Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-21: Brewers (Woodruff) at Diamondbacks (Young) [Brewers win, 7-4 -- Saladino grand slam ties it in 4th; Bullpen stellar after Woodruff exits with abdominal injury]

Eye Black
Yeah! Now THAT was a satisfying win!

I hope all you guys who gave up on this game either after the lineup was posted or after Woody gave up a few early runs realizes that this is why they play the games.

It was a win-win for me. Instead of parking in front of the TV for almost 4 hours, after the third inning I set the DVR and took advantage of the first day this week that it was comfortable to be outside. Came back in two hours later and watched the game develop with liberal use of fast forward. I missed part of the game when I fainted after Saladino’s GS, but the score hadn’t changed anyway so I didn’t bother going back.

Just got to the end of the game. Nice win but kind of concerned about Woodruff, especially since he was set up to face the Cubs twice. The off days this Thursday and next Monday could come in handy.

I wonder if Shaw remembers how to play first base. That Thames injury looks like an instant DL.

ETA- just saw the news on Woodruff. That’s going to be hard to overcome. I was already thinking the best move for the Brewers would be to stand pat or maybe pick up a depth bullpen arm if they can do it for lesser prospects. I see their only real chance to contend without giving more too much is to hope the offense can carry the team.

That's what he has been playing in SA recently. They can't stand pat..even before Woody's injury I have said that. Now they have to go get a BIG arm.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope all you guys who gave up on this game either after the lineup was posted or after Woody gave up a few early runs realizes that this is why they play the games.

It was a win-win for me. Instead of parking in front of the TV for almost 4 hours, after the third inning I set the DVR and took advantage of the first day this week that it was comfortable to be outside. Came back in two hours later and watched the game develop with liberal use of fast forward. I missed part of the game when I fainted after Saladino’s GS, but the score hadn’t changed anyway so I didn’t bother going back.

Just got to the end of the game. Nice win but kind of concerned about Woodruff, especially since he was set up to face the Cubs twice. The off days this Thursday and next Monday could come in handy.

I wonder if Shaw remembers how to play first base. That Thames injury looks like an instant DL.

ETA- just saw the news on Woodruff. That’s going to be hard to overcome. I was already thinking the best move for the Brewers would be to stand pat or maybe pick up a depth bullpen arm if they can do it for lesser prospects. I see their only real chance to contend without giving more too much is to hope the offense can carry the team.

That's what he has been playing in SA recently. They can't stand pat..even before Woody's injury I have said that. Now they have to go get a BIG arm.

I disagree. Without Woodruff for an extended period thay aren’t going to have enough anyway, and I hate to see them pay what it would take to get a big arm, even if one is available. With so many teams looking to add pitching the prices are going to be astronomical.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I disagree. Without Woodruff for an extended period thay aren’t going to have enough anyway, and I hate to see them pay what it would take to get a big arm, even if one is available. With so many teams looking to add pitching the prices are going to be astronomical.

So what are you supposed to do?? Just punt on the rest of the season and trot guys like Aaron Wilkerson out there to take woody's place?? You can't do that, and not have fans VERY irate. And I'm 99% certain mark A wouldn't want to do that either.

I don't believe that you are forced to get a big type arm and especially when teams knows we could be desperate.

I’m crossing my fingers for Grienke. Then we can replace Woody’s bat.

Wheeler is hurt. The Giants are only 2.5 games behind the Brewers and aren’t currently selling. Texas is probably selling but Minor would be the best available arm. If they need a starter it’s likley Houser with Nelson coming back to assume Houser’s bullpen spot

Man. Now they need any acquisition to replace, rather than upgrade. Absolutely brutal.

Time to get someone RIGHT now...they will need them for the Cubs series. It's still an upgrade when Woody comes back though. They better NOT trot out one of their crap arms they have been for a game against the Cubs in place of Woody.

Burnes and Shaw will be back.

Sign me up.... maybe Perez too.

Braun unavailable today...it was Yelich's scheduled day off apparently. Why in the hell if you know Braun is hurt and unavailable would you not reschedule Yelich's day off then?? And to sit Yasmani at the same time?? Pathetic managing to say the least. Guess these games aren't that important to CC. You play to win the game.

This isn't the first time that both Yelich and Grandal sat on the same day.

Woodruff’s pitch count is mounting quickly with only 3 outs.

And the game is now pretty much out of reach.

Good time to go back outside to enjoy the rest of a nice day.

Did you really go outside and not watch the rest of the game?

Can you imagine if we had a pitcher who pitched like an elite ace and had the results to match it?

Brewers have literally not had one do so over a full season in a Brewers uniform since Sheets in 2008. Don’t think Woodruff will be the one to break the streak.

He’s a legit #1 now, working his way to ace status, maybe next year he can be that elite ace that you want.

IMO Woodruff is our ace.

Now if Woodruff is who we we think he is settle in and keep them off the board so we can keep rolling.

I miss it. He hurt?

Oh no! We had the game on in the background so I missed that...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jimmy Nelson's line today:

1.0 IP, 2 H, ER, 0 BB, K on 21 pitches (11 strikes)

Yes, but he was throwing to low A guys in Grand Chute.

So what? It's a rehab assignment. It wouldn't surprise me if he made a few more appearances in Appleton, then perhaps went to San Antonio before coming back up to the Brewers' pen. It appears with the probably shuffle due to Woodruff's injury that we may need Nelson to come up and pitch meaningful innings at some point yet this season. I just hope he made it through his inning and his elbow feels good this morning.

5-1 now since Stearns proclamation

If the Brewers continue to rattle off wins it’s going to be disappointing if they don’t end up making any meaningful acquisitions at the deadline. Especially after his comments.

Comments? When and what did he say?

So what? It's a rehab assignment. It wouldn't surprise me if he made a few more appearances in Appleton, then perhaps went to San Antonio before coming back up to the Brewers' pen. It appears with the probably shuffle due to Woodruff's injury that we may need Nelson to come up and pitch meaningful innings at some point yet this season. I just hope he made it through his inning and his elbow feels good this morning.

Let's see how Nelson performs in San Antonio.

Archived