Brewer Fanatic

Woodruff to IL with Strained Oblique

PeaveyFury
The biggest concern is who do they start against the Cubs to take Woody's spot?? It absolutely CANNOT be someone currently in the organization. That COULD be a division defining series, and it's way to important to throw a guy like Supak, or anyone else in the organization and "hope it works". Not with the way Chacin is throwing as well. Stearns NEEDS to have another starter by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest IMO. Pay the price...scared money don't make money.

You are the same guy that wanted to trade Hiura for Kluber this past off season. That is the perfect example why GM's don't make reactionary trades. Stearns knows what this team needs, but he is going to do it only if the value is right.

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?? I really don't remember saying that. If I did, then so be it. However, I would still consider trading Hiura IF I was getting an absolute stud Pitcher back with several years of control..I'd trade him for DeGrom for example.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest concern is who do they start against the Cubs to take Woody's spot?? It absolutely CANNOT be someone currently in the organization. That COULD be a division defining series, and it's way to important to throw a guy like Supak, or anyone else in the organization and "hope it works". Not with the way Chacin is throwing as well. Stearns NEEDS to have another starter by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest IMO. Pay the price...scared money don't make money.

You are the same guy that wanted to trade Hiura for Kluber this past off season. That is the perfect example why GM's don't make reactionary trades. Stearns knows what this team needs, but he is going to do it only if the value is right.

Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else?? I really don't remember saying that. If I did, then so be it. However, I would still consider trading Hiura IF I was getting an absolute stud Pitcher back with several years of control..I'd trade him for DeGrom for example.

That was you. Called Stearns 'too scared to move PROSPECTS for a Cy young winner.' Hiura isn't going anywhere.

The rotation lines up as Gio / Chase / Davies for the Cubs series. No one will be pitching on short rest with the off day Thursday.

It's listed as Gio, Woodruff, Chase right now.

Woodruff obviously isn’t going to start, everyone else will just move up a day. With the off day their still on normal rest.

This injury sucks, but we still line up ok thanks to the off day. Everyone worried about who’s going to make the starts, but we’re talking about maybe 3 starts total with all the off days. They honestly could just be bullpen days if needed.

Brewers 16-4 with Woodruff on mound, which puts them well under .500 with everybody else. As is, we cannot hope for more than playing .500 with no upgrades in the starting staff, and this would not sniff a Wild Card. Your move, DS.

Brewers 16-4 with Woodruff on mound, which puts them well under .500 with everybody else. As is, we cannot hope for more than playing .500 with no upgrades in the starting staff, and this would not sniff a Wild Card. Your move, DS.

Probably because they average 6.35 runs when he pitches. Anyone is going to have a nuts record with that support.

He gets video game run support.

Wish they'd called up Supak...

Time to make the deal for Will Smith.

But will the Giants be sellers? They are presently only 2 games out of the NL WC chase. If we are to make a trade for an arm we might have to look for one in the AL.

The rotation lines up as Gio / Chase / Davies for the Cubs series. No one will be pitching on short rest with the off day Thursday.

It's listed as Gio, Woodruff, Chase right now.

Woodruff obviously isn’t going to start, everyone else will just move up a day. With the off day their still on normal rest.

This injury sucks, but we still line up ok thanks to the off day. Everyone worried about who’s going to make the starts, but we’re talking about maybe 3 starts total with all the off days. They honestly could just be bullpen days if needed.

the injury could not have happened at a better time this season, they have 8 days off between now and the start of the 18 game stretch in september. we are going to see some serious roster magic happen in August

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

the only series they will run into needing a 5th person in the rotation is in the Pirates series in August. After that they will be able to get by without having that 5th SP because of the way the days off fall (basically every thursday for the month plus one tuesday)

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Tom

@Haudricourt

·

#Brewers GM David Stearns on whether Woodruff injury makes it imperative to acquire starter: "I don't know that we can let his temporary absence impact how we manage the deadline. I have found that potential acquisition costs generally dictate what is reasonable and what is not."

You guys are trying to ignore the loss by mentioning how we won't really need a 5th starter. If that is the case think of it like this: Our 4th starter (now) Chacin now has to pitch where we could have dumped him to bullpen duties if we still had Woodruff. It also kills depth regardless of our need for 5 guys or not.

With all the off days we now will keep Chacin pitching all the time instead of Woodruff. That hurts.

You guys are trying to ignore the loss by mentioning how we won't really need a 5th starter. If that is the case think of it like this: Our 4th starter (now) Chacin now has to pitch where we could have dumped him to bullpen duties if we still had Woodruff. It also kills depth regardless of our need for 5 guys or not.

With all the off days we now will keep Chacin pitching all the time instead of Woodruff. That hurts.

no one is ignoring the loss (where did anyone say that?), we're saying how the loss isn't as bad as it could have been if we had a month where there were only 3 days off instead of 7 or 8.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I haven't felt this low on the Brewers since 2017 when they were giving games away during the second half. Winning yesterday would have helped, but we hardly have a starter that can pitch 6 innings! Waiting for news of big pitching pickups...

I haven't felt this low on the Brewers since 2017 when they were giving games away during the second half. Winning yesterday would have helped, but we hardly have a starter that can pitch 6 innings! Waiting for news of big pitching pickups...

How were you feeling when we went 5-1 in the 6 games prior to yesterday's loss? Like it was a desert mirage?

How were you feeling when we went 5-1 in the 6 games prior to yesterday's loss? Like it was a desert mirage?

Pretty good actually.... BUT THEN Woodruff was healthy and could theoretically headline pitch this team in Aug/Sept. and playoffs.

Looks like chacin is going to the dl so whoever was complaining about his starting won't have to worry about that for a bit

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Looks like chacin is going to the dl so whoever was complaining about his starting won't have to worry about that for a bit

Peralta seems like the logical choice to replace him, but man has he been dealing from the pen lately.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Peralta seems like the logical choice to replace him, but man has he been dealing from the pen lately.

I doubt they go down that road again. I think Houser for sure will go back to the rotation (which is kinda unfortunate). It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilkerson (ugh) take starts as well. They've already said Nelson isn't going to be stretched out again as a starter this year. My choice would be Supak, but they seem hesitant to even promote him from AA.

Matt Harvey (big gulp) just passed through waivers unclaimed, and is a free agent. They liked him last year.

I doubt they go down that road again. I think Houser for sure will go back to the rotation (which is kinda unfortunate). It wouldn't surprise me to see Wilkerson (ugh) take starts as well. They've already said Nelson isn't going to be stretched out again as a starter this year. My choice would be Supak, but they seem hesitant to even promote him from AA.

Matt Harvey (big gulp) just passed through waivers unclaimed, and is a free agent. They liked him last year.

Why not Harvey. He's got the stuff. Might as well toss him out there and see if he can do anything, give us any type of shot in the arm.

If he can't, are we really in a different spot than we are now?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Why not Harvey. He's got the stuff. Might as well toss him out there and see if he can do anything, give us any type of shot in the arm.

If he can't, are we really in a different spot than we are now?

I'm thinking out loud here, but if only 1 drunkard can see Harvey and the rest of the world can't, does that also apply to objects held and thrown by Harvey, or would the ball suddenly appear once it left his hand. If so that could be quite the advantage.

Oh wait, wrong Harvey, this Harvey always makes a decision flipping a coin, that would really make the game drag on.

Seriously though, I don't know if there is a cutoff for minor league contracts, but if so, that might not be a bad idea with the usual cutoff date thrown in.

Who will take the ball in place of Chacin for his next start?

I don't think Houser is the best candidate and they should leave him in the bullpen.

One player on the 40 man roster that could be a candidate is RHP Trey Supak at AA Biloxi. He last pitched on Monday and he has had two near no hitters in the past month at that level.

My choice would be to stretch Freddy P back out to insert him in the bullpen but that won't happen quickly.

I agree that Smyly sure would have been a nice alternative but hopefully Sterns adds a SP soon.

The home/away 6 games against the Cubs the next two weekends will likely make or break the Brewers season.

They don’t need anyone by Sunday.

Fri- Gio

Sat- Anderson

Sun- Davies

Mon- Off

Tues- Need Starter

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think Houser is the best candidate and they should leave him in the bullpen.

One player on the 40 man roster that could be a candidate is RHP Trey Supak at AA Biloxi. He last pitched on Monday and he has had two near no hitters in the past month at that level.

My choice would be to stretch Freddy P back out to insert him in the bullpen but that won't happen quickly.

I agree that Smyly sure would have been a nice alternative but hopefully Sterns adds a SP soon.

The home/away 6 games against the Cubs the next two weekends will likely make or break the Brewers season.

I think Chacin likely would have made his next start. The well is getting pretty dry as far as viable starting pitching options.

I like Supak as well, but there has to be a reason why they haven't even promoted him to AAA yet. For a guy who is taking a 40-man spot and has been near dominant in AA, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I want Houser to stay in the pen, but I think they are going to be forced to put him back in the rotation. I get the feeling he's ahead of Peralta in the rotation pecking order currently, as he was just moved back to the pen last week. He should have no problem taking starts again, as only one turn has been missed. Honestly, I know it isn't inspiring, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Houser and Burch Smith take Woody and Chacin's spots in the rotation. Smith has been bleh as a mop-up reliever, but he was pretty dominant in his time as a starter at AAA. Otherwise Wilkerson, Shelby Miller, Derby, Zach Brown and Thomas Jankins are currently holding down AAA rotation spots. I think if Nelson comes back up, it will be exclusively as a reliever.

I think Chacin likely would have made his next start. The well is getting pretty dry as far as viable starting pitching options.

I like Supak as well, but there has to be a reason why they haven't even promoted him to AAA yet. For a guy who is taking a 40-man spot and has been near dominant in AA, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I want Houser to stay in the pen, but I think they are going to be forced to put him back in the rotation. I get the feeling he's ahead of Peralta in the rotation pecking order currently, as he was just moved back to the pen last week. He should have no problem taking starts again, as only one turn has been missed. Honestly, I know it isn't inspiring, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Houser and Burch Smith take Woody and Chacin's spots in the rotation. Smith has been bleh as a mop-up reliever, but he was pretty dominant in his time as a starter at AAA. Otherwise Wilkerson, Shelby Miller, Derby, Zach Brown and Thomas Jankins are currently holding down AAA rotation spots. I think if Nelson comes back up, it will be exclusively as a reliever.

So what's the deal with Wilkerson. Is he hurt? This guy is lights out in AAA but gets yanked off Brewers squad like weather changes here. Jason Vargas is available for trade from the Mets. He has one of the best change ups in the majors and he knows post season play. Also, Ian Kennedy can be picked up from the Royals for next to nothing. Two veteran arms that the Brewers need. One starter and one reliever. They need both.

So what's the deal with Wilkerson. Is he hurt? This guy is lights out in AAA but gets yanked off Brewers squad like weather changes here. Jason Vargas is available for trade from the Mets. He has one of the best change ups in the majors and he knows post season play. Also, Ian Kennedy can be picked up from the Royals for next to nothing. Two veteran arms that the Brewers need. One starter and one reliever. They need both.

I think the Brewers brass has recognized Wilkerson for what he is, which is a AAAA arm. His command allows him to get away with his sub-optimal stuff against AAA hitters, but he gets exposed against MLB hitting. He got slapped around pretty good in his last MLB appearance, and was promptly sent packing. Textbook AAAA guy. I'm not a Vargas fan, but I agree that he'd eat innings and probably keep them in most games. He also would cost next to nothing. Kennedy would be a solid add, but he has a huge salary and a contract that runs through next year. If you can get the Royals to eat some of that deal, then maybe.

Archived