and who is fully capable of playing 1B as well as catcher or simply bringing back Perez who's demotion off the roster was ill advised in that he's been better over his career than Saladino, and when a utility player goes into a slump over 30-35 AB's as Perez did, it tends to last a few weeks. Making Hernan the scapegoat wasn't the best move.

I do agree that we're overloaded on LHB but Grandal actually has a higher OPS from from the right side than the left side this season.

Archived