Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-12: Giants (Anderson) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 10-7 in 10 innings -- Bullpen woes continue to start the 2nd half]

Eye Black
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope one of two things happens in the next 2 weeks.

Either they go on a big winning streak or they lose just about every game and become sellers.

Either way there's a chance to get something from the season

This is a reasonable take. The worst thing they can do is be the Pirates from last year, kind of in it and enticed to give up some of what they have left to plug holes in a boat that is beyond repair. Of course the Pirates tried to plug their boat the stupidest way possible last year, so the bar is set pretty low.

I really want to be sellers. Stearns wouldn't do it, and even if he wanted to, Attanasio would overrule him.

There is ZERO chance in hell they could get the fans to be okay with that.. This is on DS..all on him..this team had problems awhile ago and instead of going out, being aggressive and getting someone, he just keeps thinking the players on the team will improve. This is what he gets...he has to own this. Period.

I think just about every fan on here besides you would be ok with it. They simply aren't good enough.

This board does not represent the fanbase though...plenty of fans that don't post on this board I can guarantee you wouldn't be happy about it...in fact, they'd be furious;

I mentioned this in the preseason thread on the "off chance" we were bad this year. But it has to be asked. At what point is Yelich for sale? If we're bad, we're bad, and the dude is not gonna re-sign here. That's the kind of chip that you can really re-stock with. A couple years of control as opposed to a rental. I'm not saying we're at that point yet, but let's say we're 10 games under, or at the winter meetings with a team that finished with 75 wins. He's on the table, right?

I really want to be sellers. Stearns wouldn't do it, and even if he wanted to, Attanasio would overrule him.

There is ZERO chance in hell they could get the fans to be okay with that.. This is on DS..all on him..this team had problems awhile ago and instead of going out, being aggressive and getting someone, he just keeps thinking the players on the team will improve. This is what he gets...he has to own this. Period.

I think just about every fan on here besides you would be ok with it. They simply aren't good enough.

This board does not represent the fanbase though...plenty of fans that don't post on this board I can guarantee you wouldn't be happy about it...in fact, they'd be furious;

As furious as the players threatening to go on strike in 2021 because of the lack of competitive balance?

I keep waiting for the tide to turn in the right direction, but with each game that goes by it seems increasingly less likely this team is going to find the same lightning in a bottle it possessed at the end of last year. With David Stearns repeatedly saying, “the answers must come from within”, I do believe he actually means it, but I just don’t think there are internal options that’ll make some miraculous season saving surge.

I obviously hope that sense is wrong, and I hope they surpass the Cubs and the rest of the NL Central to win it all. I’m just not betting on it at this point.

It pains me to say it because I’ve watched more Brewers baseball this season than I care to admit. I’ve continued to believe this team was going to be special, but if the team continues to sputter over the next couple of weeks I hope they seriously contemplate trading Moose and Grandal. I think they would need to lose something like 10 out of their next 15 to actually do it, but I’m to the point that I would rather they are realistic about where they’re at near the end of July rather than hold on to a fleeting hope of making the playoffs into August.

This is pretty much me as well. I really thought today was going to be different. The huira double to score Thames, 3 runs right away to retake the lead, scoring yelich from third with less than 2 outs to tie it in the 9th! Today was going to be the start, but then the bullpen had to pitch and its same old same old.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Brewcrewin07, I honestly don't know what you are looking for them to do. They are not one big trade away from contention. Stearns cannot wave a magic wand and fix every problem on this team. They could trade every useful prospect and still wouldn't have nearly as good of a team as the Dodgers. They cannot add much for payroll. They simply aren't in a great position to contend.

Brewcrewin07, I honestly don't know what you are looking for them to do. They are not one big trade away from contention. Stearns cannot wave a magic wand and fix every problem on this team. They could trade every useful prospect and still wouldn't have nearly as good of a team as the Dodgers. They cannot add much for payroll. They simply aren't in a great position to contend.

This puts it well. They counted on a lot of players to be better than they have been (and have been far worse than last year), and they put up a good fight before the wheels have come off. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Accept, regroup, reload.

Kept banking on improvement from the current players..it doesn't take a genius(which I have heard him called) to figure out that wasn't going to happen and they needed help...as much as it took to right the ship.

Or maybe, just maybe, he's a better talent evaluator than you are in your living room and realized that they didn't have the horses to win regardless of what minor crap deals they might have been able to pull off last week?

This is what I think. When you have weaknesses in all phases of the game you aren’t going to fix them with just one or two deals.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Games like this really make you understand how important Knebel was to this team.

He was but there is just so much going wrong this year. Like everything besides Yelich and Moose. It's honestly a bit shocking they are still above .500. It feels like they should be a lot worse than that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This team is not that bad. Its been a second half team the last 2 years, a pen arm or two acquired at the deadline, a couple of call-ups, and we’re in business.

They're running out of time to find that recipe, tough. Can it happen? Sure. But a team with the line-up talent this team has should be better than it has been. They took a lot of chances on the pitching staff, and for the most part those haven't worked out.

Archived