Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-14: Giants (Beede) at Brewers (Chacín) [Brewers lose, 8-3]

Eye Black
I am stunned at how frequently AAA results has absolutely zero bearing on major-league success, especially for our pitchers. And it goes both ways! Hader and Burnes had horrible numbers in AAA (granted, it was Colorado) and were good when called up. All these guys we shuffle back and forth from AAA have great numbers, and they all seem to blow chunks when they come up. It’s astounding.

Not Donnie Hart!

And now Jackson just lowered his ERA by like 4 whole runs! Who else can I reverse jinx?

Yelich and Hader have plateaued.

Braun and Cain are washed up.

Shaw and Burnes will only be AAAA players going forward.

Woodruff is a flash in the pan.

Nelson will never throw another pitch in the majors again.

Arica stinks on both sides of the ball.

Hiura will only make us miss Weeks even more.

Knebel will return next year and never regain any semblance of control, especially of his off-speed pitches.

Stearns will win a World Series with the Mets in the next 5 years.

We’ll fire Counsell in the next two years and he’ll win Jeter a championship in Miami.

Did I forget anyone?

Please get some COUNSELLing! This is depressing!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're dreaming if you think Chacin could clear waivers. A veteran SP who has shown ability to string together a lot of good baseball with decent big game experience. He's having a bad year, but there is no chance that would happen.

Ok, let's talk it out as a real life scenario.

We place Chacin on waivers. Any team claiming Jhoulys Chacin owes him over $3.25M for the rest of 2019. Chacin has a FIP near 6 and an ERA of 5.18, and a WHIP of 1.50 for the season.

Which contender is making that claim and picking up that tab? The sellers aren't going to, because that's just a waste of their money. Contenders are likely in the market for better options than that. Who is paying $3.25M for a 2 and a half month rental of that?

Every team in baseball isn't going to make a decision based on his 2019 stats. A team for whom $3 million is peanuts is going to see a chance to make a claim and give up nothing for a guy who at times has been a pretty good SP and has playoff experience.

I can't believe you're that serious about this. There is not a chance he'd clear waivers. I get everyone is upset how the season is going, but come on.

Really no need to condescend, I think you guys are overvaluing Chacin pretty significantly. He's not on the level of guys like Gio or Hamels that contenders could really hope for a rebound to an extremely high level of play, in my opinion, that make him a sure pickup.

Straight pickups off waivers are rare. Usually if a team does claim, they work something out to pick up some salary relief while sending the other something in return.

We don't have to agree, and that's ok. If we continue to falter we will probably find out soon enough exactly what he's worth.

Get Braun to take a front office role. Free up the cash.

Why would Braun take a front office role and cost himself several million dollars? :laughing

I don't expect he will. It would be awesome if he could self reflect and say I'm overpaid and I'm going to hang it up. Not likely but would help jumpstart the rebuild.

Get Braun to take a front office role. Free up the cash.

Why would Braun take a front office role and cost himself several million dollars? :laughing

I don't expect he will. It would be awesome if he could self reflect and say I'm overpaid and I'm going to hang it up. Not likely but would help jumpstart the rebuild.

He could also self reflect and realize how underpaid he was the first several years of his career.

I'm not overvaluing him and I was with you about him not being in the class with Grandal and Moose but SP doesn't grow on trees. In a trade I don't see him getting anything better than lottery tickets. But a guy that started a division championship game last year and served as the pseudo ace of the best record in the NL is not clearing waivers in July/August.

$3 million for his track record is basically free. Someone would take that chance. I wouldn't even be surprised if our buddies to the South did.

I’m glad I wasn’t home today to watch the Giants join the Marlins, Mariners, and Padres on the list of teams that have embarrassed the Brewers as they continue their descent to and below .500.

Because my daughter who lives in Florida wants to see one more Brewer game before she heads back I’m going to sacrifice my perfect record for the season tomorrow to see the Brewers whacked around by the first winning team they’ve played in over a month. Because I sold my tickets for a gamemin the Cubs series for 3 times face value I have a nice pot of cash to spend on food seats for tomorrow. By the time we go to another game in August there should be no pretense of this team being a playoff contender.

Um, good for you?

Sorry, just not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this post? Do you want all other posters to agree with you that the Brewers are done? Cause that may be coming, but I'm just not there yet.

Just venting. This is very quickly becoming the most disappointing season, based on performance vs realistic expectations, in my 50 years of following the Brewers.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anybody buying that Gio Gonzalez will change the trajectory of this team’s pitching?

Starters haven't been the problem. They've actually been getting pretty solid starting pitching the last couple weeks. The pen has been the Achilles heel.

That said, if Gio can come in and be Gio, it possibly moves Houser back to the pen, where he is sorely needed.

I’m glad I wasn’t home today to watch the Giants join the Marlins, Mariners, and Padres on the list of teams that have embarrassed the Brewers as they continue their descent to and below .500.

Because my daughter who lives in Florida wants to see one more Brewer game before she heads back I’m going to sacrifice my perfect record for the season tomorrow to see the Brewers whacked around by the first winning team they’ve played in over a month. Because I sold my tickets for a gamemin the Cubs series for 3 times face value I have a nice pot of cash to spend on food seats for tomorrow. By the time we go to another game in August there should be no pretense of this team being a playoff contender.

Um, good for you?

Sorry, just not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this post? Do you want all other posters to agree with you that the Brewers are done? Cause that may be coming, but I'm just not there yet.

Just venting. This is very quickly becoming the most disappointing season, based on performance vs realistic expectations, in my 50 years of following the Brewers.

I liked your vent!

I can't believe that anyone can watch this team and say "Yeah, just a decent arm or two here and we'll turn this right around."

This team is in trouble. Roster management has stunk, they aren't getting lucky, I suspect the coaching is poor, and they've been getting their lunch handed to them for 6 weeks now from the worst teams in the league.

It's entirely possible that last year was an aberration. If you had to bet your house, would anyone really take the over on 84 wins right now?

Anybody buying that Gio Gonzalez will change the trajectory of this team’s pitching?

He can’t hurt it, that much seems clear.

I hear ya’, but that is not much of a marketing slogan. :)

They can make banners for the walk up to the park:

*Gio’s Face* “Gio Gonzalez: He can’t hurt!”

He can’t hurt it, that much seems clear.

I hear ya’, but that is not much of a marketing slogan. :)

Well, "Maybe the rest of the division will continue to stink", has been our rallying cry for hanging onto hope the last month.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Um, good for you?

I get it. I'm frustrated too. I had huge expectations, and this is looking like an average team at best right now. They played well enough in April and May to make me think that this was another very good squad, but there's just been too many injuries and regression. I think they are good enough to stay in the chase, but that's only because the rest of the Central isn't very good.

Archived