Brewer Fanatic

Brewers showing interest in Robbie Ray [Old Title, Concept Revisited]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would signing MadBum make Ray available?

There was a report about 10 days ago that the Diamondbacks put Ray on the market and the asking price had come down to reasonable levels. Who knows what happened? Maybe the Diamondbacks approached Ray with a contract extension and he declined, so now they are willing to put him on the market and take a full year of return instead of the two month's return that they would get for him if they waited until the end of July.

Or else they figured they would win the Bumgarner bidding which might make Ray a spare piece in their eyes.

Bumgarner is their #1. Leake never misses a start so he's a reliable back-of-the-rotation piece. Weaver was pitching at the end of last year and looking good, not crazy to think that they would consider him their #2 (most would probably agree that he'll be better than Bumgarner if healthy). They made the Zac Gallen trade which was a fairly significant move that went under the radar, he pitched to a 2.81 ERA/3.61 FIP last year so he has the makings of a solid #3. So Bumgarner/Weaver/Gallen/Leake and then they would have Merrill Kelly (32 starts, 4.42 ERA/4.51 FIP) and Alex Young (15 starts, 3.56 ERA/4.81 FIP) to compete for the last spot, the loser of that still is a pretty decent insurance policy. Former top prospect Jon Duplantier is probably viewed as another insurance policy. They have enough depth to make this move.

Why would signing MadBum make Ray available?

I don't think the two are linked. But I've read reports of him being available. Also it's generally similar to them trading Goldschmidt with 1 year left to get some value for a FA to be.

Stearns made it sound like he's probably not adding anymore SP, which seems insane to me. I think the only way we win the division is with a Peralta/Burnes/Brown breakout campaign...at least one of those 3 needs to be 1b to Woodruff...and that's not likely.

Archived