Brewer Fanatic

Rays have expressed interest in Jesus Aguilar

Thames is due $7.5 mil next year with his player option, I’m assuming he will exercise that.

Would we rather rid of that contract instead of Aguilars league min? Not discrediting Thames production this year, but for the money could we spend it better elsewhere? Teams would have to want Thames though, which could be a tough sell.

Team option not player option

I don't know the Rays well enough to know who they have, nor what level of player(s) we could expect in return, but I'd be very much open to a deal. Jesus has been much better lately; hell even as far back as May 1st he's .271/.375/.436. So it's not really based on his overall numbers this year. I think his overall 117 OPS+ with the Brewers is relatively close to who he is. But he's a 1B only (Where he's about average defensively) RHH who is one of the slowest players in the game. So all he offers is the bat, and does so as an awkward roster fit. So the bat needs to be really, really good to be worth it.

The downside of course is that his value is at a low point. Rays seem to be looking for a platoon complement for Lowe/Choi/Meadows at 1B and/or DH. Not going to pay a fortune for that really. Then there's also the fact that when the Rays wants one of your players you should probably be wary.

Anyway, if Aguilar leaves then I'd play Grandal at 1st against LHP, and bring up Shaw or Nottingham/Freitas to take the roster spot.

Community Moderator
I don't know the Rays well enough to know who they have, nor what level of player(s) we could expect in return, but I'd be very much open to a deal. Jesus has been much better lately; hell even as far back as May 1st he's .271/.375/.436. So it's not really based on his overall numbers this year. I think his overall 117 OPS+ with the Brewers is relatively close to who he is. But he's a 1B only (Where he's about average defensively) RHH who is one of the slowest players in the game. So all he offers is the bat, and does so as an awkward roster fit. So the bat needs to be really, really good to be worth it.

The downside of course is that his value is at a low point. Rays seem to be looking for a platoon complement for Lowe/Choi/Meadows at 1B and/or DH. Not going to pay a fortune for that really. Then there's also the fact that when the Rays wants one of your players you should probably be wary.

Anyway, if Aguilar leaves then I'd play Grandal at 1st against LHP, and bring up Shaw or Nottingham/Freitas to take the roster spot.

This is a really good post that touches on a lot of great points.

I also think the fact that Shaw has been primarily playing 1B in San Antonio is foreshadowing that a move like this may actually be ahead.

I know it’s not ideal to lose a right-handed power bat from the roster, but I my sense is they would rather not waste two roster spots on a straight platoon at 1B (yes, I know Thames can stand in the OF in a pinch). If you move Aguilar and call up Shaw (assuming they believe he’s back to form) the positional flexibility all of a sudden looks much better among those that can play at the corner infield spots.

Moustakas- 3B / 2B

Shaw - 1B / 3B

Grandal - C / 1B

Thames - 1B

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Franchises like Tampa and Milwaukee should “collude” when one has an opportunity to win. Screw those big markets. /sorta blue
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I also think the fact that Shaw has been primarily playing 1B in San Antonio is foreshadowing that a move like this may actually be ahead.

I know it’s not ideal to lose a right-handed power bat from the roster, but I my sense is they would rather not waste two roster spots on a straight platoon at 1B (yes, I know Thames can stand in the OF in a pinch). If you move Aguilar and call up Shaw (assuming they believe he’s back to form) the positional flexibility all of a sudden looks much better among those that can play at the corner infield spots.

Moustakas- 3B / 2B

Shaw - 1B / 3B

Grandal - C / 1B

Thames - 1B

Aguilar would fit better than Thames on a roster with Shaw though, for platoon reasons

Or they could play Braun at 1B, and it would be a way to appease the "bring Grisham up" contingent.

And then immediately aggravate the "bring up Grisham" contingent when he doesn't hit like Hiura.

Though maybe he will. ATM it doesn't look like anyone can get him out, but he's a different player than Hiura, I'd like to see them take it easy with him. AAA the rest of this year and then to start next year in AAA like Hiura this year and see what you've got over a longer sample size.

Pretty damn giddy he's continued to mash like this though.

I don't know the Rays prospects well, but the little I know about their trade expectations seem to generally be wildly unrealistic and seldom result in anything fruitful.

Lots of guys I'd like to see moved if we're gonna sell. Aguilar is not one of them. He's cheap, he can hit, he's not great on the bases or in the field, but again, cheap.

