Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-19: Brewers (Chacín) at Diamondbacks (Clarke) 8:40 PM CDT

Eye Black

So we know a guy who's a career 3.07 MiLB pitcher is a bum.

But we want to pitch a guy who is a career 3.12 MiLB pitcher who has never seen above AA?

Seems strange to me. Maybe give a guy who is doing something well a chance to do that something?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers need to just win. Put the Cubs out of mind. They would have to go on a pretty sick tear to win the division regardless. There is no sense worrying about them. Shoot for 87-88 and you're probably a wild card. If better than that you may catch them. They come into town next week anyway.

What the heck? Their only 2-3 games from being in first, so, a sick tear and we’d run away with it.

5 games back of the Cubbies last Sept 18th!

But we want to pitch a guy who is a career 3.12 MiLB pitcher who has never seen above AA?

Seems strange to me. Maybe give a guy who is doing something well a chance to do that something?

Why not? ERA is a small part of what they would be looking at. Do they think he's ready to be thrown into a pennant race? Does he have the stuff to get LH hitters out at the MLB level? Many, many things to consider. But sometimes in spirts you need to make a bold move. I would be fine with giving Supak a start and see what happens.

Supak will hit the innings wall. Not sure how much that helps things.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Gotta suck to work your way to the majors and completely blow your opportunity. So long, farewell, Mr. Jackson.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why not? ERA is a small part of what they would be looking at. Do they think he's ready to be thrown into a pennant race? Does he have the stuff to get LH hitters out at the MLB level? Many, many things to consider. But sometimes in spirts you need to make a bold move. I would be fine with giving Supak a start and see what happens.

In baseball it seems like 50% of players on an MLB roster are not "good enough" to be there. 25% who got the opportunity and proved enough to deserve the spot. 25% who just got the opportunity for whatever reason. Ceiling, need, nepotism whatever the reason.

I don't argue with the need to do something but you have a guy who has done EVERYTHING he could possibly do to get a shot and you're never going to give him a crack and that opportunity. I find that infuriating and naive. You know he won't work? You used him wrong so that proves it won't work? You know he's not one of the 25% who isn't good enough to be there but will slug his way to deserving a seat?

It bothers me in baseball... it bothers me when team PAY for these jags (just a guy) in football instead of waiting for the ones who fall through the cracks who are every bit the equal on the vet min, instead of paid for insert dumb reason.

Wilkerson is a starter. I don't want to see him in the pen ever again. If you aren't going to give him a chance to start, stop wasting a 40 man roster spot on him. Jumping him for Supak is absurd. If that's what you want to do... cut him.

Supak will hit the innings wall. Not sure how much that helps things.

137 innings last year, so limit probably 160 or so. Only 117 this year so far, could get like 8 starts out of him yet.

It feels like they have babied his process so far. Has had solid stats since we traded for him but hasn’t made it to AAA yet and he’s been in the minors for a bit. Just seems odd.

In baseball it seems like 50% of players on an MLB roster are not "good enough" to be there. 25% who got the opportunity and proved enough to deserve the spot. 25% who just got the opportunity for whatever reason. Ceiling, need, nepotism whatever the reason.

I don't argue with the need to do something but you have a guy who has done EVERYTHING he could possibly do to get a shot and you're never going to give him a crack and that opportunity. I find that infuriating and naive. You know he won't work? You used him wrong so that proves it won't work? You know he's not one of the 25% who isn't good enough to be there but will slug his way to deserving a seat?

It bothers me in baseball... it bothers me when team PAY for these jags (just a guy) in football instead of waiting for the ones who fall through the cracks who are every bit the equal on the vet min, instead of paid for insert dumb reason.

Wilkerson is a starter. I don't want to see him in the pen ever again. If you aren't going to give him a chance to start, stop wasting a 40 man roster spot on him. Jumping him for Supak is absurd. If that's what you want to do... cut him.

Not opposed to Wilkerson either. I just put zero thought into "it's his turn." There are no turns. If they believe Supak is more likely to give you 5 solid innings, put him on the bump. I really don't care which, as long as it's not Chacin.

Part of my problem with the whole Wilkerson thing is that we already screwed up by moving Houser out of the pen and into the rotation. He was our 2nd best reliever in the pen and was just another ho hum starters. I'd rather have a good pen piece and a ho hum starter than lose a good pen piece and make him a ho hum starter.

I don't expect Wilkerson to be good... but if he can be passable 4-4.5 ERA having Houser in the pen would make the team better instead of the double negative.

This whole seasons been plagued by stuff like that. Sticking with Shaw, sticking with Cain in the 1 hole, revolving pitchers in the last 2 spots and never letting a guy stay where they are having success. It's been a frustrating year.

CC seemed like he could do no wrong for long stretches of last year. This year seems like he's making up for that to regress to the norm.

Part of my problem with the whole Wilkerson thing is that we already screwed up by moving Houser out of the pen and into the rotation. He was our 2nd best reliever in the pen and was just another ho hum starters. I'd rather have a good pen piece and a ho hum starter than lose a good pen piece and make him a ho hum starter.

I don't expect Wilkerson to be good... but if he can be passable 4-4.5 ERA having Houser in the pen would make the team better instead of the double negative.

This whole seasons been plagued by stuff like that. Sticking with Shaw, sticking with Cain in the 1 hole, revolving pitchers in the last 2 spots and never letting a guy stay where they are having success. It's been a frustrating year.

CC seemed like he could do no wrong for long stretches of last year. This year seems like he's making up for that to regress to the norm.

Agree with some of that, but Houser has always been a starter too. You want Wilkerson to get a chance, why not Houser? But.....yea....that and many other things haven't worked this year.

Stearns > D+

CC, March/April > A

CC, since then > F

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stearns > D+

CC, March/April > A

CC, since then > F

LOL

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Agree with some of that, but Houser has always been a starter too. You want Wilkerson to get a chance, why not Houser? But.....yea....that and many other things haven't worked this year.

I see your point but there is a difference.

The difference is that Houser came up when the team really needed a pen arm. He was lights out. Then they needed a starter... but its not like they were suddenly fine in the pen. Simplest solution is to keep him in the pen and put in a different starter who is stretched out.

He equally deserves the chance... but why mess with something that's working?

Archived