Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-24: Reds (Sims) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Chacín leaves with rib discomfort; Braun and Hiura each hit a HR]

Eye Black
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Yelich swinging so dang hard? You don't need to hit it 500 feet for it to count as a run. 375 is more than enough in most of the park...

I think he’s showing the strain of trying to carry a struggling team on his back.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

DJ didn't blow out Knebel's arm and he has nothing to do with Shaw hitting .160 and Aguilar waiting until mid July to be decent or Wade Miley playing somewhere else. This idea that a fat old coach is responsible for 15+/- wins is ridiculous and embarrassing. He was, at most, a mistake that a really good team should've overcome - if it was even possible to keep him around, which it may not have been. It's just getting really old imo.

It is impossible that DJ is the reason a whole organization of pitchers went from above average to absolute trash. There is just no way one person is the cause for the total and utter demise of about 15 different pitching abilities.

Coaching matters.... Norman Dale showed us that in Hoosiers. Then again, without Jimmy, they do not sniff Butler Fieldhouse.

DJ didn't blow out Knebel's arm and he has nothing to do with Shaw hitting .160 and Aguilar waiting until mid July to be decent or Wade Miley playing somewhere else. This idea that a fat old coach is responsible for 15+/- wins is ridiculous and embarrassing. He was, at most, a mistake that a really good team should've overcome - if it was even possibly to keep him around, which it may not have been. It's just getting really old imo.

I'll add to that, it's not like Chacin/Peralta/Burnes/etc simply forgot everything DJ worked with them on over the last year. And while some guys got worse, Anderson improved a bit and Woodruff/Davies improved greatly AFTER DJ left. So yeah, I tend to agree with this post.

You think Miracle on Ice happens without Herb Brooks?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

RYAN BRAUN FOREVER BABY!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The change in pitching coaches is the biggest reason why we aren't making the playoffs. Stearns screwed up big time letting Johnson leave. I wish we would bring back Johnson to replace Counsell; not that I hate Counsell but Johnson meant more to this team than the rest of the coaching staff combined and 3/4 of the roster.

The actual guys throwing the ball don't get any of the blame?

If its all on the pitchers why even hire a pitching coach at all. Of course the pitchers take a ton of the blame for their poor performance but you can't ignore that this pitching staff has gotten much worse under Hook and that Cincy has gotten much better under Johnson.

You can't actually think that they have the 3rd of 4th best staff in MLB because thats where their team ERA sits while we get bombed nearly every night.

It is impossible that DJ is the reason a whole organization of pitchers went from above average to absolute trash. There is just no way one person is the cause for the total and utter demise of about 15 different player's pitching ability.

You are ignoring the fact that he has lifted the pitching staffs on two different teams. I will never understand how some just underestimate the loss of Johnson and the obvious downgrade to Hook.

Just like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle on this argument. Of course DJ matters. And of course our pitchers shouldn’t be straight bums on their own.

For what it’s worth (ain’t much), I was told by someone that works for the Brewers that part of the reason he wanted out was the differences he had in the thought of how pitchers should be used and the analytical approach the Brewers have taken.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The change in pitching coaches is the biggest reason why we aren't making the playoffs. Stearns screwed up big time letting Johnson leave. I wish we would bring back Johnson to replace Counsell; not that I hate Counsell but Johnson meant more to this team than the rest of the coaching staff combined and 3/4 of the roster.

The actual guys throwing the ball don't get any of the blame?

If its all on the pitchers why even hire a pitching coach at all. Of course the pitchers take a ton of the blame for their poor performance but you can't ignore that this pitching staff has gotten much worse under Hook and that Cincy has gotten much better under Johnson.

You can't actually think that they have the 3rd of 4th best staff in MLB because thats where their team ERA sits while we get bombed nearly every night.

Well, Cincy basically rebuilt their pitching staff this year, and the majority of their pitchers are performing near career norms. The talent level has increased dramatically, so it stands to reason that the stats would also improve. The biggest difference is they haven't had the multiple negative regression guys that the Brewers have had.

Saying that the Brewers pitching is getting bombed every night is a pretty major case of hyperbole too.

It is impossible that DJ is the reason a whole organization of pitchers went from above average to absolute trash. There is just no way one person is the cause for the total and utter demise of about 15 different player's pitching ability.

You are ignoring the fact that he has lifted the pitching staffs on two different teams. I will never understand how some just underestimate the loss of Johnson and the obvious downgrade to Hook.

Nobody is saying they wouldn't take him back. They are saying the pitching coach is not a 12-WAR contributor and has limited influence. This DJ nonsense is over-simplifying a complicated thing.

Strike out 2, then turn back into a bum. Jeez

Just taking a quick look at the Reds pitchers I see a Castillo that has greatly improved, Mahle and DeSclafani putting up similar numbers as last year, and then Gray and Roark replacing the trash of Sal Romano, Homer Bailey, and Matt Harvey. I think simply having better pitchers is helping the Reds quite a bit.

Sims looks fairly mediocre to me. That curve is definitely a plus pitch, his fastball is meh and he doesn't throw the change much...so I'm assuming it's not that great either.

Hiura disagrees with an imitation of Arcia.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just taking a quick look at the Reds pitchers I see a Castillo that has greatly improved, Mahle and DeSclafani putting up similar numbers as last year, and then Gray and Roark replacing the trash of Sal Romano, Homer Bailey, and Matt Harvey. I think simply having better pitchers is helping the Reds quite a bit.

Castillo was an easy call as a breakout candidate too. Looked like he was putting things together at times last year. A lot of pundits predicted the leap from him this year.

Perhaps DJ saw the writing on the wall that the ragtag bunch that the Brewers had put together in the pitching department would be unable to match what they did last year. If so, moving on to a new team on a pitching rebuild project was probably a solid career choice.

Are they the third or fourth best staff in baseball which is what their team ERA says it is. When you throw in what ballpark they play in its even more impressive. Meanwhile we have most of the same staff as last year and we can't get anyone out.

Where is the accountability? Where is the accountability? Who is responsible for this mess? You cannot continue to run Chacin out there. In the words of Vince Lombardi what the heck is going on out here?

It's countered by the sheer lack of other options. For some reason, this team believes Chacin is one of their 4 best starting options right now, yet Trey Supak looks like a AA Cy Young and can't even get a promotion to AAA. Maddening.

So true.

We better be pinch hitting to start the bottom half.

Archived