If the Brewers are to do a short little re-load next year, clear some room and go out and get a TOR type pitcher. They have the money and they have enough guys who are cheap/coming off the books in the upcoming years. This "starting pitchers" losing value is a fallacy that we created because we got within a game of the WS with CC and a dominant pen patching together games and getting hot at the right time. I'd be extremely encouraged with a Cole/Woodruff/Burnes(he will get it together) top 3. And we look to have a much better pen next year, Hiura will be in year 2, I would expect Shaw and Aguilar to be much better. Grisham MAY be able to be a productive player, but you know Yellich will be. And as of now, that's the window we should be focused on. The 3 years of cheap, potential MVP like production.

If you don't get Cole, there are so many other good pitchers on the market, I guess you just wait and find the best bargain, but I wouldn't break the bank for any others, particularly Strausburg(who may or may not opt out).

Give me Colin Poche and it’s a deal.

My goodness, what pitch did he learn how to throw once he got to the pros?

And whoever taught him that pitch, offer him a promotion here.

Are you suggesting that he was a subpar minor league pitcher that suddenly blossomed in the pros?

He had an unlucky ERA in AAA over 27 innings this year and was otherwise unhittable prior to that.

Thames is due $7.5 mil next year with his player option, I’m assuming he will exercise that.

Would we rather rid of that contract instead of Aguilars league min? Not discrediting Thames production this year, but for the money could we spend it better elsewhere? Teams would have to want Thames though, which could be a tough sell.

Three different sites list Thames' 2020 contract as a Player Option, not a team option.

Moustakas- 3B / 2B

Shaw - 1B / 3B

Grandal - C / 1B

Thames - 1B

Shaw, Thames, and Moustakas all bat LH. That leaves Shaw w/o a position unless someone is dealt.

Three different sites list Thames' 2020 contract as a Player Option, not a team option.

Club Option.

"Thames signed for $4 million in 2017, $5 million in '18 and $6 million in '19. His contract includes a $7.5 million club option for 2020 with a $1 million buyout. He also can earn $500,000 per year in incentives for plate appearances."

https://www.mlb.com/news/brewers-add-eric-thames-on-three-year-deal/c-209796570

Give me Colin Poche and it’s a deal.

My goodness, what pitch did he learn how to throw once he got to the pros?

And whoever taught him that pitch, offer him a promotion here.

Are you suggesting that he was a subpar minor league pitcher that suddenly blossomed in the pros?

He had an unlucky ERA in AAA over 27 innings this year and was otherwise unhittable prior to that.

I'm not sold on Poche either. He's allowed 17 ERs in only 22 IPs. A whopping 6 HRs in those 22 IPs. Yes he does strikeout guys, but the runs allowed and especially the dingers are disturbing. How will that play out at Miller Park?

And many sites lists it as a team option, including ones that specialize on contracts/payrolls like Spotrac and Cot's contracts. Looking at the contract, and how the 2020 option is a salary increase and also lists a buyout, would make a team option seem a lot more likely.

This is a bit of a unique deadline in a lot of ways, but one thing in particular is lack of quality RH bats. The Rays have reportedly also shown interest in Castellanos and Pence, them and Jose Abreu are the only RH bats I can think of that are at least somewhat available and quality bats. The White Sox are reportedly being dumb and planning to not move Abreu, or maybe that was just posturing. But add in there are quite a few teams that could use a quality RH bat...especially considering how lefthanded so many of the contending teams are. Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, and Red Sox all have a majority LH SP...I think that and an oddly low number of quality RH bats available makes me think now might be the best time to sell Aguilar. That and he's heating up, which every team knows...so it's not like they can look at his season line and justify a lowball offer.

I'll also add, the Rays being interested tells me Aguilar is probably more valuable than most people think. That FO for whatever reason seems to be light years ahead of most other FO. I always wonder how teams like that don't have the Yankees and Red Sox offering double or triple salaries to their best people...maybe it happens, but I would think eventually the Rays would stop having the best FO and such excellent talent development if that were the case.

I think this might be close to what the Brewers could get for Aguilar.

Brewers receive: Poche and McClanahan

Rays receive: Aguilar

It works on the trade simulator but I am thinking the Rays may value Poche more than Aguilar.

I would prefer O'Brien though as I believe he still hasn't fully grown yet at 6-4 and only 180lb.

Archived