Brewer Fanatic

Woodruff to IL with Strained Oblique

PeaveyFury
I’d start Peralta to see if he’s got things dialed in and able to start. I’d call up someone like Wilson or Williams (either one) to fill a bullpen spot

I don't want it to be Peralta for similar reasons I don't want it to be Houser. It's just too damaging to our pen where we finally seem to have things working in a positive direction.

I'd tolerate giving Wilkerson a shot, but I'd prefer Supak. Whoever it is, we need to be reasonably confident of them keeping us in games for the next 6-8 weeks or so.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When will Suter be ready to come back?

I would guess August/September?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

When will Suter be ready to come back?

I would guess August/September?

Last I saw was late August would be best case scenario. As in no setbacks, and he looks sharp in AAA. After TJ, most guys take some time to get their command back...and considering Suter throws like 37 mph, he's going to need every bit of that command back to be effective. I wouldn't count on the Brewers letting him pitch at the MLB level this season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’m not crazy about calling our own players “trash.”

You are nitpicking how I use the word trash while someone else openly wishes Chacin would have been hurt for an extended period of time instead...you guys got the wrong priorities.

How about don't call people trash and don't wish injuries on them? Seems simple enough.

Also, a reminder to report a post if you find it offensive.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I’d start Peralta to see if he’s got things dialed in and able to start. I’d call up someone like Wilson or Williams (either one) to fill a bullpen spot

I don't want it to be Peralta for similar reasons I don't want it to be Houser. It's just too damaging to our pen where we finally seem to have things working in a positive direction.

So... you want our pen to be stronger than our starting rotation?

Why not the best pitchers be the ones who pitch the most innings?

So... you want our pen to be stronger than our starting rotation?

Why not the best pitchers be the ones who pitch the most innings?

Because the best pitchers aren't always still the best when you change their role. If it was that simple, Josh Hader would be in our rotation.

Ideally I'd like both to be strong, but the pen has been what has killed us lately.

Have you seen Peralta's starter/reliever splits? Housers?

I have great doubt that either performs better in the rotation than Supak and either simultaneously creates another big hole in the bullpen.

Because the best pitchers aren't always still the best when you change their role. If it was that simple, Josh Hader would be in our rotation.

Ideally I'd like both to be strong, but the pen has been what has killed us lately.

I have great doubt that either performs better in the rotation than Supak and either simultaneously creates another big hole in the bullpen.

Supak is not really missing bats in AA, its a very tall order to call up a starting pitcher with one season worth of innings above A ball to pitch on a competitive team in the major leagues, and expect his pitching to keep the team in games. For these reasons it is most logical for Houser to step back into the rotation when needed.

It's not really as simple as "the best pitchers should be starting" because then Hader would be in the rotation I think.

Houser has a starter's repertoire right now and should be starting, imo. He's also not a free agent until after the 2024 season, so investing in him as a starter now can pay off for numerous years down the road. Seems like a good idea.

Peralta, on the other hand, still has not shown a desire to throw his changeup and for the moment probably should not be relied upon to start. If the Brewers were out of contention, maybe, but for now his FB is playing up nicely in the bullpen. They should revisit this in the winter/spring.

Yes, I have seen their starter/reliever splits. I've also seen Peralta throw 6 or more innings of one run ball or less eight times. I also know that it's difficult getting yanked back and forth between starting and relieving and AAA and the majors; just look at Woodruff's first two seasons.

I also know that Adam Wainwright was the closer on St. Louis's 2006 World Series team, and I'll bet that they're pretty glad they didn't keep him in that role. I believe that it's a fool's errand to definitively define a guy as a starter or reliever based on less than 200 career innings.

With all of the days off, they won't need a 5th starter until August 3rd and then not until August 20th. I assume this means we're going to see more of Chacin starting.

Yes, I have seen their starter/reliever splits. I've also seen Peralta throw 6 or more innings of one run ball or less eight times. I also know that it's difficult getting yanked back and forth between starting and relieving and AAA and the majors; just look at Woodruff's first two seasons.

I also know that Adam Wainwright was the closer on St. Louis's 2006 World Series team, and I'll bet that they're pretty glad they didn't keep him in that role. I believe that it's a fool's errand to definitively define a guy as a starter or reliever based on less than 200 career innings.

Ok, great. Then if the Brewers really believe that Peralta is a starter (I'm still quite skeptical), revisit his role in the offseason. Doing it now in the middle of a pennant race is extremely risky at best. As you just yourself said, getting yanked back and forth is tough for these guys, so leave Peralta alone in the role he's been successful in this year.

The biggest concern is who do they start against the Cubs to take Woody's spot?? It absolutely CANNOT be someone currently in the organization. That COULD be a division defining series, and it's way to important to throw a guy like Supak, or anyone else in the organization and "hope it works". Not with the way Chacin is throwing as well. Stearns NEEDS to have another starter by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest IMO. Pay the price...scared money don't make money.

The biggest concern is who do they start against the Cubs to take Woody's spot?? It absolutely CANNOT be someone currently in the organization. That COULD be a division defining series, and it's way to important to throw a guy like Supak, or anyone else in the organization and "hope it works". Not with the way Chacin is throwing as well. Stearns NEEDS to have another starter by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest IMO. Pay the price...scared money don't make money.

You are the same guy that wanted to trade Hiura for Kluber this past off season. That is the perfect example why GM's don't make reactionary trades. Stearns knows what this team needs, but he is going to do it only if the value is right.

Archived