Brewer Fanatic

Travis Shaw Recalled from Triple-A

pacopete4
Per Robert Murray of The Atlantic: #Brewers recalling infielder Travis Shaw, sources tell me and @Ken_Rosenthal.

Happy to see him back!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting...so the bench is:

UTIL: Saladino

1B/3B: Shaw

C: Pina

OF: Gamel

1B: Thames/Aguilar

This has a distinct smell of more moves to be made. Shaw plays better everyday and not as a PH.

Perhaps Thames is being moved and Shaw will platoon at 1B with Aguilar.

I'm with you...this has the smell of something else being in the works..because to do it right now before a series with the Cubs when they will face two lefties?? Although, I did hear some radio chatter that PERHAPS they may play Moose at SS.

with an off day today and monday, the brewers don't need another starter for the immediate future. if tuesday in oakland is start by committee, the club can afford to keep shaw through the series in oakland and use him or another infielder as the dh.

but after the oakland series, barring a trade at the deadline, i wouldn't be surprised to see him optioned back down . . .

Community Moderator
He is taking the roster spot opened up by Jhoulys Chacin's IL stint. Works in the short term, but obviously longer term they will need to add another starting pitcher to the 25-man roster.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Cool! He hit well in San Antonio, and deserves another shot. Roster construction is a little wonky, but you can always find room for another dangerous hitter.

Can you? With 4 guys playing 2 positions, just not enough ABs to go around. Sure, they can have Moose play some 2B again- if you want to sit Hiura. Thames could play some OF, also not ideal.

Am I missing something? I don't know Shaw could pitch...

As explained already, you don’t need a SP for a bit. Use this spot as extra offense for now.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cool! He hit well in San Antonio, and deserves another shot. Roster construction is a little wonky, but you can always find room for another dangerous hitter.

Can you? With 4 guys playing 2 positions, just not enough ABs to go around. Sure, they can have Moose play some 2B again- if you want to sit Hiura. Thames could play some OF, also not ideal.

Well, Shaw has two innings of LF work on his resume

With word that Syndergaard really is on the block...

***whispers softly***

what if it's to replace Hiura when he's dealt to NY?

The implosion here would be massive.

As it should be. This just smells like the first piece of something larger. The roster construction doesn't work with Shaw as a bench bat.

I’m hoping they go full on Clancy and play Moose at SS :laughing

Thames is in a bit of a slump. Seems like Shaw will get a good amount of time at 1B if he's hitting.

.316/.494/.754, 8 HR, 19:17 BB:K in 77 PA at AAA. Hope he's found it again.

Only a little over a month to go until September. Some creative roster management could make it so that we can keep Shaw/Aguilar/Thames on the same roster until then.

Yup, if no one else gets hurt (and assume Shaw does well) you can DL Thames after the Oak series and then give him a few games in the minors and all of a sudden you're 2 weeks from September. Or send Shaw down again for a bit and the 10 day rule to keep in the minors gets you to 2.5 weeks away.

I guess I'm a little concerned the eventual corresponding move will be to send Hiura down...when pitching is needed. After his first senddown, I've lost a bit of confidence in their roster decision making...

I don't make absolute statements on here....but I can absolutely say they're not sending Hiura back down...almost. Maybe to a 10-day stint if they've got any concerns about the...what was it again, quad injury? But they're not sending Hiura back down now.

I was bullish on Hirura(not THIS confident) but I understood there were several factors in sending him back down last time. There is no logical reason to do so now and I don't think they would even consider it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I remember MULTIPLE iterations of lineup projections that had Agular at 3rd base...as a regular. So....yeah, I think if that's the bar we're setting, Aguilar at 3rd, Moose at SS works just fine for me! Of course I do hope that's not actually the bar we're setting as our pitchers have enough trouble getting 3 outs an inning, no reason to give the other team an extra 5 or 6 a game.

As for "Thor," does anyone actually really want him that badly? I don't want to make a trade in which we give up Turang as the centerpiece for Syndergaard....if we gave up Hiura...it just feels like the baseball version of throwing good money after bad.

Missing the playoffs in a year you expected to compete sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Compounding the disappointment by trading away the potential cornerstones to your future in an effort cling to the hopes that you can get back to where you were last year when you just missed out, that just strikes me as desperate and dumb. Something I don't think even the best GM's are immune to at some point in their career, but I really hope Stearns just doesn't give anything up.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I like Syndergaard as much as the next guy but Hiura isn't getting traded at this point IMO. Just no way no how when he's just scratching the surface of how valuable he's going to be the next 6+ years.

I remember MULTIPLE iterations of lineup projections that had Agular at 3rd base...as a regular. So....yeah, I think if that's the bar we're setting, Aguilar at 3rd, Moose at SS works just fine for me! Of course I do hope that's not actually the bar we're setting as our pitchers have enough trouble getting 3 outs an inning, no reason to give the other team an extra 5 or 6 a game.

As for "Thor," does anyone actually really want him that badly? I don't want to make a trade in which we give up Turang as the centerpiece for Syndergaard....if we gave up Hiura...it just feels like the baseball version of throwing good money after bad.

Missing the playoffs in a year you expected to compete sucks, but it's not the end of the world. Compounding the disappointment by trading away the potential cornerstones to your future in an effort cling to the hopes that you can get back to where you were last year when you just missed out, that just strikes me as desperate and dumb. Something I don't think even the best GM's are immune to at some point in their career, but I really hope Stearns just doesn't give anything up.

Amazing summary of where I hope Stearns is currently. If the team can be improved via a deal that makes sense, (e.g. Syndergaard for a package of something like Peralta, Ray and Lutz) go for it. If the only trades there to be made are ridiculous asks, (e.g. Stroman for Burnes and Ray) by all means hold off and regroup for 2020.

Archived