Brewer Fanatic

Brewer’s All Time Failed Expectations Team

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, if you look back at it now, without knowing what Molitor would do over the next 6 seasons, you would've been run out of BF.net for signing him to the deal he signed for -- 3 years, 12 million - which would've been ~13% of the teams salary - for an oft injured single-position playing 36 year old.

This is based on the assumption that Molitor was demanding that to stay in Milwaukee. I believe he agreed to a 2 year deal before the Blue Jays offered a 3rd year at the last minute because they were worried about him going back to Milwaukee.

Molitor didn't even start considering other teams until a month after the season and no word from the Brewers.

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/brew-crew-confidential/messy-divorce-brewers-paul-molitor/

I don't think the Bf.net would be the least bit upset about signing someone for 3 years and 50 million when they were coming off the type of seasons Molitor was even if that is what it would have taken to sign him, but they instead offered him a pay cut. And the fact that this was a career Brewer also absolutely factors into it. This isn't Willy Randolph coming over later in his career or Dave Parker, it's a career boarderline HOF'er(at the time) who wants to be there. And you're just basically ignoring him, hoping he signs with someone else so you can justify not spending the money on him.

You realize the Brewers didn't offer Molitor or Chris Bosio arbitration after the 1992 season? Meaning even if Bosio and Molitor were willing to play for Milwaukee on one year deals, they didn't want them back, and were willing to let their two best players from 1992 (and their highest paid and 4th highest paid) walk without even receiving draft compensation. It wasn't a bad decision from a poor baseball man; it was an edict from a bad owner to cut payroll.

So, you're incorrect here. Selig did offer Molitor arbitration, even if it was in the last hour of his opportunity to do so. Molitor turned it down and signed with Toronto.

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/brew-crew-confidential/messy-divorce-brewers-paul-molitor/

As the zero hour approached, Bando and Selig suddenly jumped back into the negotiations. With less than an hour before the deadline, Selig unexpectedly called Molitor with an arbitration offer while Bando announced the move to the media. “When Selig was speaking to me,” Molitor later recalled, “all I could think of was that we were down to the last hour and he’s doing something that’s going to play with my emotions.”

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Saw Jeffery Hammonds mentioned a few times. I'm not sure why anyone had any great expectations regarding him. I remember that signing pretty clearly and how excited people were about it. I just didn't get it. I think people were excited because it was arguably the Brewers first big splash into the FA market. The gave him a $23M/3 year contract which at the time was pretty big for a team like the Brewers. He was coming off a career year. However, it was his only year in Colorado and just about every year up to that point he had experienced lost time due to injuries. Also, other than that one year in Colorado, his numbers were not that impressive. The Brewers were trying to create a buzz heading into their new stadium and, in my opinion, had spent way too much on the wrong guy.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived