Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-16: Braves (Wilson) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers win, 13-1 -- It Was A Good Day; Woodruff looks great; Yelich hits first Brewers’ Grand Slam of the season]

Eye Black
  • Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another friggin bomb for Grisham.......man is he smoking

Is the Grisham resurrection the most surprising thing to happen this year outside of the Burnes implosion?

To me...not really. The talent has always been there. He was a 1st round pick, he's always had the pedigree, he's always been young for his level.

Hiura is about a game or two from losing prospect status. To me Grisham is our new #1 prospect.

What is he doing now that he wasn't doing before? What changes did he make that would result in his current performance. If there are tangible answers to those questions then I would say he's for real. If not, then I'm skeptical.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone know how Gresham profiles in the field? I'm assuming he can handle left field pretty well?

He's been playing CF most of the time this year, but if I remember right, his arm isn't great out there, and he profiles more as a LF, should the bat support it. I imagine he has a capability of playing CF the same way Yelich does ... i.e. sure, it's fine in a pinch, but probably not a great permanent solution.

Anyone know how Gresham profiles in the field? I'm assuming he can handle left field pretty well?

He can play a corner OF spot respectably, particularly in left - I think he's played quite a bit of CF in the minors but doesn't profile there as an everyday option. I doubt he has the arm strength to be considered a prototypical RF, however he could play it if it necessary to keep his bat in the lineup after we trade Yelich for pitching prospects and call him up before Aug 31 for playoff roster eligibility...

Community Moderator
Another friggin bomb for Grisham.......man is he smoking

Is the Grisham resurrection the most surprising thing to happen this year outside of the Burnes implosion?

To me...not really. The talent has always been there. He was a 1st round pick, he's always had the pedigree, he's always been young for his level.

Hiura is about a game or two from losing prospect status. To me Grisham is our new #1 prospect.

I’ll give you credit, I had begun to write off Grisham. I certainly didn’t see the power surge coming this season. I hope he can play adequate defense in the corners with an occasional fill-in as a center fielder in the majors.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I didn't see the power surge coming either, believe me. I've just always liked high OBP guys and to me Grisham's young age was often overlooked.

It comes at a very key point in his career with the Brewers, too - I believe he's going to need to be added to the 40 man this offseason if they want to keep him around. He's been young, IIRC he was even young for a high school draftee.

Jackson has been a Godsend to last two times out. 4 great innings drama free. Keep him around.

Jackson's ERA went from 10.38 to 7.11 in 2 innings. Keep it up Jay!!

Maybe he figured it out. Hopefully. It would be nice to have a solid 7th 8th inning guy, my trust in Jefress isnt very high at the moment. Man he was so good last year...terrible in the NLCS and probably cost the brewers a world series trip. Man I cant get over how good his stuff was...and why it has regressed so much. He had superior movement in his stuff.

I think Knebels injury is often over looked. I think we would easily be in first place right now had he not gotten injured.

I really think this could be turnaround point for this team, this was a big win...but they must carry it over to tomorrow and win the series. Grandal talked about the frustration going on with this team and about his ejection, which I dont think he needed to apologize for, but it does show that players in this team wanna win. It's not like the early 2000s where we just put a team of random players together just to fill out a roster. This team wants to win. And the fans want it just as badly if not more.

If this game doesnt turn them around, I dont wanna say I will lose hope...but I dont know what else could turn them around if they cant propel forward and past the cubs off of this.

Wow, the Giants are really following the 2018 Pirates instruction manual on how to attain fake contender status before the trading deadline. They are going to end up keeping all those relievers, and MadBum, and probably trade for an OF to boot.

Put Bumgarner on a deserted island with a bunch of web cams tracking his every movement. I'd love to watch him lose his ____ on a daily basis. Biggest spaz in the Majors. Great pitcher, but I couldn't like him less, even if he were on the Cardinals.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Community Moderator
Wow, the Giants are really following the 2018 Pirates instruction manual on how to attain fake contender status before the trading deadline. They are going to end up keeping all those relievers, and MadBum, and probably trade for an OF to boot.

It’s hard to believe they have climbed back into the mix of teams with Wild Card aspirations. They’re now tied for third in the NL West (ahead of the Padres and tied with the Rockies) and only 2.0 GB of the Diamondbacks for second place.

The Mets have won three in a row. Pretty incredible that we are past mid-July and the only team in the National League with a winning percentage below the .450’s is the Miami Marlins. This would have been the type of year where an August waiver trade period would have come in handy for a lot of teams that will still be trying to assess their chances for playoff contention in two weeks.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Big win for the run differential aficionados!

Haha, I'm not a big believer in the whole run differential crap

It’s one of the better predictors of success and Win/Losses. There’s sometimes outliers, but usually by years end teams with positive RDs have winning records and teams with negative RDs have losing records,+/-.

Clancy, Gamel will not land us a decent prospect. Plus why trade a known commodity for someone that may struggle?

Sidenote, once again the Brewers cover the run line when Woodruff starts

Maybe this help them turn a corner?

This is probably going to be too pessimistic for certain posters on this board but I'm not going believe they have turned a corner until they can show that this pitching staff can go through the rotation a couple of times at an acceptable level of performance. I need to see the consistency with the pitching.

Say what you think. Don’t worry about this pessimistic optimistic crap that people are caught up in. It’s a load of nonsense. That’s what this board is for. People afraid to say what they honestly feel because they are worried about the fan police is boring.

Any debate predicated on optimism/pessimism is useless. I literally could care less about how good a fan someone is. I just care about what’s going on in the field and have some fun with it

Everyone on this board wants the brewers to win. Everyone.

I completely agree.

I really don’t get why people get so excited about this. I know a lot of sports fans and they come in all varieties. The people who follow the games every day, and in varying ways live and die with them, are great fans whether they choose to articulate their worst fears or greatest hopes.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If I'm the Brewers, I think about dealing Ben Gamel for prospects, and calling up Grisham.

I've liked the OBP skills. Can the bat play in MLB?

This doesn't make sense at all for this season or even next year - either Grisham gets traded for impact pitching this deadline or he gets added to the 40 man roster this offseason and has a shot at making the 2020 team. No point in bringing Grisham up at all unless the 40 man roster isn't full after the July 31 trade deadline. There are about 15 other roster moves/trades I'd want to see first to either improve the bullpen/rotation and overall roster depth on this team before trading away a really good 4th OF for a middling prospect.

Maybe this help them turn a corner?

This is probably going to be too pessimistic for certain posters on this board but I'm not going believe they have turned a corner until they can show that this pitching staff can go through the rotation a couple of times at an acceptable level of performance. I need to see the consistency with the pitching.

Reasonable response.

Over the last 14 days, 10 Brewer starts have resulted in 53 IP and 18 runs scored over 10 starts. If you subtract Houser, it's 43 IP and 9 runs over 8 starts. For me, that's acceptable.

Rock is so annoying. Total homer, glorifying Salidino's stretch. Cant wait till Mark or David goes into the booth for an inning, so we can hear Bill kiss butt.

There was an entire thread about Bill being bad, but not many agreed. I’ll take a homer any day.

If you want to listen to unabashed homers listen to a Pirate broadcast some time. :tongue

Archived