Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-13: Giants (Bumgarner) at Brewers (Davies) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Blown save ties it, but Gamel walk-off hit wins it]

Eye Black
  • Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trout with his 30th home run. 8 RBI in the two games against Seattle, thus far. 75 on the year. From the #2 spot. Wow.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

JJ picks up the win!!!

And that's so wrong. He was terrible.

Especially terrible when your starter goes six innings with no earned runs. Unfortunate that the offense couldn't get in gear earlier.

We handed or supposedly second best reliever (and an all star last year) a two run lead in the ninth. The offense did it's job. The expectation cannot be that this team HAS to score five or six runs every night in order to win games. At some point this pitching staff has to hold leads consistently if this team is going anywhere.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Just got home from the game which miraculously brought my season record to 9-0.

You know a team is going bad when even the wins don’t make you feel that good. I was in a sour mood after the first hitter of the game when Aguilar went after the grounder for no good reason and opened the door for an unearned run. I don’t need to list all of the other aggravating things that happened as I’m sure they were raised as the game unfolded.

There have been articles this week about MLB having a home run problem because so much of the game is home runs and strikeouts. I don’t necessarily disagree, but as a fan who attends about 15 games a year and follows hundreds of others on TV, the length of games is a much bigger problem. A poorly played game like tonight’s going 4 hours for just 9 innings is not great entertainment.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Overmanaging by Counsell

This was one of my biggest beefs of the night. Why feel like you have to bring in Claudio to face a mediocre lefty who is going to be pinch hit for, leaving yourself with Claudio facing two righties? I would have taken my chances with Guerra facing the mediocre lefty.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Two blown saves in a row ... from two guys in Hader and Jeffress, that should be able to be trusted. I don't know who they can theoretically acquire for this pen, but if they don't do something soon, it won't matter.

Yes, I know what some of you are going to say. Right now it still matters.

Oh please. Leave Hader out of it. You cannot complain when the best reliver in all of baseball every once in awhile blows a save.

Two blown saves in a row ... from two guys in Hader and Jeffress, that should be able to be trusted. I don't know who they can theoretically acquire for this pen, but if they don't do something soon, it won't matter.

Oh please. Leave Hader out of it. You cannot complain when the best reliver in all of baseball every once in awhile blows a save.

Yes, even Hader is human. The rest of the bullpen is the problem.

It is somewhat concerning about the number/frequency of home runs that Hader is giving up. Potentially it could be from how they are using him this year, where he only plays like twice a week. Maybe he’s too rusty with that level of usage and one more outing per week may keep him more loose.

Verified Member

It is somewhat concerning about the number/frequency of home runs that Hader is giving up. Potentially it could be from how they are using him this year, where he only plays like twice a week. Maybe he’s too rusty with that level of usage and one more outing per week may keep him more loose.

Forget FB/HR ratio, Hader's HR:BIP ratio has to be among the worst of all-time (as so few balls are put in play against him).

I think the concerning thing is that Counsell bringing Hader in in the 8th inning of a 1 run game against the Giants says pretty clearly that Counsell has no confidence in anyone else in the bullpen to hold a lead. The bullpen was fresh after the break and the game was not against a playoff contending rival, and yet Counsell was unwilling to put in someone else in the setup role. Instead he puts in Hader when, at best if he closes out the game, he will probably be unavailable for the rest of the series.

The Brewers aren’t going to be able to put together the kind of winning run they need if they can only win a close game if Hader pitches two innings. And Counsell seems to think that’s the case.

I think the concerning thing is that Counsell bringing Hader in in the 8th inning of a 1 run game against the Giants says pretty clearly that Counsell has no confidence in anyone else in the bullpen to hold a lead. The bullpen was fresh after the break and the game was not against a playoff contending rival, and yet Counsell was unwilling to put in someone else in the setup role. Instead he puts in Hader when, at best if he closes out the game, he will probably be unavailable for the rest of the series.

The Brewers aren’t going to be able to put together the kind of winning run they need if they can only win a close game if Hader pitches two innings. And Counsell seems to think that’s the case.

That wasn't the first time Counsell brought in Hader in the 8th and then had to shut him down the rest of a series. If the only guy in the bullpen who is able to hold a lead is Hader then Stearns better get on the phone...

And he's right to think so.

Anyway it's nice to see this thread was longer than the one Friday night when we lost, but maybe only because this felt like a loss.

And he's right to think so.

Anyway it's nice to see this thread was longer than the one Friday night when we lost, but maybe only because this felt like a loss.

Ditto. It’s a crapshoot any time anybody outside of Hader comes in on relief this season.

Archived