Brewer Fanatic

Woodruff to IL with Strained Oblique

PeaveyFury

"I think the Brewers brass has recognized Wilkerson for what he is, which is a AAAA arm. His command allows him to get away with his sub-optimal stuff against AAA hitters, but he gets exposed against MLB hitting. He got slapped around pretty good in his last MLB appearance, and was promptly sent packing. Textbook AAAA guy. I'm not a Vargas fan, but I agree that he'd eat innings and probably keep them in most games. He also would cost next to nothing. Kennedy would be a solid add, but he has a huge salary and a contract that runs through next year. If you can get the Royals to eat some of that deal, then maybe."

I looked at Kennedy's salary for 2019 it says 7.5 mil. Might be an error but a few mil for both Vargas and Kennedy would be a shot in the arm for the team. Cain and Moose would sell the idea to Stearns Vargas doesn't like NY media scene. He would be a clubhouse plus as well as Kennedy, a fellow teammate of Moose and Cain. They would be feeling like old times again for sure.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the Brewers brass has recognized Wilkerson for what he is, which is a AAAA arm. His command allows him to get away with his sub-optimal stuff against AAA hitters, but he gets exposed against MLB hitting. He got slapped around pretty good in his last MLB appearance, and was promptly sent packing. Textbook AAAA guy. I'm not a Vargas fan, but I agree that he'd eat innings and probably keep them in most games. He also would cost next to nothing. Kennedy would be a solid add, but he has a huge salary and a contract that runs through next year. If you can get the Royals to eat some of that deal, then maybe.

I looked at Kennedy's salary for 2019 it says 7.5 mil. Might be an error but a few mil for both Vargas and Kennedy would be a shot in the arm for the team. Cain and Moose would sell the idea to Stearns Vargas doesn't like NY media scene. He would be a clubhouse plus as well as Kennedy, a fellow teammate of Moose and Cain. They would be feeling like old times again for sure.

Kennedy is signed for $16.5 million next year. That is super pricey for a relief arm. But if the Royals would eat some of that, then maybe.

This is going to sound negative, and it is, but with Woodruff's injury, we are now down to 0 starting arms that we can count on. ZERO!

We went from needing one starter to add to Woodruff and hope one of the others could come through. Now we would need two starters minimal for any chance at a play-off push.

I think the odds are so stacked against us that it would be foolish to give up the prospects it would take to get us into that kind of shape.

Woodruff's injury is devastating, absolutely devastating to this team.

I have not been on the "sell" train up until now. I just can't see a way we can creep back into this with a crappy rotation AND a crappy bullpen.

This really sucks.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Davies, Anderson & Gio are all competent starters.

Hader, Houser, Peralta & Jeffress (90 ERA-/84 FIP-) are all competent relievers.

The pitching situation is far less dire than some are painting it.

Losing Woodruff sucks, no doubt, but it's hardly a death knell as this team was never going to win on the backs of their pitching, they were built to score more runs than the other team.

Go win 2 of 3 against the Cubs (I'd also take a sweep), deal for a starter & a reliever, then play two months of baseball (wherein anything can happen) & see what happens.

It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor & it isn't over now.

Hader, Houser, Peralta & Jeffress (90 ERA-/84 FIP-) are all competent relievers.

Losing Woodruff sucks, no doubt, but it's hardly a death knell as this team was never going to win on the backs of their pitching, they were built to score more runs than the other team.

Go win 2 of 3 against the Cubs (I'd also take a sweep), deal for a starter & a reliever, then play two months of baseball (wherein anything can happen) & see what happens.

Man, you were on fire until you forgot it was the Japanese, not the Germans...

I learned all my history (& motivational speaking) from Belushi in Animal House.

Who will take the ball in place of Chacin for his next start?

I don't think Houser is the best candidate and they should leave him in the bullpen.

One player on the 40 man roster that could be a candidate is RHP Trey Supak at AA Biloxi. He last pitched on Monday and he has had two near no hitters in the past month at that level.

My choice would be to stretch Freddy P back out to insert him in the bullpen but that won't happen quickly.

I agree that Smyly sure would have been a nice alternative but hopefully Sterns adds a SP soon.

The home/away 6 games against the Cubs the next two weekends will likely make or break the Brewers season.

I think Chacin likely would have made his next start. The well is getting pretty dry as far as viable starting pitching options.

I like Supak as well, but there has to be a reason why they haven't even promoted him to AAA yet. For a guy who is taking a 40-man spot and has been near dominant in AA, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I want Houser to stay in the pen, but I think they are going to be forced to put him back in the rotation. I get the feeling he's ahead of Peralta in the rotation pecking order currently, as he was just moved back to the pen last week. He should have no problem taking starts again, as only one turn has been missed. Honestly, I know it isn't inspiring, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Houser and Burch Smith take Woody and Chacin's spots in the rotation. Smith has been bleh as a mop-up reliever, but he was pretty dominant in his time as a starter at AAA. Otherwise Wilkerson, Shelby Miller, Derby, Zach Brown and Thomas Jankins are currently holding down AAA rotation spots. I think if Nelson comes back up, it will be exclusively as a reliever.

So what's the deal with Wilkerson. Is he hurt? This guy is lights out in AAA but gets yanked off Brewers squad like weather changes here. Jason Vargas is available for trade from the Mets. He has one of the best change ups in the majors and he knows post season play. Also, Ian Kennedy can be picked up from the Royals for next to nothing. Two veteran arms that the Brewers need. One starter and one reliever. They need both.

Vargas and his 4.66 FIP isn't any better than what they already have. Kennedy makes a boat load of money and is not practical.

lol

It's an Animal House reference...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Forget it he's rolling.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Don't sell the farm, use the farm. Call up Supak to take one spot in the rotation. Worst case, he gets his MLB adjustment in. Best case: `92 Cal Eldred.

Houser gets the other until Woodruff is healthy again.

As for a reliever, I'd use Nelson when healthy as a replacement for Houser. Maybe Suter for another spot.

They are either going to acquire someone or they are pretty much saying "we give up this year". I expect the prior...even if a minor veteran type.

If they call up Supak and two of Perdomo/Ponce/Devin Williams/Griep/Rasmussen, I think they could do well enough to make the playoffs and win.

Rotation: Davies, Gio, Anderson, Houser, Supak

Bullpen: Hader, Jeffress, Peralta, Rasmussen, Jackson, Claudio, Ponce, Guerra

When Woodruff returns, it's Houser to the pen, Jackson optioned.

They are either going to acquire someone or they are pretty much saying "we give up this year". I expect the prior...even if a minor veteran type.

If they call up Supak and two of Perdomo/Ponce/Devin Williams/Griep/Rasmussen, I think they could do well enough to make the playoffs and win.

Whether or not that is true we will never know...because they simply won't do it. That is all I am saying. I expect a veteran acquisition.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Rotation: Davies, Gio, Anderson, Houser, Supak

Bullpen: Hader, Jeffress, Peralta, Rasmussen, Jackson, Claudio, Ponce, Guerra

When Woodruff returns, it's Houser to the pen, Jackson optioned.

Supak, Ponce, Williams and Rasmussen have never thrown a pitch above AA, and Griep had a cup of coffee there before inexplicably being send back to Biloxi. Perdomo is pretty rarely used in AAA. It's obvious that they have no interest in giving these young guys a chance, and instead prefer to cycle through retreads and AAAA types. I don't see this changing, unfortunately.

This is going to sound negative, and it is, but with Woodruff's injury, we are now down to 0 starting arms that we can count on. ZERO!

We went from needing one starter to add to Woodruff and hope one of the others could come through. Now we would need two starters minimal for any chance at a play-off push.

I think the odds are so stacked against us that it would be foolish to give up the prospects it would take to get us into that kind of shape.

I have not been on the "sell" train up until now. I just can't see a way we can creep back into this with a crappy rotation AND a crappy bullpen.

This really sucks.

Nothing could be more true. Sadly.

Since all this is right on the money, the only thing I can see the team doing now is getting serviceable rentals for the rest of the season. Basically, other team's #4's and #5's and veteran iffy relievers on July 31. We might even have to take on salary to get it done. I thought a big name was coming our way, but not any more. The fringe chance is trying to trade for a Bauer so we have him next year too.

I can't see us getting rid of Moose and Grandal so we are not giving up in July. There are only 4 games now before the deadline, and even if we lose them all.... probably not enough to trade off parts. The majority of fans will not be in support of the team giving up or in in July.

I NOW cannot see us adding big because of the cost to do it (with so many teams in contention) and our vast dire needs, not just one or two guys anymore.

Travis Shaw not in Missions lineup tonight. Will have to wait to see if he is at the park last tonight but it could make sense to call him back up as we won’t need another starter until Tuesday technically.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This really sucks.

Since all this is right on the money, the only thing I can see the team doing now is getting serviceable rentals for the rest of the season. Basically, other team's #4's and #5's and veteran iffy relievers on July 31. We might even have to take on salary to get it done. I thought a big name was coming our way, but not any more. The fringe chance is trying to trade for a Bauer so we have him next year too.

I can't see us getting rid of Moose and Grandal so we are not giving up in July. There are only 4 games now before the deadline, and even if we lose them all.... probably not enough to trade off parts. The majority of fans will not be in support of the team giving up or in in July.

I NOW cannot see us adding big because of the cost to do it (with so many teams in contention) and our vast dire needs, not just one or two guys anymore.

You get two veteran pitchers before the deadline. That's what they need. Minor league players won't work deep in the playoffs. Look at Chris Middleton of the Bucks. He showed no experience hurt the Eastern Conference games in both Toronto and Milwaukee. He choked big time. The team needs veterans NOW.

This really sucks.

You get two veteran pitchers before the deadline. That's what they need. Minor league players won't work deep in the playoffs. Look at Chris Middleton of the Bucks. He showed no experience hurt the Eastern Conference games in both Toronto and Milwaukee. He choked big time. The team needs veterans NOW.

:rolleyes

• 1 month later...

This really sucks.

Old post, but this is exactly what they did with the acquisitions of Jordan Lyles and Drew Pomeranz, which they received quite a bit of panning for initially. As it turns out, those two are responsible for keeping this pitching staff afloat.

Archived