Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen management

I don't know how everyone knew that he was done. He cruised into that inning and then walked a guy and gave up the bomb.. It looked like he was stuggling a bit but I don't think it was obvious to take him out until he walked another. If that were the case, many of our starters would not last more than an inning or two.

It just seems like whenever we lose we were either "Yosted" or someone messed up. Wise could have limited the damage and we could have scored more runs. We lost a game because we played poorly. He could have taken cappy out after the homer and it still didn't look like we were going to challenge anyone offensively yesterday.

I just find this all silly when anyone says that it should have been done like this or that. If its said in the IGT it at least has a little credibility. But still some say it over and over and when they are right they rip yost, but most of the time they are wrong, things work out, and nothing is said then. Funny how that works. It seems all well and good but when the game is going on it is much more difficult. It's just funny to see a bunch of people that all have this easy solution to how a game should of been won.

Quote:
I just don't think those are situations that have a clear cut right or wrong answer. At least not until it unfolds one way or the other.

That's exactly right. If Cappy gets thru the inning with no additional damage after the home run, there wouldn't be a single post calling it a bad decision to leave him in.

It's an argument that Yost simply can't win in hindsight. And it's an argument that would never be made if the results were different. Yet Cappy wouldn't have been any more or less tired regardless of the outcome.

So since some are clearly choosing to bash his bullpen management based on the results of a particular decision, wouldn't it be more beneficial to judge his results over a series of decisions? Perhaps a season's worth of decisions? Judge him by how the team (or in this case the pitching staff) performs to expectations over time. You guys are gonna have a brain hemhorrage nitpicking every decision the guy makes.

I don't agree with every decision the guy makes, either. But, overall, I think he's a pretty good manager - as far as managers go. In general, I don't think managers win or lose ballgames. They just need to captain the ship, and keep it moving in the right direction. As long as the manager isn't a complete incompetent (which I clearly don't believe Yost is) the players will win and lose the games.

I was hoping to see some conversation about how Yost manages the bullpen in general--not specifically to the last game. Anyone can analyze and rip apart any given game but I was talking as a whole.

IN GENERAL, I think he lacks in this area and I'm afraid it will cost games down the stretch but I'm not sure how he measures up to other MLB managers and I thought I'd see some arguments both ways but this thread has turned into whether or not he should have pulled Cappy. That wasn't my intention.

I was hoping to see some conversation about how Yost manages the bullpen in general--not specifically to the last game.
One of my general complaints over the years was when Ned would have a guy sitting for a couple weeks without getting into a game because he wanted him available for when his 'role' was needed. That'd usually be the long man.

There are too many times when he wastes good innings from Villanueva in blowouts, and too many times when he puts Spurling in the perfect position to blow the game.
As a long man, one of Carlos' roles is to eat innings in blowouts. But we've also seen him in other roles. Because he should be able to provide a lot of innings, I think it's good that he's used extensively.

As a matter of fact, I think Ned's use of Carlos somewhat negates my previous concerns about him letting a guy sit for days on end.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

"As a long man, one of Carlos' roles is to eat innings in blowouts."

True. And at the start of the season, I think we were all OK with that. But as the season has progressed, and CV has shown himself to be one of our most reliable pitchers, the idea of burning him up for the next 2-3 days with an extended outing in a blowout has lost a lot of its luster.

It's a nice problem to have; I'm guessing you can count on one hand (and maybe on zero) the number of teams with a better long man than Villy has been over the first half this year.

What to do about it? Paging Claudio Vargas....Claudio Vargas to the bullpen.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived