Brewer Fanatic

SS market

Who is out there on the SS market? I don't think the Brewers should trade for one but CC obviously doesn't trust Arcia and we cannot continue playing Saladino can we? It seems like a weak SS market. One name I have seen is Freddy Galvis from the Blue Jay's.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

If the Brewers wanted to add a utility player via trade that could cover shortstop with regularity (bumping Saladino off the roster) that would also offer offensive production then I think the Marlins Miguel Rojas is the best option likely to be available. Rojas is under contract through next season (2020).

Ultimately I don’t think they will add a SS from outside the organization at this deadline.

Edit: Just saw Rojas injured his shoulder on Saturday, so depending on the severity he may not be a viable option.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Brewers wanted to add a utility player via trade that could cover shortstop with regularity (bumping Saladino off the roster) that would also offer offensive production then I think the Marlins Miguel Rojas is the best option likely to be available. Rojas is under contract through next season (2020).

Ultimately I don’t think they will add a SS from outside the organization at this deadline.

Edit: Just saw Rojas injured his shoulder on Saturday, so depending on the severity he may not be a viable option.

I also dont think the Brewers should go get a SS but I also think Saladino should never see the starting lineup (ar most once a week). A better utility player would be great.

Arcia for Galvis straight up.

I’ll give up a couple of extra years of Arcia for 2 years of Galvis. Galvis helps me win now. Would Toronto do it?

source.gif

Head scratcher. Galvis is basically Arcia but almost 30. At least Arcia still has a fighting chance to be good.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If I'm the GM of the Jays, I'm going to ask for another piece. Maybe, Ashby or that Rasmussen kid. All the while, I'm thrilled to do it straight up, but since your offer appears to be one of desperation, I want a little more!!

Galvis has a career high wRC+ of 100 this year driven by a career high BABIP of .323 (compared to a .288 mark prior to this season).

StatCast has him as the 30th "luckiest" hitter in MLB (min 100 PAs) so far with an expected wOBA of .286 versus an actual wOBA of .325. If you raise the PA threshold to 250 he has been the 12th "luckiest" hitter in MLB so far.

I think Stearns & company will just roll with Orlando/Saladino/Mauricio (if he isn't dealt) & hope one of them gets hot over dealing for a regression candidate like Galvis.

Don't see a heck of a lot, maybe Tim Beckham of the Mariners if they are looking more utility. He is somewhat better offensively but losing some on defense. Still has talent but if the Orioles give up on you . . .

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I’ll give up a couple of extra years of Arcia for 2 years of Galvis. Galvis helps me win now. Would Toronto do it?

source.gif

Head scratcher. Galvis is basically Arcia but almost 30. At least Arcia still has a fighting chance to be good.

Because DIFFERENT!!! Because players not playing for the Brewers are automatically better because they are not playing for the Brewers!

source.gif

Because DIFFERENT!!! Because players not playing for the Brewers are automatically better because they are not playing for the Brewers!

Just read jim’s 2 posts in the Arcia thread, go ahead and read them if you haven’t already, it puts into perspective how bad of a hitter Arcia’s been, and now that his defense has been lacking, he has to be one of the worst SS in baseball. Now maybe Galvis isn’t the answer, but, to not try to get better at the SS position of this team is ridiculous, imo.

It’s not just different. Just like it’s not just different to try to add a potential upgrade offensively at fourth outfielder.

Just read jim’s 2 posts in the Arcia thread, go ahead and read them if you haven’t already, it puts into perspective how bad of a hitter Arcia’s been, and now that his defense has been lacking, he has to be one of the worst SS in baseball. Now maybe Galvis isn’t the answer, but, to not try to get better at the SS position of this team is ridiculous, imo.

It’s not just different. Just like it’s not just different to try to add a potential upgrade offensively at fourth outfielder.

At least I can understand wanting to upgrade from Arcia. His offense has been better than last year, but it still isn't good. And they aren't even playing him, so something is obviously up there. It sucks, because he's an uber-talented, home-grown 24-year-old kid who has shown elite defensive abilities and solid offensive potential. He's the type of athlete you build around, not jettison. I do understand if their patience with him is wearing thin, though. If they are going to upgrade from Arcia (who still has considerable upside), I sure as heck hope that they target someone better than Galvis, who as Brew4u said, is basically an older, less talented version of Arcia.

Your insistence on upgrading from Gamel continues to be much more in the ridiculous category, though, IMO.

At least I can understand wanting to upgrade from Arcia. His offense has been better than last year, but it still isn't good. And they aren't even playing him, so something is obviously up there. It sucks, because he's an uber-talented, home-grown 24-year-old kid who has shown elite defensive abilities and solid offensive potential. He's the type of athlete you build around, not jettison. I do understand if their patience with him is wearing thin, though. If they are going to upgrade from Arcia (who still has considerable upside), I sure as heck hope that they target someone better than Galvis, who as Brew4u said, is basically an older, less talented version of Arcia.

