Brewer Fanatic

2019 Most Likely to Get Traded?

Who does everyone think is the most likely Brewer to be traded? My guess would be Corey Ray (unless he is hurt again as he hasn't played in a few games). Cain and Yelich are likely in Milwaukee for multiple more years and it would seem that the team could pick between Grisham and Ray to be Braun's eventual replacement. I don't know if either of them would gain in value sitting at AAA for two more years. Arcia would be my "sleeper" pick, but only if the Brewers see Dubon as more than a future utility player.

Hopefully Grandal and Moose. We have replacements at those positions that can help us finish this season with 83 wins.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think if someone calls to Overpay for Moose or Grandal think DS will need to look at that .I think they can move some of those mid tier arms but he keep any arm that projects as future starters. The one guy i hope some team looks for is Ray whom i think DS will trade for the right deal.

I could see Supak, Ashby and Grisham all dealt. Of the guys on the MLB roster, I think Arcia is the only one. I can't see Grandal and Moose dealt unless the team goes into an absolute tailspin over the next week and a half.

With Woody going down for 6 weeks, I WISH you were wrong, but I don't think you are.

I wonder what teams think of Grisham, where he'd be ranked to other executives. If they want to consider him to be a top 75 prospect, I'd deal him now. If they want to value him lower, I don't see any point in trading him.

I'm a little skeptical that he's as good as he's hitting right now just as I was a little skeptical or Ray last year(for the record, Ray has only been bad for a small sample size and has been injured and Grisham has been much better, so not comparing them, just saying I'm not all in on Grisham being a middle of the order or top of the order bat).

I really think the best thing to do would be to just stand pat for the most part. You have to move a few guys who you won't have room for on the 40 man and you can get solid relievers in return, but I'd just go with what we have if we're not going to trade Grandal and Moose. This year's iteration of the Brewers just doesn't look strong enough to contend this year.

I actually think one of the biggest problems is that David Stearns got this thing turned around too fast. You look at the Astros and Cubs and they had 4-5 years picking in the top 5. And of course they hit on so many other players as well. I mean, hard to "fault" Stearns for turning things around more quickly, but at least for this year, we're kinda stuck in the "in-between." At best, we're a team that sneaks into the playoffs, at worst we win 80 games in a year in which the owner devoted more resources than ever before.

So my answer to this would be;

MAYBE Hader(I remember a month ago someone posting a hypothetical with Alvarez in it and 3 others....that would look awfully nice) but only if we're blown away.

And then any guys who likely won't be around next year. The good but not great prospects who likely won't quite crack the 40 man, and upcoming FA's. Grandal should be able to get you a top 100-ish type prospect and potentially a couple more lotto picks. Moose is having a career year.

Jeffress isn't as good as he was last year, but still has good enough stuff and we have enough talented right handed arms to replace him next year.

The absolute worst case for me would be to see the Brewers move Turang as the centerpiece to try and get back a starter who's just not going to put them over the hump. Slash what payroll you can this year, try and get some MLB ready players or guys who are at least closer to the bigs if possible and re-load and make another run at it next year. In the meantime, give Peralta, Burnes the ball every 5th day, bring Shaw back up and try and get these guys going so they feel good heading into next year. That'd be my preference.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Excellent post, u said everything that I would say but better. I had posted on another thread about it being such a quick turnaround. We never got a chance ( not complaining ) to restock out our farm system, so now when we could use some help on the major league club, probably not enough talent to do it unless we empty the farm. . I say stand pat, listen to some offers or make a couple minor deals to help without killing our farm system.

What contending team needs a catcher?

Most the contending teams already have a front line catcher. The ones that don’t aren’t going to assume close to 9 million dollars in salary and give a good prospect. I’m positive the Brewers aren’t going to pay Grandal to play for somebody else. Therefore, regardless of the team’s fortunes I think he’ll stick around. Plus even if the team collapses he’ll be highly

Motivated to perform give his contract status.

I can see them trading off Moustakas. However, I’m not so sure he isn’t in their long term plans where a trade probably just complicates things to a degree.

I just don't get all you people wanting to sell or stand pat. You all do realize they are only two games out of first right?? I mean, it's not likely, but let's say things fall their way the rest of this week(win last two from Cincy Cubs lose last two vs Giants and Crew sweeps the Cubs)...just like that you turned a two game division deficit into a 3 game lead. This isn't a team that is 6-7 games out people...c'mon. Stranger things...much starnger things that that have happened in baseball.

As far as emptying the farm, who really cares?? it's what small market teams have to do to compete during their window...no one can guarantee me restocking the farm will do anything for them. They could do that and still go another 10 years without making the playoffs. Then was it worth it?? Name me the LAST small market team that has been a legit playoff contender every year?? That doesn't exist..it just doesn't happen. As long as Yelich is here and under control they HAVE to do what they can to make the playoffs/win a world series now. You can't count on the future for anything.

As far as emptying the farm, who really cares?? it's what small market teams have to do to compete during their window...

This is exactly the opposite of what a small market team needs to do to be successful. You have to know when to hold em and so forth.

Honestly Brewcrewin07, does this TRULY feel like a hold 'em year to you?

With Woodruff's injury and the hot mess much of the staff is, even if they are in contention in September, they seem destined to be a "fart in the wind", as Ron Wolf so eloquently put it. Going all in this year feels like doing so with a pair of 9's. Could it work out? Sure. Is it more likely you get burned? Probably.

As far as emptying the farm, who really cares?? it's what small market teams have to do to compete during their window...

This is exactly the opposite of what a small market team needs to do to be successful. You have to know when to hold em and so forth.

Honestly Brewcrewin07, does this TRULY feel like a hold 'em year to you?

With Woodruff's injury and the hot mess much of the staff is, even if they are in contention in September, they seem destined to be a "fart in the wind", as Ron Wolf so eloquently put it. Going all in this year feels like doing so with a pair of 9's. Could it work out? Sure. Is it more likely you get burned? Probably.

Peavey...we have all been around long enough to know baseball is a crazy game...long winning streaks can propel a team very quickly. Exhibit A..look what the Giants are doing currently. There is NO way anyone would say they are a better baseball team then the Brewers. That's just one example...baseball history is littered with teams that go on unexpected runs. Most people would say, okay even if they make the playoffs, they will never make it past the Dodgers..All you have to do is win 4 games...and ANYTHING can happen and has happened. I'm willing to take that chance simply because no one can guarantee me that the Brewers will EVER be in a position again like they were last year and this year(the yare still very much in it).

To me, you always take the known over the unknown. Is it a guarantee the Brewers will make the playoffs, even with adding some players?? No..but what we do know RIGHT now is they are 2 games out of 1st place and it's July 23rd. On July 23rd 2020, or 2021 or even 2030, how do we know they will have a chance like this again?? They are talented enough, even without Woodruff, make a couple acquisitions(that move the needle) and I will more than take my chances they make the playoffs. Heck will I be able to say that again in my lifetime?? Maybe/probably but who knows when??

If I had guarantees, they would be in WS contention for the next three-5 years I'd say absolutely hold or maybe even sell a piece or two, but NO ONE can guarantee me that.

I could see Supak, Ashby and Grisham all dealt. Of the guys on the MLB roster, I think Arcia is the only one. I can't see Grandal and Moose dealt unless the team goes into an absolute tailspin over the next week and a half.

With Woody going down for 6 weeks, I WISH you were wrong, but I don't think you are.

I wonder what teams think of Grisham, where he'd be ranked to other executives. If they want to consider him to be a top 75 prospect, I'd deal him now. If they want to value him lower, I don't see any point in trading him.

I'm a little skeptical that he's as good as he's hitting right now just as I was a little skeptical or Ray last year(for the record, Ray has only been bad for a small sample size and has been injured and Grisham has been much better, so not comparing them, just saying I'm not all in on Grisham being a middle of the order or top of the order bat).

I really think the best thing to do would be to just stand pat for the most part. You have to move a few guys who you won't have room for on the 40 man and you can get solid relievers in return, but I'd just go with what we have if we're not going to trade Grandal and Moose. This year's iteration of the Brewers just doesn't look strong enough to contend this year.

I actually think one of the biggest problems is that David Stearns got this thing turned around too fast. You look at the Astros and Cubs and they had 4-5 years picking in the top 5. And of course they hit on so many other players as well. I mean, hard to "fault" Stearns for turning things around more quickly, but at least for this year, we're kinda stuck in the "in-between." At best, we're a team that sneaks into the playoffs, at worst we win 80 games in a year in which the owner devoted more resources than ever before.

So my answer to this would be;

MAYBE Hader(I remember a month ago someone posting a hypothetical with Alvarez in it and 3 others....that would look awfully nice) but only if we're blown away.

And then any guys who likely won't be around next year. The good but not great prospects who likely won't quite crack the 40 man, and upcoming FA's. Grandal should be able to get you a top 100-ish type prospect and potentially a couple more lotto picks. Moose is having a career year.

Jeffress isn't as good as he was last year, but still has good enough stuff and we have enough talented right handed arms to replace him next year.

The absolute worst case for me would be to see the Brewers move Turang as the centerpiece to try and get back a starter who's just not going to put them over the hump. Slash what payroll you can this year, try and get some MLB ready players or guys who are at least closer to the bigs if possible and re-load and make another run at it next year. In the meantime, give Peralta, Burnes the ball every 5th day, bring Shaw back up and try and get these guys going so they feel good heading into next year. That'd be my preference.

Ray hasn't been that good throughout his career. Besides this year's rehab ABs he has never had an avg. over .247 and an OBP over .323.. One yr. with 27 HRs, but 176 Ks. The way Jeffress has regressed this year I doubt he'd bring much more than a bag of seeds. You're right that he is easily replacable.

They are two games out of first but they don't exist in a vacuum. Being two games out with an all star pitching staff, I buy. Two games out and two games behind the Dodgers, I buy. Two games out of a horrible division with a clustered NL where half the teams are .500 and my second best reliever has an ERA over 4...I sell. Problem is, they really don't have a whole lot to sell. So while I would be selling, I understand why they won't.

They are two games out of first but they don't exist in a vacuum. Being two games out with an all star pitching staff, I buy. Two games out and two games behind the Dodgers, I buy. Two games out of a horrible division with a clustered NL where half the teams are .500 and my second best reliever has an ERA over 4...I sell. Problem is, they really don't have a whole lot to sell. So while I would be selling, I understand why they won't.

Honestly, I'm not really advocating for selling (barring a horrendous week/getting swept by the Cubs), I just think that they're going to make minor, smarter moves to acquire Soria/Swarzak type relievers rather than making gigantic acquisitions. To continue my analogy, they're sitting there with a pair of nines and calling, rather than going all in and hoping for that third nine. And that's probably the right play.

Community Moderator
I'd guess that Dubon is the most likely to be traded.

If the Brewers acquire anyone of significance it seems like Dubon is the #1 most likely to move as part of a return.

Aside from Dubon anyone that is Eligible for the Rule 5 Draft this off-season is also at an increased risk of being moved.

I’ll guess that Corey Ray ultimately gets traded before he appears in a major league game for the Brewers, but that may not be at this deadline since his stock took a hit with the early season injury.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived