Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-20: Brewers (Gonzalez) at Diamondbacks (Greinke) [Brewers win, 8-3 -- Bullpen delivers 5 scoreless innings in comeback win]

Eye Black
So, here's something I've been thinking about. I'm going to research it tonight. Has any player in the modern era ever led the league in AVG, HR, RBI....and SB?

The last NL player to even win the Triple Crown was Ducky Medwick, all the way back in 1937. So, if it's happened, it's likely been in the AL.

The only player I know for a fact that's done it was Ty Cobb. But that was back in 1909, and he led the league with 9 home runs.

How screwy is this season where Yelich could win the Triple Crown, and lead the league in SB, and not win the MVP? I'd put that right up there with Teddy Ballgame hitting .406, and now winning the MVP in '41. DiMaggio was great, especially during his streak, but Williams got walked 147 times, and still led the league with 37 home runs.

The HR/SB combo was discussed a few weeks ago. I went back to 1940 and nobody has won both titles let alone the other triple crown categories

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, here's something I've been thinking about. I'm going to research it tonight. Has any player in the modern era ever led the league in AVG, HR, RBI....and SB?

The last NL player to even win the Triple Crown was Ducky Medwick, all the way back in 1937. So, if it's happened, it's likely been in the AL.

The only player I know for a fact that's done it was Ty Cobb. But that was back in 1909, and he led the league with 9 home runs.

How screwy is this season where Yelich could win the Triple Crown, and lead the league in SB, and not win the MVP? I'd put that right up there with Teddy Ballgame hitting .406, and now winning the MVP in '41. DiMaggio was great, especially during his streak, but Williams got walked 147 times, and still led the league with 37 home runs.

He won’t win the rbi title though probably?

Bell is 8 ahead of Yelich and a bunch of others currently I think.

I mean possible... maybe when Huira finally gets to bat 2nd in the order. And if Cain can continue slowly getting better, lead off. Yeli could catch up.

Brewers 1-6 OPS'

Grandal .870

Yelich 1.157

Braun .805

Moose .895

Hiura .986

Thames .893

That's LETHAL.

What about Huira 3rd Braun 5th?

Can I get your thought process, when putting the lineup in that order? Not saying it's bad at all.

Regardless of what happens the rest of the year the fact that Yelich is the best player in baseball is fun.

I think it's too soon to strip Trout of that title.

We have our own mini Trout in Yelich.

Or the Angels have their own mini Yelich in Trout:)

We have such a deadly lineup when clicking.

Also Aguilar has been on fire.

Pina been hitting ball better.

Cain been heating up

Shaw tearing it up down in San Antonio.

We got options now.

And we got playoff Arcia to look forward to.

Solid solid hitters.

Top 3 In rotation Woody, Davies, Chase pitching great.

And with the deadline coming up, things about to get exciting.

Not to mention we will be back in first by August 1rst.

I'm very optimistic.

This team is back to being fun to watch.

I want the Dodgers in NLCS again.

Is it me or has the hall of fame really lowered its standards

Harold Baines being in is a joke. 38.7 WAR. Are you kidding me? Nice ballplayer, but nowhere near Cooperstown worthy, imo. Whoever is on the "Today's era" committee should be removed. Baines topped out at 6.1% of the vote when it was in the hands of the BBWAA. Never a truly elite player. Finished ninth in the MVP once, tenth another time.

This re-opens Pandora's Box. Braun, for comparative purposes, is at 47.3 bWAR coming into tonight. There's been no bigger Ryan Braun fan than I, but he's not Cooperstown-worthy right now. He'd need a late career resurgence to even be in the discussion, imho; and then, there's the steroids issue, and that cringe-worthy presser. But his resume absolutely blows Baines' out of the water. Braun won an MVP, was second and third in the vote in two other seasons. Five Silver Sluggers. Baines has the counting stats, and I get that a long, steady career is a feat in and of itself. But come on.

I guess I'm funny. I think the Hall of Fame should be reserved for the true legends of the game. Ruth and Gehrig. Cobb, WaJo, Grove, Young, Dimaggio and Williams, Gibson, Aaron, Mantle, Mays and Clemente. Those guys.

Ever since the Veteran's Committee let Chick Haffey in (thanks, in no small part to his buddy Frankie Frisch), the Hall has lost a lot of its credibility.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I'm not sure how the rotation looks vs cubs but hopefully we can get our top 3 in, in that series than I am predicting a sweep of the Cubs. Yes, that's right.

Optimism, a hunch, and they way we will be carrying momentum into that series having won 7 of 9.

I am usually very half empty kinda guy. But this is the way I see July ending. Oh and I used my free 3 min to ask Miss Cleo about this. That's how I really know.

;)

Good night men and women.

Let's get the series tomorrow and keep rolling.

Harold Baines being in is a joke. 38.7 WAR. Are you kidding me? Nice ballplayer, but nowhere near Cooperstown worthy, imo. Whoever is on the "Today's era" committee should be removed. Baines topped out at 6.1% of the vote when it was in the hands of the BBWAA. Never a truly elite player. Finished ninth in the MVP once, tenth another time.

This re-opens Pandora's Box. Braun, for comparative purposes, is at 47.3 bWAR coming into tonight. There's been no bigger Ryan Braun fan than I, but he's not Cooperstown-worthy right now. He'd need a late career resurgence to even be in the discussion, imho; and then, there's the steroids issue, and that cringe-worthy presser. But his resume absolutely blows Baines' out of the water. Braun won an MVP, was second and third in the vote in two other seasons. Five Silver Sluggers. Baines has the counting stats, and I get that a long, steady career is a feat in and of itself. But come on.

I guess I'm funny. I think the Hall of Fame should be reserved for the true legends of the game. Ruth and Gehrig. Cobb, WaJo, Grove, Young, Dimaggio and Williams, Gibson, Aaron, Mantle, Mays and Clemente. Those guys.

Ever since the Veteran's Committee let Chick Haffey in (thanks, in no small part to his buddy Frankie Frisch), the Hall has lost a lot of its credibility.

Tbh, it seems like the NBA and NFL have lowered their standards too.

Stache, you are right

"I guess I'm funny. I think the Hall of Fame should be reserved for the true legends of the game. Ruth and Gehrig. Cobb, WaJo, Grove, Young, Dimaggio and Williams, Gibson, Aaron, Mantle, Mays and Clemente, Yelich, and Huira"

I completely agree with you. Mariano Rivera is a no doubt hall of famer. But in the grand ole history of baseball the only player to get 100% of the vote is a relief pitcher. Come on

If you were on your little league field and you had to pick your teams with all the hall of famers this years class would be the last guys picked

Tbh, it seems like the NBA and NFL have lowered their standards too.

Nfl hall of fame is a joke. Basketball is weird because it’s not the nba. It’s every basketball league. Even high school coaches

I completely agree with you. Mariano Rivera is a no doubt hall of famer. But in the grand ole history of baseball the only player to get 100% of the vote is a relief pitcher. Come on

If you were on your little league field and you had to pick your teams with all the hall of famers this years class would be the last guys picked

Rivera is definitely Hall-worthy. If there were any argument to be made that he's not the greatest closer in history (I'm not saying that), it's inarguable that he'd still be one of the top two or three. When you're one of the best couple of players to ever play your position, you should be in.

But I agree that his getting in on 100% of the vote is absurd. A Milwaukee baseball homer I may be, but if a guy like Hank Aaron, who broke Ruth's home run record, ending with 755 bombs in his career didn't get in on 100% of the vote, who should? You take away every home run Aaron ever hit, and he still has 3,016 hits! And that's a gross oversimplification of his greatness. You can make the argument that racism played a part with at least one or two of the voters that excluded him from their ballots (what rational argument can be made against his induction on the first try?)

Ted Williams? The press hated him because he was oft a malcontent.

Cobb? He was a bastard (though his character flaws were grossly overstated)

Babe Ruth? Anti-Yankee bias?

So, what's the argument against Stan Musial? One of the most likable guys to ever play the game. Fantastic player. Generational hitter. And he got left off of 23 freaking ballots!! WAR considers a score of 8+ to be MVP caliber. Musial had eight MVP caliber seasons. And after he retired, he was as great a goodwill ambassador as baseball's ever had. If I had a kid, and Musial were alive, I'd have let him babysit for me, and not blink an eye. He was baseball's Bart Starr. Nobody has ever said an unkind word about the man.

I just don't get it.

And please don't get me started on Derek Jeter, because you just know he's going to be very close to 100%. I love Jeter's intensity. Played the game the right way. Incredible hitter, but vastly overrated defensively. He should be in the Hall, no doubt, but the narrative from Yankee fans will be that Jeter is an immortal-he's not. Not even close. He's not on the same level of Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle. He's just not.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Derek jeter is one of the few guys I don’t have a problem with. I get why some people don’t like him or think he’s overrated. But he fits the definition of a HOF. He actually is a legend and he just had so many big plays and hits. He deserves it.

Of all the juicers I would still put bonds in because he was a HOF before the juice. After the juice he basically became a science experiment. But I do get why he’s not in

But if you are going to put in bagwell. Then you might as well throw in all the steroid boys

Verified Member

Wow, 'Stache is on fire tonight.

Take a look at the ballot in which Aaron was NOT a unanimous choice, and keep in mind that only 10 votes are allowed and once a player does not receive a certain percentage of votes he is not on the ballot for the next year.

So, basically a few writers left Aaron off their ballot not because they thought he wasn't worthy, or that they were racists, but because they knew he'd get in anyway and decided to use their 10 votes for other guys to give them a chance to stay on the ballot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting

Derek jeter is one of the few guys I don’t have a problem with. I get why some people don’t like him or think he’s overrated. But he fits the definition of a HOF. He actually is a legend and he just had so many big plays and hits. He deserves it.

Of all the juicers I would still put bonds in because he was a HOF before the juice. After the juice he basically became a science experiment. But I do get why he’s not in

But if you are going to put in bagwell. Then you might as well throw in all the steroid boys

Oh, I have no problem with Jeter. I respect him tremendously. And now that he's retired, and I have had the chance to look at his entire career, on the field, and off-how he carried himself, and continues to represent the Yankees franchise with class-I can honestly say I love the guy. I wish like hell he'd been a Brewer. In fact, I've got one of his McFarlane figures on top of my movie collection. It's one of the first things I see every day, right next to a Gretzky and Peyton Manning.

And he's a worthy first ballot guy. I'm not meaning to imply anything negative about him. But I just want some sanity to be restored in baseball. There's a difference between being a clear cut first ballot Hall of Famer, and getting in on 100% of the ballot. He is a great. He had a fantastic team around him, and the Yankees won those rings during Jeter's time as a team. But there's no denying that he thrived, playing a huge role in their winning. He played at a very high level in New York, as a friggin' Yankee. Yankees fans demand a level of excellence. A lot of other guys might have wilted in that spotlight. Jeter was unphased.

But I just can't put him in that very top tier of players. Is he on par with guys like Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr, or Mike Schmidt? Guys that were absolutely dominant both offensively and defensively? No.

Archived