Brewer Fanatic

Daniel Hudson

What about Daniel Hudson? Has the lower profile similar to the moves Stearns makes. Hudson is on a one year 1.5 million dollar deal with the Blue Jays. 9K per 9. 2:1 K:BB ratio. His homer per 9 ratio of 1.1 is better than any Brewer reliever outside Jeffress. Hudson is definitely available and in terms of prospect capital would not require a significant return

Hudson pitches in the AL east. A couple really good teams, and basically all hitters parks. Hudson could be on the move, but if he is my guess is the cost would be minimal. I think he'd be a bit better than Guerra but certainly not the high leverage relievers we're looking for.

I just don’t see the Brewers giving up the prospects likely necessary to land the high leverage relievers like Will Smith, Sam Dyson, Ken Giles etc.

Swarzak cost Ryan Cordell

Soria cost Medeiros.

Neither of whom were amongst the better Brewer minor league players. They picked up Lyles on a waiver claim, and I had never heard of Xavier Cedeno when the Brewers acquired him despite living in Chicago.

I think given how the team has played played the likely strategy will be to acquire players with an eye towards improving the rotation and bullpen by replacing the pitchers who have really struggled, as opposed to paying the high cost in talent to acquire front of the rotation starting pitching or late inning relievers.

I just don’t see the Brewers giving up the prospects likely necessary to land the high leverage relievers like Will Smith, Sam Dyson, Ken Giles etc.

Swarzak cost Ryan Cordell

Soria cost Medeiros.

Neither of whom were amongst the better Brewer minor league players. They picked up Lyles on a waiver claim, and I had never heard of Xavier Cedeno when the Brewers acquired him despite living in Chicago.

I think given how the team has played played the likely strategy will be to acquire players with an eye towards improving the rotation and bullpen by replacing the pitchers who have really struggled, as opposed to paying the high cost in talent to acquire front of the rotation starting pitching or late inning relievers.

This sheds some light on why the Brewers are connected to so many names on the trade market each year. It's because Stearns makes so many inquiries on the price to acquire available pieces. He finds out who would require his top chips (Grisham, Turang, etc) and who he can get with lesser chips. Only via making so many inquiries can you uncover the deals to be had with pieces they can live parting with and get a veteran who can help now. That's not to say he'd never part with the top guys, but the return has to be someone who can help beyond this year. This definitely feels like a year where only a veteran reliever or two on the last year of their deals will be acquired for someone like Tyrone Taylor or Lucas Erceg.

4.47 FIP and 5.51 xFIP

He is basically a worst version of Guerra

B-R has him with a 1.1 WAR. B-R has Guerra at 0.2 and Albers at 0.1. He's definitely an upgrade over Albers. If you get him as the 2nd acquisition along with Smith, that's the kind of depth they need.

4.47 FIP and 5.51 xFIP

B-R has him with a 1.1 WAR. B-R has Guerra at 0.2 and Albers at 0.1. He's definitely an upgrade over Albers. If you get him as the 2nd acquisition along with Smith, that's the kind of depth they need.

i think getting a really good RH relief option is critical. Ideally a RH reliever that isn't specifically dominant against RH hitters. We have Hader from the left, I think we need someone from the right. Not saying Hudson is that guy, because he isn't...moreso noting that Smith might not be the best target for that reason as well. Better to grab someone like Colome or Giles.

4.47 FIP and 5.51 xFIP

rWAR is based entirely on RA/9, the whole reason for using FIP is that over the small sample sizes that 60% of a relievers season is, is that FIP is much, much better at assessing what they will do going forward. Hudson has the same FIP as he did for the last two years, when he posted 4.4 and 4.1 ERAs. So he's basically the same player as he was then, but getting better results. It could be real, but it's not very likely. When a change in ERA is not accompanied by any change in K, BB, HR, WHIP or anything else besides ERA you should be skeptical until it has held for basically hundreds of innings.

This is the entire point. Daniel Hudson isn’t a relief ace but based on numbers this year he’d be one the best relief pitchers on the Brewers not named Hader. And this is the important part: for a team on the fence between buying and selling and a GM demanding internal improvement; these are the low risk type of moves the team should be looking for incremental improvement from outside the organization

2019 FIP 4.48. Guerra (who has pitched the most out of the pen) 4.91, Claudio who has the most appearances 5.09. Only Houser and Hader strike out more per 9. Hudson allows fewer homers per 9 than all but Jeffrey’s

Without a lot of top end minor leaguers in 2019, it will likely take some "luck" for the Brewers to compete and maybe a "value trade" or two. Maybe Nelson comes up and takes Chacin's spot when healthy and the Brewers send an "okay" prospect or two (maybe player(s) they are not planning to add to the 40-man this summer) for Freddy Galvis and Daniel Hudson taking Jackson and Arcia's spots. Galvis should come cheap as he is just a placeholder for Bo Bichette and Hudson is a pure rental with little consistent track record.

Archived