Brewer Fanatic

in or out (playoffs)

Bulldogboy
Ok we are all in agreement that we want the brewers to make the playoffs. That said knowing what we know from the first half I think there is a huge disagreement on if they are going to be in or out. I would be interested in taking the temp on if people think they will end up in or out and why. I for one believe they will finish out. In my opinion the pitching is even worse than feared. Sure Stearns will make a move or two but they don't have enough to grab an impact starter. The bullpen needs three arms and they have limited currency to deal. The division is deeper than thought and I don't think a wildcard comes out of the central. It's division or bust and don't think they get it done unfortunately. Anyone else??

I'd put my money on out as well. I'd probably call it about a coin flip that could go either way and there's clearly a good chance they make some moves, people improve, etc to make it happen. Then once you're in anything can happen. But if I had to bet on it today I'd pick out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think this team has a couple big runs in them and are squarely still in. I mean any team that is a 1/2 game out of 1st place is obviously still in it. Once in the playoffs, any team can get hot and go on a run.

I think a couple solid pen arm acquisitions and perhaps another starter would go a long way toward making them a top contender. Getting the holes in the line-up sorted out will be a huge key to second half success. If Aguilar can continue to capitalize off his better hitting going into the break, and if they can get Cain going, it would be huge. Having a potentially lethal bat in Shaw sitting at AAA could also factor in positively. If they are going to acquire anything on offense, I'd like it to be a right-handed utility guy who can offer decent at-bats and serve as a part-time table setter against tough lefty pitching.

In. Coin flip on the division but I think WC for sure. I see Aguilar getting back to the solid player he is, Hiura taking his game to another level, the rotation stabilizing and the pen being improved. I also think Cain becomes more consistent playing with the injury. I think Shaw comes in handy down the stretch too.

Out. It happens. They wanted to be sustainably competitive, and I would rather have a sort of dud year like this where they're ok, but interesting, if it means they're going to continue giving me hope every year. I don't really like the every 8 years then fire sale thing. Too much went wrong. Bad SP, and too much regression on offense. If they come out of the gates playing poorly it may be time to think about getting some lottery tickets for Grandal.

Yeah, a coin flip. I'll say 51% out.

There are players that could or should get better, but there are a couple of players that could come down to earth a little.

Plus if you get an injury to Yelich, Woodruff, or Hader - I don't see the team having a chance.

The longer the tight division goes, the less the chance of anyone getting a wildcard spot from the division - so you are inviting someone to go on a torrid hot streak and then you are not making the playoffs.

I feel like the Brewers will do well right out of the gate and stay competitive, and will probably make the playoffs. All the guys know they have to start out well or risk Stearns punting on the season and trading guys away. I think that sense of urgency will be a good thing. Also, I'm expecting Cain to start out hot with the time off. We need that 1-2 combo back where they open the game with 2 guys on, no outs, and Braun(or whoever is 3rd) up to bat with the SP having thrown 15 pitches already. That start to the game was very common a large part of our success last year.

I think this team has a couple big runs in them and are squarely still in. I mean any team that is a 1/2 game out of 1st place is obviously still in it. Once in the playoffs, any team can get hot and go on a run.

I think a couple solid pen arm acquisitions and perhaps another starter would go a long way toward making them a top contender. Getting the holes in the line-up sorted out will be a huge key to second half success. If Aguilar can continue to capitalize off his better hitting going into the break, and if they can get Cain going, it would be huge. Having a potentially lethal bat in Shaw sitting at AAA could also factor in positively. If they are going to acquire anything on offense, I'd like it to be a right-handed utility guy who can offer decent at-bats and serve as a part-time table setter against tough lefty pitching.

Having both Shaw and Perez in AAA is something no one would have guessed possible. They both may be trade bait to make something happen on the pitching front. It's been a wild first half for sure.

I don't see Shaw going anywhere. Who didn't want Albers off the team last year? He's been a big part of the team this season. Shaw has played too well for prolonged periods for a team like the Brewers to lose. At his salary I'll be pretty surprised if they don't give him a fresh start next year with Moose almost definitely gone. But I don't want to take this too far off the rails.

