Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Milkmen

patrickgpe

Has anyone been to a game yet? What were your opinions.

My brother went on Wednesday, which in theory should have drawn well, as its the slowest day of professional sports of the year, and they drew 881 fans. I know it was hot, but still.

I have stated this in many threads over the year, but Milwaukee is over saturated with sports and other entertainment options. The brewers draw so well, and almost every weekend is a festival at summerfest and a church festival, I don't see how there is another corporate sponsorship and fan support to go around. Plus most families spent money on a vacation every year. If families are their targeted demographic, its going to be a hard sell.

I want to get to a game this season to see the new park and see the fan experience, but concern is that Franklin may be stuck with a pretty cool stadium with no main tenant for reasons stated above.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
881 seems like a lot to me. a 4000 person stadium for an independent league team seems too big.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

881 seems like a lot to me. a 4000 person stadium for an independent league team seems too big.

Saint Paul Saints drew over 8,000 a game a season ago. Same league I believe.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
St Paul is kind of an outlier. I think they draw double the next most popular team. But looking at that league, most teams draw well over 3000. Didn't realize that.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

St Paul is kind of an outlier. I think they draw double the next most popular team. But looking at that league, most teams draw well over 3000. Didn't realize that.

Agree here. They're just a different animal. If anybody's ever been it's more like a minor league environment than an Indy league. I've never been to a Milkmen game and never will. Indy ball is trash. You're better off watching a Land O Lakes game for free

I can only speak from my experience from going to Lakeshore Chinooks games. The quality of the baseball is pretty good. Most of these players are real solid College players. College coaches don't want their pitchers pitching a lot, so they are on strict pitch counts dictated by the college coach. The play deteriorates by the time late July comes around. They have something like 40 games in 42 days, and the players are gassed. Some players leave early because they just want a break from playing baseball. They want to spend a couple weeks at home relaxing before going off to college again.

My kids play basketball all year round, so I'm spending way too much time watching youth athletic sports. When I go to a Chinooks game I'm there more for the social aspect. I spend time talking to people I might not have seen in quite a long time.

800-900 is a solid attendance figure without a bobblehead giveaway. The Chinooks have their guaranteed giveaway policy for full/partial season holders that make only 300 or so of the 1000 bobbles given away at the gate.

College coaches don't want their pitchers pitching a lot, so they are on strict pitch counts dictated by the college coach.

Yeah! If anyone is going to overwork these pitchers it's going to be the college coaches!

Agree here. They're just a different animal. If anybody's ever been it's more like a minor league environment than an Indy league. I've never been to a Milkmen game and never will. Indy ball is trash. You're better off watching a Land O Lakes game for free

Another pretty obnoxious post. It's a popular theme you've got going.

College coaches don't want their pitchers pitching a lot, so they are on strict pitch counts dictated by the college coach.

Yeah! If anyone is going to overwork these pitchers it's going to be the college coaches!

[sarcasm]It's a favor to the major league clubs. Get that pesky Tommy John out of the way before they get drafted.[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, managers who will let a pitcher throw 140 pitches and then come back in the tournament on short rest and go 110-120 are clowns. They seem to care deeply about their future earning potential.

At the big league level pitchers are allowed to throw 115 pitches or more 4.4 pct of their starts and 6.1 in the post-season.

In college that's 10.5 and then 21.2 pct for Sr's and 16.9 pct for Jr's.

There are some schools that are good about it. I'd be curious how Vandy is about it given all the elite pitching prospects they produce. I know UCLA is one of the worst while Florida and Florida State I believe are two of the best(though FSU despite constantly getting to the CWS, almost never produces any decent pitchers).

It's even worse in HS. My Freshmen year as a guy who seldom played, one of the games I did catch was a conference game vs a bad team. Our coach let our pitcher throw 169 pitches in what ended up a 9 inning game we won 1-0. The guy wasn't a big time recruit, but he was getting interest from division one schools like Indiana, UWM, and a few others. Ended up going to Cincinnati, hurt his arm as a Freshmen(never heard what exactly) but he never threw again.

Archived