Brewer Fanatic

Mets and Brewers talking Thor?

Which prospects have to be added to the 40 man next year? The amount of guys being left OFF or removed from it and subject to the Rule 5 draft might be a main issue. Just like last year in August, some extra prospects needed to be moved anyway. We couldn't keep them all. Will there be as noticeable crunch as last year?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Which prospects have to be added to the 40 man next year? The amount of guys being left OFF or removed from it and subject to the Rule 5 draft might be a main issue. Just like last year in August, some extra prospects needed to be moved anyway. We couldn't keep them all. Will there be as noticeable crunch as last year?

Here are the upper end prospects that the Brewers will be looking at having to put on the 40-man:

AAA:

1. Zach Brown

2. Lucas Erceg

3. Trent Grisham

4. Thomas Jankins

5. Miguel Sanchez

AA:

1. Corey Ray

2. Daniel Brown

3. Jake Gatewood

4. Nate Griep

5. Cody Ponce

6. Joantgel Segovia

7. Weston Wilson

So yeah, depending on how many of these guys figure into the future, they are looking at another roster crunch.

Brown, Ray, Erceg, M. Sanchez, Webb to me are the only that deserve consideration. I think Ray and Brown are the only guys that get protected. I see Erceg as part of a package; same goes for Ponce. Maybe they include Bickford as a flyer for someone too.

Again, give them Peralta, Burnes, Arcia and another smaller piece and I think the trade gets done.

Man, that's a ton of young MLB talent that we are giving up on. I just can't see Stearns shipping away those three guys in one deal - for a guy in Thor who's a major injury risk. I think Peralta/Burnes would have to be an either/or situation, but not both. And if we are giving up on Arcia - we better be damn certain that Dubon is ready to contribute from day 1.

Again - I just can't see a scenario where we are going to give up three guys currently on our MLB roster - especially three young guys who all might have their best years in front of them.

Again, give them Peralta, Burnes, Arcia and another smaller piece and I think the trade gets done.

Man, that's a ton of young MLB talent that we are giving up on. I just can't see Stearns shipping away those three guys in one deal - for a guy in Thor who's a major injury risk. I think Peralta/Burnes would have to be an either/or situation, but not both. And if we are giving up on Arcia - we better be damn certain that Dubon is ready to contribute from day 1.

Again - I just can't see a scenario where we are going to give up three guys currently on our MLB roster - especially three young guys who all might have their best years in front of them.

They would be trading them, not giving up on them. Sorry, that's a pet peeve. You have to give up value to attain it ... especially high end value like Thor.

These plans have a way of blowing up but it would be pretty easy to build a very good rotation around Thor, Woody, and Davies the next 2.5 years without having to spend much more. I agree it's a lot to give up but it makes us better this year and Syndergaard could make us forget Peralta/Burnes for the next couple of years no matter how good they become. I hate giving up Arcia but Dubon and Saladino can cover it the rest of the year. I guess it depends on what else the Mets would want but I would lean toward making that deal if it is possible.

I very much doubt that gets it done. A likely reliever, a guy with a starter's arsenal that bombed so bad that he had to move back to the bullpen and then back and forth between the bullpen and the minors and then a SS that's going to be entering arbitration that's maybe like a 2 WAR guy. Adding another smaller piece on to that doesn't do much.

I very much doubt that gets it done. A likely reliever, a guy with a starter's arsenal that bombed so bad that he had to move back to the bullpen and then back and forth between the bullpen and the minors and then a SS that's going to be entering arbitration that's maybe like a 2 WAR guy. Adding another smaller piece on to that doesn't do much.

Except you're intentionally ignoring their potential based upon their skill set/ability. Two of those players have 5.5yrs control and one was a Top 50 area prospect and both have had MLB success already. So, I guess if you push all that to the side, then yeah it's terrible.

Lets see who DS moves at the deadline and been very disappointed at Brown but I not sure if he just working at particular pitches

This is something I’ve been wondering all year too with Brown. After seeing Peralta come up last year and struggle with his off speed offerings, I’ve wondered if the Brewers are putting a heavier focus on having their pitchers throw more off speed pitches in their starts than ever before to get a better feel for them. I don’t follow the minor leagues other than checking box scores so I’m not really sure if this is true, but it is definitely a fair point to bring up.

Syndergaard has his warts too, that and the fact that the Mets may prefer to retool rather than rebuild are the only reason we are talking about him. If Hiura is out we likely can't compete with the Stros and Padres in a prospect package so this is the best we got. We reportedly have interest so we must have something worthwhile to offer.

I wouldn’t trade Burnes straight up for Thor. I think many think Burnes in the next couple of years becomes a TOR, so at best that’s a wash.

There isn’t a chance in heck Stearns trades for this overrated hulk.

Syndergaard has his warts too, that and the fact that the Mets may prefer to retool rather than rebuild are the only reason we are talking about him. If Hiura is out we likely can't compete with the Stros and Padres in a prospect package so this is the best we got. We reportedly have interest so we must have something worthwhile to offer.

I don't read into us having interest hardly at all anymore. It seems like we kick the tires on just about everyone.

Probably kicking the tires as you say but the Brewers do show up in recent articles about him. I do think the Mets will move him.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-mets-noah-syndergaard-is-drawing-interest-from-brewers-padres-others-ahead-of-trade-deadline/

Edit: I guess this is the same stuff in the OP of the thread, seems like this thread has been around longer.

I wouldn’t trade Burnes straight up for Thor. I think many think Burnes in the next couple of years becomes a TOR, so at best that’s a wash.

Im high on Burnes too, but that's just crazy talk.

If one believe’s Burnes to be a future Tor, then how is it crazy?

Question Brew 92...you are so incredibly high on "prospects". Why would you NOT trade Corbin Burnes...who COULD be a TOR Pitcher in the future, for a guy like Syndergaard who is PROVEN to be a TOR starter?? I guess I just don't understand your fascination with guys who MIGHT be good sometime in the future. Don't you always always always trade potential for proven talent?? I mean, that's how you improve your ball club, right?? And not just for Syndergaard, I'm talking anyone for any prospect. Always take the proven talent, right??

Question Brew 92...you are so incredibly high on "prospects". Why would you NOT trade Corbin Burnes...who COULD be a TOR Pitcher in the future, for a guy like Syndergaard who is PROVEN to be a TOR starter?? I guess I just don't understand your fascination with guys who MIGHT be good sometime in the future. Don't you always always always trade potential for proven talent?? I mean, that's how you improve your ball club, right?? And not just for Syndergaard, I'm talking anyone for any prospect. Always take the proven talent, right??

I would trade Burnes for the right player. I don’t trust Thor moving forward, injury being my main concern. Too risky.

No, not always. Hiura is still technically a prospect. Would you trade him for a proven guy just for the sake of having the proven guy? What if we had traded Woodruff for Machado last year? Where would we be now?

The problem with your approach is two-fold. First, every great player was once a prospect. Every single one. You never find out which ones will make it if you never give them a chance. Imagine if the Dodgers had traded Cody Bellinger at the deadline for some immediate help 3 years ago because hey, he was just a prospect, go get some proven talent, right?

The other problem is that if you are constantly using your prospects as trade chips you will eventually run out of them so you can't be reckless about using them that way.

No, not always. Hiura is still technically a prospect. Would you trade him for a proven guy just for the sake of having the proven guy? What if we had traded Woodruff for Machado last year? Where would we be now?

The problem with your approach is two-fold. First, every great player was once a prospect. Every single one. You never find out which ones will make it if you never give them a chance. Imagine if the Dodgers had traded Cody Bellinger at the deadline for some immediate help 3 years ago because hey, he was just a prospect, go get some proven talent, right?

The other problem is that if you are constantly using your prospects as trade chips you will eventually run out of them so you can't be reckless about using them that way.

I see your point...but you also can't "run scared" because you THINK someone might be the next Ken Griffey Jr, or Nolan Ryan. Far more prospects that were once thought to be really good, have washed out, then have become the next Ken Griffey jr.Heck, look at the Brewers from years past for proof..Matt LaPorta(I remember people dreading giving him up in the CC deal), Nick Nuegebauer, Joey Meyer etc, the list is a long one.

I still remember vividly people here lamenting giving up Lewis Brinson in the Yelich deal. That was trading a top prospect(Brinson), for a proven major leaguer (Yelich), would any of us say that hasn't worked out great?? That's what you do, find proven talent that you feel really good about, and deal prospects for them, and don't regret it.

In regards to Syndergaard, I'd be willing to bet MASSIVE amounts of money, that he will have a better major league career when it's all said and done than Burnes or Peralta..Hence why I have no problems giving up both for him. You aren't giving up anyone that vital to this years team and getting a TOR starter(for another 2.5 years at that) which COULD be all that's needed to get them to the World Series, or for sure get them closer. That allows you to still have minor league prospects to go out and get even more help for this years team.

Agreed, impossible to believe the Mets wouldn't get more attractive offers than that.

Folks saying Corbin Burnes still has great upside so his 5.53 ERA, 1.42 WHIP 4.95 FIP MLB numbers shouldn't matter...that's just like a Marlins fan trying to sell us Lewis Brinson for a high value player and arguing that he still should hold all of his prospect value and his .190/.240/.321/.561 MLB slash line shouldn't matter because he still has real high upside.

Agreed, impossible to believe the Mets wouldn't get more attractive offers than that.

Folks saying Corbin Burnes still has great upside so his 5.53 ERA, 1.42 WHIP 4.95 FIP MLB numbers shouldn't matter...that's just like a Marlins fan trying to sell us Lewis Brinson for a high value player and arguing that he still should hold all of his prospect value and his .190/.240/.321/.561 MLB slash line shouldn't matter because he still has real high upside.

Yeah, Brinson hasn't been good in his major league career so far, but he's still an uber-talented 25-year-old true five-tool OF. I would love to have him back in the Brewers' system, especially given that a full-time corner OF position will be available after 2020. He still arguably has more upside than any other OF not on the ML roster, depending on how you feel about Lutz.

Burnes' value absolutely has taken a significant hit this year. Many teams would still take a chance on his arm, as they certainly should, but to expect him to be valued as a top 50 type prospect is simply not realistic right now.

Burnes' value absolutely has taken a significant hit this year. Many teams would still take a chance on his arm, as they certainly should, but to expect him to be valued as a top 50 type prospect is simply not realistic right now.

Well, it can also be argued that he perhaps has gone from someone who was 100% not available last season to a guy that can perhaps be had.

Archived