I say "In" since even at our worst, the Cubs haven't been able to pull away. The Brewers are still the only team in the NL Central with an intra-division record over .500 ...and that's after a week of dropping series to the Reds and Pirates.

With Keston playing almost every day in the second half, and Cain likely to rebound after a disappointing first half, I think the offense will be better. If the starting pitching holds up, they should still be a playoff team.

In as division champs and ultimate world series champs

ALL IN BABY

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't see Shaw going anywhere. Who didn't want Albers off the team last year? He's been a big part of the team this season. Shaw has played too well for prolonged periods for a team like the Brewers to lose. At his salary I'll be pretty surprised if they don't give him a fresh start next year with Moose almost definitely gone. But I don't want to take this too far off the rails.

I'll guess everybody that knew he was very good before he came here then watched him pitch great until his injury, an injury he clearly wasn't fully recovered from in August when he came back and got rocked. It's no different than Davies except Davies had injury issues in April that affected him all season. Once those dudes were fully healthy they were going to perform again, plus they're both cheap, so not sure why this is surprising to anyone. Shaw is too good and cheap to give up on. I see him starting at 3b next year or replacing Thames (option year) if we resign Moose. All these dudes will contribute in the 2nd half and/or down the stretch.

In. Teams that race out to a good first half tend to fade. Teams that are good, particularly one with a lot of veterans, but tread water for the first half tend to pick it up in the second half. The Brewers are a good team, they will pick things up in the second half.

Verified Member
In. Teams that race out to a good first half tend to fade. Teams that are good, particularly one with a lot of veterans, but tread water for the first half tend to pick it up in the second half. The Brewers are a good team, they will pick things up in the second half.

This is true. Cain, Moustakas, Grandal and Braun are very experienced postseason players. The fact that Braun and Grandal haven't hoisted the trophy yet only makes them that much more focused on the prize.

I say out. Too many holes in all phases and I don’t expect significant moves to fill them.

I also think it’s win the division or nothing. The Central doesn’t have weak teams to help pile up wins, so I think the Phillies, Nationals (who are nothing like the team the Brewers played in May), and Rockies have the edge there.

During the break I have been thinking that, unless the Brewers can stop the slide they have been on, this is shaping up as possibly the most disappointing season in their 50 year history. I thought coming into the season they had enough to win the 90 games it usually takes to make the playoffs. Now it looks like 90 wins is unobtainable and the playoff chances are hinging on having a division race where nobody pulls away and 85-86 wins takes it.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I say out. But its close enough to be challenged in replay.

They definitely are playing like a non playoff team which says they are out, but their regional proximity to other bad teams says they still have a chance

At some point, I expect the Cubs to go on a big win streak...Maybe win 10 of 12 or something like that. If that happens and we continue to flounder, I can't see us making it.

We have shown no ability to win a bunch of games in a short stretch of time since, well, since forever it seems...

I'm just not believing that the Cubs will be held down like the first half, and I think we blew our chance for a big lead in the division by playing so pathetically while they were playing the same.

Also, yes, we hope to make some moves to change our direction, but don't think the Cubs aren't thinking the same exact thing. They won't stand pat, no way, no how. They are going to make a move or two as well.

I am hoping we end up in, but in my gut, I feel we are out.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'll say in, Division Champs in what turns out to be a really weak division. Only thing that derails them is if Yelich has an injury that puts him on the shelf for 1+ month. Cubs will hit but their pitching fades down the stretch. Hard to put my finger on what's wrong with the Cardinals...when watching them last year they just seemed to be missing something, and this year it appears the same which is surprising because I figured Goldschmidt would have fixed that. I don't believe in Pittsburgh or Cincinnati at all, if one of those teams wins the division then it needs to be defined as something worse than a weak division.

I'm not necessarily sold on Milwaukee, but I am not sold on anybody else either. Cardinals are probably the biggest threat if they can get Goldschmidt going. For some reason I think the Cubs fortune hinges on Darvish and I'm not sure if that's good or bad for Chicago. I've still seen him flash some electric stuff, but his fastball location just sucks and, in my limited viewing, seems to really have messed up his pitch sequencing/selection.

Archived