Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-19: Brewers (Chacín) at Diamondbacks (Clarke) 8:40 PM CDT

Eye Black
I don’t like Stearns strategy right now. He said he wants to see how the next two weeks play out before he makes a decision on moves...you can’t win games when your good relievers only pitch when you’re ahead and when you’re behind you give it over to awful arms.

Yes I get we have a shortage of quality arms..that’s why we uh, get some?

Oh, how I wish we still had Will Smith right now. Trading him for Phil Bickford (he of the 7.59 ERA at high A ball, right now) and Andrew Susac (who's in AAA....for the Royals) was a real head scratcher.

I remembered it seeming like a great deal at the time. We traded a relief pitcher, the least long-term type of player, from a team that was playing for a few years down the road. Susac was a guy thought to be a major-league ready potential catcher for the future, blocked in SF by Posey. Bickford was pre-suspension, pre-injuries, a recent first round pick with a good start to his professional career. Hard to believe at the time that Susac had already peaked and Bickford would actually regress over three years.

Here's the initial reaction thread. Near euphoric on the return: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=34398

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don’t like Stearns strategy right now. He said he wants to see how the next two weeks play out before he makes a decision on moves...you can’t win games when your good relievers only pitch when you’re ahead and when you’re behind you give it over to awful arms.

Oh, how I wish we still had Will Smith right now. Trading him for Phil Bickford (he of the 7.59 ERA at high A ball, right now) and Andrew Susac (who's in AAA....for the Royals) was a real head scratcher.

What? Obvously we'd love to have it back now, but this is total benefit of hindsight. At the time we were in a full tear down rebuild, about to trade Lucroy. Bickford was a recent 1st round pick and top 60 overall prospect, and Susac was still considered a decent prospect and a former top 100.

At the time it was considered to be a fantastic return and you'd be hard pressed to find a single individual if you dug up that thread that wasn't thrilled with it.

Community Moderator

What? Obvously we'd love to have it back now, but this is total benefit of hindsight. At the time we were in a full tear down rebuild, about to trade Lucroy. Bickford was a recent 1st round pick and top 60 overall prospect, and Susac was still considered a decent prospect and a former top 100.

At the time it was considered to be a fantastic return and you'd be hard pressed to find a single individual if you dug up that thread that wasn't thrilled with it.

Not to mention that at the time Will Smith had missed part of the season after tearing the LCL in his right knee taking off his cleats in Spring Training. The following year it looked like the Brewers were the ones that had gotten the better end of the deal when he missed the entire 2017 season following Tommy John surgery.

It didn’t work out, but at the time it was a fine bet to make.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We lost power up here in Green Bay right after Cain's HR and it didn't come back on until 3 am so if I had to miss part of a game last night was the one.

I hope we can get a good starter and reliever before the trade deadline. I don't think things are so bleak we to have to have a fire sale and start over.

Would love to see the Stache’s reaction to the trade...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived