Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-22: Reds (Gray) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 6-5 -- Saladino’s 8th inning grand slam gives Crew the lead; Jeffress serves up 2-run HR in 9th to Suarez]

Eye Black
Drew Smyly situation is another Stearns question. The guy literally left San Antonio and won a big league start going 6 plus innings. I understand bad timing but what were the terms and why didn't we give him a shot here?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about celebrating the team that LOST the WS like they are the greatest team ever assembled! Seriously, who does that?!

Keep that bar low as can be, Milwaukee!

Well, when you don't have a WS win to hang your hat on ...

You still shouldn't be celebrating a team that lost the World Series by acting like they won 5.

Best team in brewer history. A lot of memorable players. Plus one of the greatest logos in baseball history. Why we ever changed, I will never know

I, too, am growing beyond frustrated with the way our media interacts with Counsell. And I voiced my displeasure to Tom. A journalist's job is to ask the tough questions, not to toe a company line. Right now, all we have are a bunch of lackeys. If the Brewers ever want to truly become winners, there needs to be some accountability.

This would never fly in New York.

2q7XPNy.jpg

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I guess when a team exceeds preseason expectations by 10 plus wins & fights for the playoffs instead of a top 10 pick, it's hard for me to consider that coming up short.

Most preseason projections had us around a 50/50 shot at the playoffs this year, so even if we miss the playoffs this season I wouldn't consider that a failure either. It was always a realistic outcome.

Since 2017 we've won the 7th most games in MLB. I think that's pretty good, all things considered.

There are a lot of other things to take in context during the season too though. It would be nice for people to stop basing things on preseason guessing of records. Ultimately they are meaningless. It’s fun and drives interestand arguments and debates. But it means nothing

Let’s say a team has a ten game lead with 11 to play and they blow it. Oh well some half ass expert said we were going to be in third place so please eat the Cheerios I gave you that had pee in it and celebrate the successful season. Sometimes it doesn’t work like that.

Not saying this current season is like that. But anybody can rationalize any situation. Every year

You either make the playoffs or you don’t. There will always be some sort of failure in that and pro teams should not be convinced otherwise

Ya, if Sophia is supposed to be a investigative journalist, which she isnt

She would be the worst ever.

You wanna hear someone find a silver lining in every ball game, even a 16 run loss vs Miami, or however many it was. She will pick a play or player totally ignore the lop sided result and compliment Craig and remind Craig that hey, Brewers lost by 10 but so and so pitched a really good 2 thirds. Or that the Crew battled or blah blah. Ya she kinda annoying. Really annoying...but she knows her lane and stays in it.

You cant really expect people to criticize the team they cover. They afraid they will lose their job to someone that will kiss the brewers butt. So you cant blame Sophia..she is doing what anyone in her spot would do.

Best team in brewer history. A lot of memorable players. Plus one of the greatest logos in baseball history. Why we ever changed, I will never know

Two Brewers teams in the last decade have better regular season records than the '82 team and the '82 team had the advantage of only having to win one series to make it to the World Series. The logo, I've made my opinion quite clear on that. If that's part of what you're hanging your hat on, more power to you but it's kind of sad.

I, too, am growing beyond frustrated with the way our media interacts with Counsell. And I voiced my displeasure to Tom. A journalist's job is to ask the tough questions, not to toe a company line. Right now, all we have are a bunch of lackeys. If the Brewers ever want to truly become winners, there needs to be some accountability.

This would never fly in New York.

2q7XPNy.jpg

Nobody at the Journal or WTMJ (which now includes ESPN Radio in MKE) will ever push back or ask tough questions for fear of losing access. This was comically evident when Herb Kohl owned the Bucks.

Since there’s no tabloid or notable second newspaper in town, this falls on local sports talk radio stations to ask tough questions (looking at you, 1250). Unfortunately, the lack of talent and fear of losing access prevents them from being overly tough on the Brewers

Counsell just shuts down any questions with yes and no answers and the media just moves on. Hard hitting team of Adam Tom and Sophia the Brewers employee. Anyone can manage here. There are virtually no consequences regarding media questions. it is a joke.

And what is the consequences of a tougher media? Literally no one is showing up with pitch forks like they might in a Yankee situation, which is about the only market where a tough media might matter. Maybe Boston too. But my point is while it may make you feel better after a tough loss, a tough media really means didly poo.

Not only that but CC gave his reasoning on it. You may disagree but I agree with his decision as I am sure others here do as well. Either way, I don’t understand some people’s fetish with a tough media.

A tougher media helps to get answers and in depth reasoning behind the decisions being made. Counsell just waving people like nope that's dumb gives him an air of I don't owe the fans an explanation of why I did what I did. I think the paying public does deserve more answers than they have been getting. Even the packers media is tougher than this. Having a brewers employee ask the questions after games isn't going to do any investigative journalism.

How about we ask the real question that needs asked?

Not to Counsell. Not to Stearns.

To The owner of the brewers:

Why do we not invest profits to payroll like YOU SAID YOU WOULD back when the brewers were in rebuild for a couple years.

Why are we not asking this question? Why?

Instead we get upset at Stearns or CC, when we should be furious with our owner. But he gets a pass, why?

He sits there in his seat smiling all the way to the bank, year after year, no accountability whatsoever, with impunity to do whatever he wants with his cash cow. You bet I’m angry.

It’s our fault, we come out in droves, over performing our market size by staggering amounts year after year, while we have a competitive team but not world championship caliber, but how could it be with a payroll 80-110 million less than whoever.

Within the next 6 years we the fans will make the brewers worth enough to make Attanasio a billionaire just with the brewers alone. But he gets the adoration of the fans > why?

He should be booed out of the stadium, handcuffing Stearns year after year, telling him he needs to compete with the big boys but do it on the cheap.

Why does he get the pass?

I guess when a team exceeds preseason expectations by 10 plus wins & fights for the playoffs instead of a top 10 pick, it's hard for me to consider that coming up short.

Most preseason projections had us around a 50/50 shot at the playoffs this year, so even if we miss the playoffs this season I wouldn't consider that a failure either. It was always a realistic outcome.

Since 2017 we've won the 7th most games in MLB. I think that's pretty good, all things considered.

There are a lot of other things to take in context during the season too though. It would be nice for people to stop basing things on preseason guessing of records. Ultimately they are meaningless. It’s fun and drives interestand arguments and debates. But it means nothing

Let’s say a team has a ten game lead with 11 to play and they blow it. Oh well some half ass expert said we were going to be in third place so please eat the Cheerios I gave you that had pee in it and celebrate the successful season. Sometimes it doesn’t work like that.

Not saying this current season is like that. But anybody can rationalize any situation. Every year

You either make the playoffs or you don’t. There will always be some sort of failure in that and pro teams should not be convinced otherwise

Espn nba power rankings right now have the Bucks as the best team. They are top 5 but I dont see number 1. But these rankings mean nothing.

The Packers have a superbowl or bust mantra. I'm always kind of amazed at how some brewer fans, are like...ok with mediocrity...I just dont get it.

Bucks expectations next year is finals or bust...

Brewers got to game 7 of the NLCS last year.

Nobody gave brewers credit last year, and I dont think anyone gave us credit before the season as far as preseason rankings either...

You wanna hear someone find a silver lining in every ball game, even a 16 run loss vs Miami, or however many it was. She will pick a play or player totally ignore the lop sided result and compliment Craig and remind Craig that hey, Brewers lost by 10 but so and so pitched a really good 2 thirds. Or that the Crew battled or blah blah. Ya she kinda annoying. Really annoying...but she knows her lane and stays in it.

You cant really expect people to criticize the team they cover. They afraid they will lose their job to someone that will kiss the brewers butt. So you cant blame Sophia..she is doing what anyone in her spot would do.

Sophia works for the brewers. She is an employee. This is why she can't ask tough questions. Not that Augie or Coushon would but still. I don't know how this is supposed to work if a third of the media coverage is brewers employees.

I'm always kind of amazed at how some brewer fans, are like...ok with mediocrity.

The Brewers have won the 7th most games in MLB since 2017. That is not mediocre.

It's actually the 2nd best multi-season run in franchise history, trailing only 1978-82.

Brewers one of the few that do not have a reporter from the Athletic. This needs to change. Competition is needed.

We do and his name is Robert Murray

He's pretty bad too though. Seems more interested in trying to up his cred nationally by trying to break stories with Rosenthal.

I'm always kind of amazed at how some brewer fans, are like...ok with mediocrity.

The Brewers have won the 7th most games in MLB since 2017. That is not mediocre.

It's actually the 2nd best multi-season run in franchise history, trailing only 1978-82.

Winning games is fun...but what have we really won?

Well...at least they got to a world series...I'm not gonna celebrate winning the 7th most games over that time span...I'm sorry but I'm not. At least make it to the world series.

We have won so many games top quarter of the league, and its amounted to basically nothing. Well, a NL central division flag...but come on guys.

My point was and stands that some fans are happy pretty much just playing

.500 and if we cant get over the hump, that, that is just ok with them.

"Some", not all, not even a large percent, but some. This is undeniable.

Sophia works for the brewers. She is an employee. This is why she can't ask tough questions. Not that Augie or Coushon would but still. I don't know how this is supposed to work if a third of the media coverage is brewers employees.

Idk, man. Maybe we are just to small of a market, or something. We dont even get respect when we are good. Last year during NLCS, the brewers were severely disrespected. And that continued with the preseason rankings.

But at some point you gotta win something to get respect. Just like the Bucks who got no respect, in the playoffs. And reg. Season.

The bucks and brewers basically made it 1 or 2 games shy of a finals and world series

With the bucks, we hear championship, or at least finals or bust for next year. And the Bucks came out of nowhere, and a year later have these lofty expectations of themselves

The Brewers have been good for a couple seasons and Wouldnt you apply that same logic to the brewers? They got better this year off season, didnt they? I never heard world series or bust with them...idk, it's just kinda weird to me, personally. That's my opinion.

Just because this is Wisconsin, doesnt mean we cant expect a world series, nba finals, super bowl, I just get that feeling from alot of people, not really anyone here, but other places.

I didnt buy the 50/50 that brewers make the playoffs this year, I just seen that as disrespect towards a small market, that people cant name more then 1 of our players.

Like all of us here, I just want a world series and or nba finals before I die.

Holy cow you guys are toxic tonight.

It was one loss.

You don't put the tying run on base.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Oh ya, and I missed most of the game, j caught Sally salami. Man, I am so happy for that guy. I doubt anyone anywhere was at a more euphoric level than Typer was yesterday and today.

I've liked him since last year, I've ragged on him a bit, but I'm glad to see he is coming around.

This guy has some clutch in him. You cant deny that.

Very very happy for Tyler. Unfortunate we couldnt get the win, but on a personal level, that guy had 1 of his biggest MLB career highlights the past two days, especially today. Props to Saladino.

Also, Craig did say, awhile ago "the homeruns will come" fromTyler, boy was he right on the money on that one.

Holy cow you guys are toxic tonight.

It was one loss.

You don't put the tying run on base.

I know what ur saying.

I didnt even get into the game really. More the media aspect. And praising Tyler.

But the whole "it's one game", its one loss", has got to go.

I mean do you need more evidence that 1 game cam make or break a season then the last 2 years?

Miss playoffs by 1 game 2 years ago, tie breaker last year

The whole "it's one loss", is garbage. And just seems like a way to go after people who dont react how you want them to react.

Its a IGT, people can have their opinions, it's so sickening, day after day seeing, people going after each other for their opinion...OR taking someone's opinion personal. Like, people actually get mad here whenever someone criticizes the brewers.

Like, I'm a huge homer...but, I can criticize when warranted, I am lot blind. People shouldn't get so personal about stuff here.

And the Brewers will be fine. They lost a game they shoulda lost most likely, it just sucked we got our Hopes up. We probably shouldnt have won vs Arizona, but did. Things equal out.

Were gonna win the next 2 than take the series from the cubs guys.

Just relax, we will be in first, by august first. I'll leave this board forever if we are not in first by august 1rst. I know 80%of you either dont care or hope I leave, lol.

I just have alot of confidence in this team, this GM, this manager, and the players. They wanna win too. And they are going too! Mark it down, 1rst place by August 1rst.

This is the team's 50th season, going back to the Pilots. We have appeared in a grand total of one World Series, and that was 37 years ago. So, while the 7th most wins in the last 2.5 years of baseball might make for fun talk at the sports bar, it means squat in the overall context of baseball success.

We've had no measurable success. None. Even when we've made it to the playoffs, the next year, we've missed them entirely. 90 wins in 2008, our first playoff appearance since 1982? The next year, we're below .500 at 80-82. Yay, Brewers! 2011 comes along, and we're 96-66. We make it to the NLCS, and lose to the Cardinals. The next season? We're a couple games above .500 at 84-78. No playoffs. Last year, a game from the World Series, and a 96-67 record. This year? Time will tell, but given the massive implosion of our bullpen, and the front office's refusal to supplement our pitching staff with....anybody....I'm not holding my breath. We're 53-49, and we just lost our ace for the next month and a half. Our manager is continually pissing games away, of late, with boneheaded decisions. And there's nobody to hold his feet to the fire. Fans keep coming. The owners keep making money. But we should be thankful for getting to the playoffs a few times, right?

If this team is ever going to have it, and by that I mean winning a World Championship, or (gasp) two, there needs to be some real accountability, from ownership, on down. That includes the media asking tough questions. Afraid of "losing access"? Tough crap. When one group of journalists gets booted by the organization for asking the tough questions, the next group in should ask the same tough questions. If they get booted, as well, Brewers ownership will finally realize that they're either going to have to face the music, or they'll lose coverage completely. If Tom and the gang continue to acquiesce to the whims of Counsell and upper management, this team will never be a winner.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived