Brewer Fanatic

Mets and Brewers talking Thor?

After watching this team tonight...I hold my ground on any trade. This team is not good. One pitcher does not solve their problems. Their problem is systemic and cannot be solved by a trade for one starting pitcher. An increase in one SP is not the difference between World Series contention and also ran. Hold the prospects and reset in the offseason. This team should sell the pieces that can keep open their small market window. Looking at you Moustakas and Grandal.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
After watching this team tonight...I hold my ground on any trade. This team is not good. One pitcher does not solve their problems. Their problem is systemic and cannot be solved by a trade for one starting pitcher. An increase in one SP is not the difference between World Series contention and also ran. Hold the prospects and reset in the offseason. This team should sell the pieces that can keep open their small market window. Looking at you Moustakas and Grandal.

7 runs is going to get you a win 9 times out of 10. The bullpen was crap tonight, and that's why they lost.

Trading for a starter and a pen arm or two isn't going to solve every problem, but it would sure as heck makes this team more competitive. The offense is streaky, but playoff worthy. Pitching is holding them back ... specifically another good starter and the back end of the pen.

7 runs is going to get you a win 9 times out of 10. The bullpen was crap tonight, and that's why they lost.

Trading for a starter and a pen arm or two isn't going to solve every problem, but it would sure as heck makes this team more competitive. The offense is streaky, but playoff worthy. Pitching is holding them back ... specifically another good starter and the back end of the pen.

Tonight Anderson had a pretty decent start. He continues to give up the long ball, but didn't do badly. Burnes, Hader, and Albers cost the Crew the game. Burnes is an enigma. He can't be counted on for any late innings because he is so wildly inconsistent. With another two HRs given up tonight, Hader has already allowed as many homers (9) as he did all of last year. Like Smoltz said, Hader has fallen in love with his fastball and has gotten to the point where he cannot throw the breaking ball for strikes. Hitters are sitting strictly FB and not worrying about anything else. Stearns needs to find CC some late inning help or watch the season slip away in a hurry.

I could see the Brewers getting hot and a number of guys start playing like they should. Cain would be the big one, but Aguilar is coming around, Braun's doing well, there's a number of pitchers. Davies, Burnes, Chacin. So I could see this team getting hot and winning a NLC title.

But what then? MAYBE they beat the Braves, not the Nats if they come back and win that division which I think they will, but if they managed to, there is next to no chance they beat the Dodgers and in the AL, you're looking at Houston, a team that is insanely deep, the Yankees only need about 3 IP from their starters given that pen, they've played great all year long despite almost every starter going down with injuries and there are other teams like the Rays, A's, Sox who they're not beating.

Make some moves, reload for next year, spend on a true ace if one will sign here(I'm all in on Gerritt Cole and the enormous price tag). Then spend the rest of this year trying to get Aguilar to continue to get going in this second half, throw Shaw back out there..I believe this year is the fluke over the last 2 years, give Cain the time he needs to heal, see what Grisham can do, Supak, Ponce, Devin Williams, throw Peralta back into the rotation.

And then come back next year and hopefully you'll have some guys who either figured it out or you'll know for certain where you need to improve. Non-Tender guys like Nelson, Barnes. I'd bring back Anderson.

But mainly, I'd bet on Cole. The Brewers can't spend like other teams, we all get that. But with such a loaded FA class of pitchers and such a strong group of potential pen arms on the team, coming back from injury or in the upper levels of the system, combined with the young starting pitchers, Yelich cheap, Braun coming off, they have to go after Cole aggressive. I am all about the Shelby Miller, Smyly, Wade Miley, Yovani-type signings. But you need one you KNOW if going to top that rotation and you already know you've got a #2 in Woody. I still believe we've got guys who can be really solid in the rotation on this roster cheap.

Now's the time. At some point, you have to go for it so to speak and even 6/180 for a 28 year old pitcher who's averaging 97 MPH on his fastball, throws 4 pitchers and is dominating this year despite his HR rate being almost double what it's been for his career. I'd rather they pay for him, give him the extra year than try and outsmart themselves and sign Ryu or Hill or someone like that to a 3/50 type deal hoping they'll keep having success.

I could see the Brewers getting hot and a number of guys start playing like they should. Cain would be the big one, but Aguilar is coming around, Braun's doing well, there's a number of pitchers. Davies, Burnes, Chacin. So I could see this team getting hot and winning a NLC title.

But what then? MAYBE they beat the Braves, not the Nats if they come back and win that division which I think they will, but if they managed to, there is next to no chance they beat the Dodgers and in the AL, you're looking at Houston, a team that is insanely deep, the Yankees only need about 3 IP from their starters given that pen, they've played great all year long despite almost every starter going down with injuries and there are other teams like the Rays, A's, Sox who they're not beating.

Make some moves, reload for next year, spend on a true ace if one will sign here(I'm all in on Gerritt Cole and the enormous price tag). Then spend the rest of this year trying to get Aguilar to continue to get going in this second half, throw Shaw back out there..I believe this year is the fluke over the last 2 years, give Cain the time he needs to heal, see what Grisham can do, Supak, Ponce, Devin Williams, throw Peralta back into the rotation.

And then come back next year and hopefully you'll have some guys who either figured it out or you'll know for certain where you need to improve. Non-Tender guys like Nelson, Barnes. I'd bring back Anderson.

But mainly, I'd bet on Cole. The Brewers can't spend like other teams, we all get that. But with such a loaded FA class of pitchers and such a strong group of potential pen arms on the team, coming back from injury or in the upper levels of the system, combined with the young starting pitchers, Yelich cheap, Braun coming off, they have to go after Cole aggressive. I am all about the Shelby Miller, Smyly, Wade Miley, Yovani-type signings. But you need one you KNOW if going to top that rotation and you already know you've got a #2 in Woody. I still believe we've got guys who can be really solid in the rotation on this roster cheap.

Now's the time. At some point, you have to go for it so to speak and even 6/180 for a 28 year old pitcher who's averaging 97 MPH on his fastball, throws 4 pitchers and is dominating this year despite his HR rate being almost double what it's been for his career. I'd rather they pay for him, give him the extra year than try and outsmart themselves and sign Ryu or Hill or someone like that to a 3/50 type deal hoping they'll keep having success.

6 for 180? That isn't happening for any pitcher any time soon in Milwaukee... They pay real money and it's all guaranteed.

Definitely a rough patch, no doubt. Does the team seem like they can compete IF or when they make the playoffs? No. But baseball is funny that way. The fact is they are only 1.5 out of 1st in the division, and still in the 2nd WC spot. Sterns is not going to sell. If you get into the playoffs ANYTHING can happen. Happens all the time. With that said, I think Sterns needs to go get 2 quality bullpen arms and it could do wonders for this team. Don't continue to solve this in-house or pick up a few guys off the scrap heap and hope for lightning in a bottle. Calling up the likes of Wilkerson and Jackson is not going to do it. If Sterns isn't willing to give up guys and go get guys that are good enough to pitch meaningful innings, then yes, he should sell and plan for next year.

Archived