Your insistence on upgrading from Gamel continues to be much more in the ridiculous category, though, IMO.

Nailed it. Brew Crew 92, you found a player that isn’t an upgrade. Yes he’s having a nice year (finally) but you’re giving up on a player that is cheap, controlled, and has tons of talent for a player that isn’t.

There’s also this:

On the flipside Segura posted a 78 wRC+ in 1,927 PAs with the Brewers & has gone on to post a 113 wRC+ in 2,278 PAs since, so there is still a tiny sliver of a glimmer of hope (howsoever dim it may be).

Sometimes it takes longer. The Brewers offense is good enough that just tossing away Arcia is a really bad idea. They are not desperate.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Miguel Rojas, how would he adjust to Miller Park? Seems to be a pretty steady player the last three years averaging over 2 WAR playing SS but also can play other positions.

Nailed it. Brew Crew 92, you found a player that isn’t an upgrade. Yes he’s having a nice year (finally) but you’re giving up on a player that is cheap, controlled, and has tons of talent for a player that isn’t.

There’s also this:

On the flipside Segura posted a 78 wRC+ in 1,927 PAs with the Brewers & has gone on to post a 113 wRC+ in 2,278 PAs since, so there is still a tiny sliver of a glimmer of hope (howsoever dim it may be).

Sometimes it takes longer. The Brewers offense is good enough that just tossing away Arcia is a really bad idea. They are not desperate.

Galvis is also cheap for this year and next, 5.5 mil. And has almost as much war this year as Arcia has his entire career. Not sure if I nailed it or not though, I’m open to other possibilities for an upgrade. And when Stearns sells High on Yelich and Hader and others after next year, maybe we have a ML ready stud we can plug in for 2021.

Galvis is also cheap for this year and next, 5.5 mil. And has almost as much war this year as Arcia has his entire career. Not sure if I nailed it or not though, I’m open to other possibilities for an upgrade. And when Stearns sells High on Yelich and Hader and others after next year, maybe we have a ML ready stud we can plug in for 2021.

You should check out how much WAR Galvis had through his age 24 season (-.2) compared to Arcia at 2.5.

And $5.5M is not cheap for the type of player Galvis is. Nor should Stearns ever make moves on the assumption of what he may or may not be able to get in a trade for Yelich and/or Hader. Again, not how things work.

You should check out how much WAR Galvis had through his age 24 season (-.2) compared to Arcia at 2.5.

And $5.5M is not cheap for the type of player Galvis is. Nor should Stearns ever make moves on the assumption of what he may or may not be able to get in a trade for Yelich and/or Hader. Again, not how things work.

Imo, it’s cheap for a potential 3 war SS. But AGAIN, I’m open to other possibilities other than Galvis, although he most certainly would be an upgrade over Arcia, at least to me, the next 2 years.

Imo, it’s cheap for a potential 3 war SS. But AGAIN, I’m open to other possibilities other than Galvis, although he most certainly would be an upgrade over Arcia, at least to me, the next 2 years.

If they are seriously looking to replace Arcia, I think I'd rather just roll with Dubon's potential than trade anything of value for someone like Galvis.

If you wanted to take on Brendan's Crawford's remaining salary, I'm sure the Giants would listen despite their recent surge.

Actually, I don't think so. More than business is considered when talking about Crawford and San Fran.

I'm not overly concerned about adding a SS at the deadline. If anyone though, Jose Iglesias, Freddy Galvis, Miguel Rojas, and Eric Sogard all make some sense.

If Sogard can play a decent SS, he would be a pretty solid addition at the deadline actually.

Cain

Yelich

Moose

Hiura

Grandal

Thames

Braun

Sogard

P

Obviously you're missing the defensive stud...but that lineup doesn't really have a hole anywhere. If he can't play a solid SS, he wouldn't be a bad guy to look at but I don't think he'd be a great fit.

I'm not overly concerned about adding a SS at the deadline. If anyone though, Jose Iglesias, Freddy Galvis, Miguel Rojas, and Eric Sogard all make some sense.

If Sogard can play a decent SS, he would be a pretty solid addition at the deadline actually.

Cain

Yelich

Moose

Hiura

Grandal

Thames

Braun

Sogard

P

Obviously you're missing the defensive stud...but that lineup doesn't really have a hole anywhere. If he can't play a solid SS, he wouldn't be a bad guy to look at but I don't think he'd be a great fit.

The Brewers didn't have a problem playing him at SS in 2017 and 2018.

Like you said, it's not a perfect fit. None of these guys are perfect fits. SS is actually a pretty deep position these days and the Brewers have one of the worst in the league, but I also don't think it's their biggest need. If they can add one of the guys I mentioned for a minimal cost I'd be fore it.

Archived