Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Diamondbacks (Young) [Brewers win, 7-4 -- Saladino grand slam ties it in 4th; Bullpen stellar after Woodruff exits with abdominal injury]

Eye Black
Cal Ripken might have been that much better with a scheduled day off here and there. But I love the streak so glad he did it.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call it a dumb question, but why does Yelich need a 'scheduled day off'.

Cal Ripken never needed them, nor did a lot of other all time greats that played 160+ games a year.

Why don't pitchers throw 125 pitches in a start anymore? The all time greats used to do it.

Cal Ripken never needed them, nor did a lot of other all time greats that played 160+ games a year.

-Because we are smarter now.

-Because the game has become much more intense phycially over the years.

-It is no longer possible to eat hot dogs and drink beer at a local tavern between games of a doubleheader.

Community Moderator

Because our understanding of rest as a preventative measure has evolved over time.

Yes, that and the fact that Yelich evidently has a nagging back situation that he manages through.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

-It is no longer possible to heat hot dogs and drink beer at a local tavern between games of a doubleheader.

You act like this is something that's archaic. Prince Fielder played three straight seasons in which he played 162 games. It wasn't that long ago.

Check that actually, Prince Fielder only missed one game in a five year span from 2009-2013.

& his career ended prematurely due to injury.

I'm sure taking one game off per week would have changed all of that and he'd be playing first base for Texas right now with 50 home runs....(sarcasm)

Eric Byrnes is a weird dude. He looks like one of the sketchy territorial surfer dudes in Point Break

I remember when the All Star Game was in San Francisco during his playing days. He took a boat out into the cove with his dog in it. Think it was one of his better years and he was kind of a snub, so that's how he went to the game anyway.

-It is no longer possible to heat hot dogs and drink beer at a local tavern between games of a doubleheader.

You act like this is something that's archaic. Prince Fielder played three straight seasons in which he played 162 games. It wasn't that long ago.

I tend to think of it as more of being a millennial

Because our understanding of rest as a preventative measure has evolved over time.

Yes, hello back tightness.

If Grisham CONTINUES to rake, the brewers should consider optioning Gamel, rostering Grisham and calling him up, to give more rest to Braun, Cain even Yelich, without losing much if any offense. He’d get plenty of AB’s, and be playoff eligible.

7 unanswered runs.......impressive!

Pretty good considering the pathetic manager not understanding the importance of the game by running out an all time Sunday lineup then having to rely on garbage relievers for multiple innings after our All Star starter left early with an injury.

Community Moderator
Check that actually, Prince Fielder only missed one game in a five year span from 2009-2013.

This is from an interview with Prince Fielder (Link) following his premature retirement...

You played 162 games a year four times and missed only 13 games over eight seasons. How much of a toll did that take on your body?

PF: ”Obviously, I think this caused my early retirement, but I couldn't do it any other way. Just for the record, I never asked for any of the days off in my career. I fought every one of them. I guess you need days off, but I just didn't want them.”

“A lot of people probably say I'm stupid, and they're probably right, because there are people who take days off who are still in the league, and I'm not. But it's easier for me to accept that I can't play anymore because I literally gave it all I got. That allows me to be a little bit more at peace.”

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is from an interview with Prince Fielder (Link)...

You played 162 games a year four times and missed only 13 games over eight seasons. How much of a toll did that take on your body?

PF: ”Obviously, I think this caused my early retirement, but I couldn't do it any other way. Just for the record, I never asked for any of the days off in my career. I fought every one of them. I guess you need days off, but I just didn't want them.”

“A lot of people probably say I'm stupid, and they're probably right, because there are people who take days off who are still in the league, and I'm not. But it's easier for me to accept that I can't play anymore because I literally gave it all I got. That allows me to be a little bit more at peace.”

It was more about him being completely overweight his whole career. Not taking a random Sunday off

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yes, hello back tightness.

If Grisham CONTINUES to rake, the brewers should consider optioning Gamel, rostering Grisham and calling him up, to give more rest to Braun, Cain even Yelich, without losing much if any offense. He’d get plenty of AB’s, and be playoff eligible.

Ben Gamel is not going anywhere. I know you obviously don't like him, but he has done nothing to show that a guy with all of 35 games in AAA deserves a spot over him.

Archived