Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-22: Reds (Gray) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 6-5 -- Saladino’s 8th inning grand slam gives Crew the lead; Jeffress serves up 2-run HR in 9th to Suarez]

Eye Black
The panzy ass writers for this team will never ask CC any tough questions tonight. Total crap, Counsell may have just blew this entire season. I want to hear his lame ass reason for pitching ot Suarez, and i want him to be taken to task by one of the reporters.

You'll be waiting awhile.

Brewers media sucks off the organization every chance it gets.

Yep, it’s a combination of laziness/lack of talent and fear of losing access

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And of course the won(a game they shouldn't have, Pirates blew it in the 9th with two boneheaded mistakes), and looks like the Cubs will suck another one out. I'm sorry guys, but this game REALLY pisses me off. I haven't been this mad about a Brewers game in I don't know how long...Counsell CANNOT make that mistake in a spot that big after they got all the momentum. Tying run on or not, you put Suarez on. If Van meter beats me, fine. But i'm not letting Suarez do it. CC did, and he's an idiot.

I don't know if the decision to IBB Suarez is as cut and dry as we all think with hindsight being 20/20 - it's rare to put on the go ahead run in the 9th when you have a lead unless you are looking at a great hitter with a platoon advantage. The book is typically to make that go ahead run hit his way on to score, which is exactly what Suarez did. Had they walked him he was going to face a lefty hitter who could still tie the game with a single, and had he gapped one Suarez probably scores from first and we're all pissed he walked him to face a lefty.

JJ just made an awful pitch, and I also question Grandal's pitch selection in that spot when he was throwing hangers all inning. However you slice it, that's a gut punch in a game that about 45 minutes ago nobody saw as being a bad loss until Saladino hit another salami. Maybe the better approach is to go after Suarez on the fringes of the zone to see if you can get him to chase in that spot to get himself out.

I agree. I would have walked him but you certainly don't spin a hanger. Grandal knows better than anyone that he can't get a curveball down. He's right there catching him. I just don't understand that pitch selection given the situation. Brewers need anyone big time arm in the pen. if they can't find one this season will be over sometime in August.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know if the decision to IBB Suarez is as cut and dry as we all think with hindsight being 20/20 - it's rare to put on the go ahead run in the 9th when you have a lead unless you are looking at a great hitter with a platoon advantage. The book is typically to make that go ahead run hit his way on to score, which is exactly what Suarez did. Had they walked him he was going to face a lefty hitter who could still tie the game with a single, and had he gapped one Suarez probably scores from first and we're all pissed he walked him to face a lefty.

JJ just made an awful pitch, and I also question Grandal's pitch selection in that spot when he was throwing hangers all inning. However you slice it, that's a gut punch in a game that about 45 minutes ago nobody saw as being a bad loss until Saladino hit another salami. Maybe the better approach is to go after Suarez on the fringes of the zone to see if you can get him to chase in that spot to get himself out.

I agree. I would have walked him but you certainly don't spin a hanger. Grandal knows better than anyone that he can't get a curveball down. He's right there catching him. I just don't understand that pitch selection given the situation. Brewers need anyone big time arm in the pen. if they can't find one this season will be over sometime in August.

Agreed. You have to execute your pitches.

Also agreed on the need for at least one pen arm. It seems like every loss the last three weeks has been one that the pen gave up. know that likely isn't the case, but it sure seems that way.

Sidenotes:

- Braun was away

- Hiura was essentially unavailable other than to pinch hit

- Hader was unavailable

- Peralta was presumably unavailable

This team has got to stop hamstringing themselves with 22 and 23 man rosters. They aren't good enough or deep enough to get away with that.

Well, that sucks. Cool comeback. Bad bullpen. This team is a couple good pen arms from being a true contender. Perhaps I'm too bullish on the rotation.

Adding two quality bullpen arms, one of which needs to be capable of closing games, would give a chance to compete. But this team seems like a leaking boat without enough material to plug all the holes. Woodruff’s injury might be what puts the team under. Not saying playoffs are out of the question, just beginning to think it might not be a probable result.

Sidenotes:

- Braun was away

- Hiura was essentially unavailable other than to pinch hit

- Hader was unavailable

- Peralta was presumably unavailable

This team has got to stop hamstringing themselves with 22 and 23 man rosters. They aren't good enough or deep enough to get away with that.

But having Burch Smith planted on the bullpen bench was valuable!

Well, that sucks. Cool comeback. Bad bullpen. This team is a couple good pen arms from being a true contender. Perhaps I'm too bullish on the rotation.

Adding two quality bullpen arms, one of which needs to be capable of closing games, would give a chance to compete. But this team seems like a leaking boat without enough material to plug all the holes. Woodruff’s injury might be what puts the team under. Not saying playoffs are out of the question, just beginning to think it might not be a probable result.

Playoffs are not a probable result. But they have a chance. Some good signs in the very very recent past could be undone of this home stand goes bad

Anyone remember how the 2017 Brewers missed out on the playoffs by one game....

Yes. I also remember that no one expected them to contend in the first place, so viewed in context it was still a very successful season.

Good post. Totally agree.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Yes. I also remember that no one expected them to contend in the first place, so viewed in context it was still a very successful season.

I long for the day when missing the playoffs by 1 game is not considered a "very successful season" for the Brewers.

Counsell just shuts down any questions with yes and no answers and the media just moves on. Hard hitting team of Adam Tom and Sophia the Brewers employee. Anyone can manage here. There are virtually no consequences regarding media questions. it is a joke.

Counsell just shuts down any questions with yes and no answers and the media just moves on. Hard hitting team of Adam Tom and Sophia the Brewers employee. Anyone can manage here. There are virtually no consequences regarding media questions. it is a joke.

I think Rosiak had the gamer tonight for the JS. He's actually makes Haudricourt look like Bob Woodward.

And what is the consequences of a tougher media? Literally no one is showing up with pitch forks like they might in a Yankee situation, which is about the only market where a tough media might matter. Maybe Boston too. But my point is while it may make you feel better after a tough loss, a tough media really means didly poo.

Not only that but CC gave his reasoning on it. You may disagree but I agree with his decision as I am sure others here do as well. Either way, I don’t understand some people’s fetish with a tough media.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I long for the day when missing the playoffs by 1 game is not considered a "very successful season" for the Brewers.

I guess when a team exceeds preseason expectations by 10 plus wins & fights for the playoffs instead of a top 10 pick, it's hard for me to consider that coming up short.

Most preseason projections had us around a 50/50 shot at the playoffs this year, so even if we miss the playoffs this season I wouldn't consider that a failure either. It was always a realistic outcome.

Since 2017 we've won the 7th most games in MLB. I think that's pretty good, all things considered.

What about celebrating the team that LOST the WS like they are the greatest team ever assembled! Seriously, who does that?!

Keep that bar low as can be, Milwaukee!

Maybe I’m misinterpreting Jopal’s post, but it’s really not about the 2017 team. Each game is important and just one loss can mean a big difference in a season’s outcome, as we’ve certainly seen the last 2 seasons

Stearns has failed numerous times managing the roster this year, poor decision after poor decision. No excuse to be short handed as many times as this team has been this year. Then there’s the Hiura situation. Instead of locking up Hiura for the next 8-9 years, he plays the super 2 game. His depth above talent mantra has backfired repeatedly. I’m beginning to think he’s not as forward thinking as this team has to have, to have anything more than a 1% chance at a title per year.

We have a pitcher down below that scouts have said is ready to get big league hitters out now, not even rostered yet, let alone up with the big club, that in the last month has only given up a handful of hits with 1 bb and 19 Ks that touches 100 with a plus plus slider. Why is he not up?

CC is a terrible game manager, proven this last 50-60 games over and over again. He might be a players manager but makes way too many mistakes with game management. Overrated to say the least.

These are serious problems beyond belief.

Maybe Stearns has just an elaborate grand plan that is just beyond anything a mortal can fathom, I hope so, but don’t think so.

Maybe a team just can’t compete in this day of the Ivy League educated president of baseball ops littered everywhere, with the analytics separating the payrolls more than ever. The days of payrolls separated by more than 80-100 million winning a World Series are going away, soon to be gone forever. Mark my words. Book it. Look at baseball since KC won in 15.

Cubbies Astros Red Sox. Pretty soon to be Dodgers Astros again. Yankees Braves Padres white Sox tanking, but latter 3 won’t win it till their payroll gets to 175+ million minimum. But we can keep pretending, but not really like a child, because we can’t push reality out forever, eventually the reality of the low payroll sets in, doesn’t it? But all we have to do is develop an abundance of controllable talent. Da. All 30 teams know the same thing now, so how can we get the talent of a team with 100 million more a year to spend than us for that talent? This has to end at some point in time, the low payroll has to end.

And what is the consequences of a tougher media? Literally no one is showing up with pitch forks like they might in a Yankee situation, which is about the only market where a tough media might matter. Maybe Boston too. But my point is while it may make you feel better after a tough loss, a tough media really means didly poo.

Not only that but CC gave his reasoning on it. You may disagree but I agree with his decision as I am sure others here do as well. Either way, I don’t understand some people’s fetish with a tough media.

A tougher media helps to get answers and in depth reasoning behind the decisions being made. Counsell just waving people like nope that's dumb gives him an air of I don't owe the fans an explanation of why I did what I did. I think the paying public does deserve more answers than they have been getting. Even the packers media is tougher than this. Having a brewers employee ask the questions after games isn't going to do any investigative journalism.

I think Rosiak had the gamer tonight for the JS. He's actually makes Haudricourt look like Bob Woodward.

So true

What about celebrating the team that LOST the WS like they are the greatest team ever assembled! Seriously, who does that?!

Keep that bar low as can be, Milwaukee!

Well, when you don't have a WS win to hang your hat on ...

You still shouldn't be celebrating a team that lost the World Series by acting like they won 5.

Archived