Brewer Fanatic

Woodruff to IL with Strained Oblique

PeaveyFury

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch...brutal news. Likely won’t see Woodruff for quite some time depending on severity.

Time to make that starting pitching move now and avoid some damage! Timing of injury likely means Burnes/Nelson or other internal trash only makes one start...possibly. They can’t trot out both Chacín and another garbage can consistently.

Ouch...brutal news. Likely won’t see Woodruff for quite some time depending on severity.

Time to make that starting pitching move now and avoid some damage!

Terrible news, but expected, might be seeing more creative pitching usage, just with Woodruff. He should heal in 6-9 weeks depending on the severity, but the minor league season will be over, no rehab assignments, maybe sim games? Wow. Bullpen? Piggyback like last year vs Dodgers?

Time to make that starting pitching move now and avoid some damage!

Terrible news, but expected, might be seeing more creative pitching usage, just with Woodruff. He should heal in 6-9 weeks depending on the severity, but the minor league season will be over, no rehab assignments, maybe sim games? Wow. Bullpen? Piggyback like last year vs Dodgers?

They will get him back starting, no doubt in my mind. If they make the postseason they need him starting and pitching innings.

Supak’s last start was on July 16th and Aaron Wilkerson was July 17th.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think you roll the dice with upside and go with Supak though I have a feeling they may go with Smyly if he's effective in his next start. They are off Thursday, so no need to make a move for a starter just yet. Another reliever is sure to be added for tomorrow. Maybe Williams? Getting a starter in a deal is mandatory of Chacin doesn't bounce back from his last start.

Thames did look like he hurt something too but Shaw's in the lineup tonight so probably nothing.

I think you roll the dice with upside and go with Supak though I have a feeling they may go with Smyly if he's effective in his next start. They are off Thursday, so no need to make a move for a starter just yet. Another reliever is sure to be added for tomorrow. Maybe Williams? Getting a starter in a deal is mandatory of Chacin doesn't bounce back from his last start.

Thames did look like he hurt something too but Shaw's in the lineup tonight so probably nothing.

Smyly is on the Phillies now.

With his past innings, was it unrealistic to think he would pitch 200+ innings this year?

Brandon's highest IP in a season is 158 in 2016.

Before today he was pretty much right at 6 IP per start (19 GS/114.2 IP)

Even if he had made 32-33 starts he probably still would've come up short.

No shame in that, though. After 28 pitchers threw 200+ innings in 2015 it declined to 15 in each of 2016 & 2017 then only 13 in 2018.

Next starter isn't needed until August 3, but with this and Chacin needing another phantom IL stint if he craps out again I think you need two more starters. And I don't think Houser or Peralta should be either, since they're going a long way to turning the pen around and if they continue to not be able to make effective starts you create more problems than you solve. I think one of the starters needs to be internal, and the other acquired.

Trey Supak to the rescue!!

That's one!

I really hope it is not Houser back to the rotation. It's just a much better bullpen here with Houser. He's better in that role and it lessens the burden on the other relievers.

Supak is my top choice and to me he's earned his shot. He's already on the 40, so it's easy. Call up whoever for a few days -- Barnes, Williams, Dubon, Shaw. Give Supak one more start in Biloxi and then call him up to start 7/30 in Oakland.

I really hope it is not Houser back to the rotation. It's just a much better bullpen here with Houser. He's better in that role and it lessens the burden on the other relievers.

Supak is my top choice and to me he's earned his shot. He's already on the 40, so it's easy. Call up whoever for a few days -- Barnes, Williams, Dubon, Shaw. Give Supak one more start in Biloxi and then call him up to start 7/30 in Oakland.

I agree with your Supak choice.

But I’ve been wrong all year in trying to guess the front office moves. It wouldn’t shock me if it’s Houser or Peralta or even Wilkerson or Smith.Not Pitching Supak could be deadline related.

I’m not crazy about calling our own players “trash.”

You are nitpicking how I use the word trash while someone else openly wishes Chacin would have been hurt for an extended period of time instead...you guys got the wrong priorities.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I’m not crazy about calling our own players “trash.”

You are nitpicking how I use the word trash while someone else openly wishes Chacin would have been hurt for an extended period of time instead...you guys got the wrong priorities.

You are right ... what a horrible thing to say, even on a fan message board. I remember seeing it last night and just shaking my head. Comments like that have been par for the course around here lately.

But two wrongs don't make a right, either. I'm not a fan of the pitching depth they have available to them, and if they use Woodruff's spot to call up one of their underwhelming AAAA relievers (Barnes, Williams, Petricka, Wilson, Hart), I'm going to be disappointed. But calling them trash is probably a little over the top.

Calling up one of the AAAA relievers is almost certainly going to be the short term move because they need immediate bullpen help after the heavy load of the weekend and won’t need a fifth starter until later next week. Obviously the real decision comes in the next 10 days.

I’m obviously in the minority on this, but I don’t want to see the Brewers give up much of anything for a rental starter. I was skeptical about the Brewers chances to make the playoffs before Woodruff got hurt, and anyone they pick up is likely to be not as good as Woodruff. With so many teams in positions as good as or better than the Brewers, many of them with more resources, and so few teams with decent pitchers selling, the competition will be fierce and the prices will be high. I’d be just as happy to see the Brewers put their hopes on the offense living up to its potential and carrying the team, and accepting the results if that doesn’t work.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived