Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-15: Braves (Fried) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers lose, 4-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don’t get it. On the nights they get adequate pitching they can’t generate consistent offense. Then they score 7 runs the next night and the pitching staff gives up 10

Pretty much the definition of a middling team that's in an extended rut - they don't do anything extremely well with any consistency, so they can't count on anything working for them every game. That's a frustrating place to be as a team.

They were fine in April and May though, and then just like that, everything went to hell. It's unusual, usually you see it happen to one or the other...either the Pitching goes, or the hitting goes, not usually both at the same time. I mean what changed once June came?? They were 10 games over...everything wasn't perfect, but they were working enough to get them 10 games over.

The W-L was fine in April and May but plenty of people were sounding alarms. People always sound alarms but even then I think there were legitimate concerns. The pitching was suspect, the differential was never very good and they were winning one run games at an unsustainable clip. If you were optimistic you thought the staff would sort itself out and be good enough to be carried by a very good offense. Neither one happened.

I just don’t get it. On the nights they get adequate pitching they can’t generate consistent offense. Then they score 7 runs the next night and the pitching staff gives up 10

Pretty much the definition of a middling team that's in an extended rut - they don't do anything extremely well with any consistency, so they can't count on anything working for them every game. That's a frustrating place to be as a team.

They were fine in April and May though, and then just like that, everything went to hell. It's unusual, usually you see it happen to one or the other...either the Pitching goes, or the hitting goes, not usually both at the same time. I mean what changed once June came?? They were 10 games over...everything wasn't perfect, but they were working enough to get them 10 games over.

They really weren't. They had a little run during the early part of May but there were always sings this was coming.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Am I the only one that counts the number of hitters to get to Yelich, and then just give up and turn off the TV if I determine that odds are <20% that he'll get to the plate?

Nah, Hiura too. [sarcasm]They stagger them in the order to maximize TV ratings.[/sarcasm]

Aside from a 7-1 start that included a couple games the Brewers could have easily lost, they were basically a 0.500 team into early June and then proceeded to play 0.500 baseball against the easiest part of their schedule. Their play has actually regressed recently, and there is very little to remain optimistic about this team - they have talent but there are too many holes in key spots to expect an extended run of winning baseball.

Am I the only one that counts the number of hitters to get to Yelich, and then just give up and turn off the TV if I determine that odds are <20% that he'll get to the plate?

Nah, Hiura too. [sarcasm]They stagger them in the order to maximize TV ratings.[/sarcasm]

Yeah, but he leads off the inning, so at most he can only be good for one run when the Brewers are down by two.

At least I don't feel bad now. If Counsell put Burch Smith in the ballgame, then he's given up on it too.

Man, I really thought Stearns was going to be a stud GM that continued to find diamonds in the rough. Looking more and more like a horseshoe was stuck up his keister last year.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived