Brewer Fanatic

OK at the Break what does David Stearns need to do

well at the break David Stearns has a lot of work to do.

He needs to find a starting pitcher and move Houser to the pen in which he was doing well. He also need to find a Contact Hitter for the starting lineup who can help the issue with not getting runners home and maybe be less reliant on scoring on the Home Run. The other might be another Bullpen arm but more of a closer type to help Hader out.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well at the break David Stearns has a lot of work to do.

He needs to find a starting pitcher and move Houser to the pen in which he was doing well. He also need to find a Contact Hitter for the starting lineup who can help the issue with not getting runners home and maybe be less reliant on scoring on the Home Run. The other might be another Bullpen arm but more of a closer type to help Hader out.

Getting a top rental starter (Gio hopefully will be decent, so in addition to him) and a couple of relievers (one of them being high leverage) has to be part of the plan. This year, on paper, looks better than next year with Moose and Grandal here, and since thus is the case we will be aggressive. The woulda, coulda, shoulda will not be a reason why we didn't win it all this year. We are Pulling out all the stops and risking future assets for right now, more than we are comfortable doing.

Community Moderator

I think anyone hoping this team’s roster is going to look significantly different by the end of the All-Star break is setting themselves up for disappointment.

They’ll make moves this month, but I would doubt many (if any) occur by this Friday.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't you see many moves because of the way the Dodgers are currently playing and are the class of the NL. I think the Brewers have ran through their group of 4 a pitchers and have not found any who going to help.They might look to give some prospects a shot after the break.I would hope that Gio can return to the rotation and that should keep either Perelta,Burnes and Houser in the pen to make it better and remove Guerra.the rotation will be Davies ,Gio,Woodruff,Chacin and a 5th

I am hoping for Zach Wheeler and then that we re-sign him. Then hopefully Gio gets his arm back to normal.

It will be huge if Aguilar and Chacin are putting it back together. For Aggie, OPS back to 0.725. Not great, but coming back toward respectability. Confidence is one thing. He seemed to be pressing.

Chacin looked chunky to me but maybe he's also turning a corner.

Woodruff, Wheeler, Davies, Gio, and Chacin in the rotation with Chase and Peralta in the pen for multiple innings could help the back end of the pen.

I think anyone hoping this team’s roster is going to look significantly different by the end of the All-Star break is setting themselves up for disappointment.

They’ll make moves this month, but I would doubt many (if any) occur by this Friday.

I think this sentiment will extend straight through the trade deadline. Pretty much every team in contention can outbid us if they want to. It's going to be a couple of under the radar moves and not much more. The players we have are going to have to play better.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The title of this post doesn't suggest that the moves have to be made this week.

The title of this post doesn't suggest that the moves have to be made this week.

Well, then again, maybe so.... Some punctuation would help us.

If I’m Stearns here’s what I do at the break:

1.) Option Arcia, play Dubon

2.) IL Cain, Roster Grisham and play him in the outfield

3.) Call-up D Williams to add to the pen

4.) DFA Pina, play Freitas more than Pina, Grandal can play 1B a little more if Freitas hits like I hope he hits

Not all these moves will work out but I expect more production offensively, and the only loss might be Pina, but I can replace depth in the C dept.

I think this sentiment will extend straight through the trade deadline. Pretty much every team in contention can outbid us if they want to. It's going to be a couple of under the radar moves and not much more. The players we have are going to have to play better.

Agree, other than making a low prospect cost move for a rental reliever this is what we should be doing IMO. If Anderson and Chacin have better second halves the rotation could be OK, the hitting has been under performing but could still get hot. I just don't see this team as good enough to win a world series considering the quality of the top teams so no way they go all in by dealing most of our good prospects in a thin system. Let some of these prospects develop and we may be better set to make the bigger moves this offseason or next seasons deadline. We can still make the playoffs and maybe a few Gio/Grandy type vets get released after the deadline and we can add some talent that way.

I think any changes we make are to pitching, especially if Aguilar looks good out of the break. I've been advocating for trading for Justin Smoak for weeks, but if both Thames and Aguilar are hitting...that would be pointless. Outside chance we look at a SS/utility type to take over SS, but I think we rotate until we find an in-house option that works. I also think the rest helps Cain/Braun bounce back a bit...especially Cain.

As for pitching, I'd like to see 1 starter and 2 relievers. I like the idea of someone established that will eat innings and keep us in games. That's part of why I like Bumgarner, also the whole postseason monster thing. I obviously love the idea of Will Smith so we have a 3rd lefty, especially with claudio struggling...but that might not be realistic. I definitely think we should add a LH reliever specifically though...2 RH relievers would be overkill as we have a couple good from the right side.

Really all they can do is bolster the bullpen. The lineup is fairly set and a drastic improvement of a SP probably just isn't available. Unless the Mets sold but still we wouldn't really have the capital trade since no way we're trading Keston. So, it's solidifying the bullpen and trying to recreated the pitching system that worked last year. Will Smith seems like the perfect fit to start with

Really all they can do is bolster the bullpen. The lineup is fairly set and a drastic improvement of a SP probably just isn't available. Unless the Mets sold but still we wouldn't really have the capital trade since no way we're trading Keston. So, it's solidifying the bullpen and trying to recreated the pitching system that worked last year. Will Smith seems like the perfect fit to start with

I don't hate the idea of adding 2 relievers and trying to piecemeal the pitching for 1.5 months until we can call up extra arms in September. I think adding someone like Bumgarner helps so much though, guy goes 6-7 innings every start. Would be nice to have at least one rock in the rotation.

Yes i'd agree Bumgarner would be an improvement. I did think of him and that's why I used the phrase "drastic improvement", but I also probably could've clarified more to say improvement commensurate with the cost of the trade. As in, yes Bum would improve us but not thaaat much since he's only ok now and would likely cost too much to be worth it. I'm open to a Smith/Bum package of course but think it would be too much to give up. So, I'd think the most cost beneficial area would be to target two BP guys

If we are close in the division race I definitely expect some notable moves (not necessarily elite***) and possibly even some type of controllable player that will help next year if this year kinda flops.

4.) DFA Pina, play Freitas more than Pina, Grandal can play 1B a little more if Freitas hits like I hope he hits

Not all these moves will work out but I expect more production offensively, and the only loss might be Pina, but I can replace depth in the C dept.

Why would you want Freitas over Pina. He would only play once a week since Thames and Aguilar are hitting well now and no need to play Grandal at 1B. Freitas MLB numbers: .214/.270 and Pina is the superior defensive catcher. Pina is doing a good job as the once-a-week-backup. Williams only has 48 IPs at AA. He hasn't seen AAA yet. Way too early to call him up and possibly screw with his confidence. At least see what he could do in San Antonio. Look at the Brewers' pitcher of the year last year Brown. Did great at AA and is getting killed at San Antonio.

Why would you want Freitas over Pina. He would only play once a week since Thames and Aguilar are hitting well now and no need to play Grandal at 1B. Freitas MLB numbers: .214/.270 and Pina is the superior defensive catcher. Pina is doing a good job as the once-a-week-backup. Williams only has 48 IPs at AA. He hasn't seen AAA yet. Way too early to call him up and possibly screw with his confidence. At least see what he could do in San Antonio. Look at the Brewers' pitcher of the year last year Brown. Did great at AA and is getting killed at San Antonio.

So you must like my first two moves, since you didn’t disagree with them in your post.

Plenty of pitchers have gone from AA, to the big leagues, especially when they’ve dominated like he has, not worried about his psyche, he’s not young, and we’re gonna need to roster him this fall anyhow, and to top it off, we need dominant pen arms, so let’s see if he can help us BEFORE the deadline.

Freitas is also a good defender, maybe not quite to Pina’s skill, but, to my eye, Pina is not quite the defender he’s been the last couple years, and, I’m pretty confident Freitas can hit better than .214 which would still be .50+ points higher than Pina. He’s also almost 3 yrs younger, and IF he hits anything even remotely close to .360+, he protects the brewers from another Aguilar or Thames slump.

This is going to be a bit of a weird deadline. There are maybe 7 or 8 obvious sellers in the AL and maybe 1 obvious NL seller? I don't think even the Giants are 100% sell yet. They are probably prepared to sell but might wait a week to see how they look out of the break. Almost every team in the NL could look to contend and therefore could look to add. Might drive up prices.

Plenty of pitchers have gone from AA, to the big leagues, especially when they’ve dominated like he has, not worried about his psyche, he’s not young, and we’re gonna need to roster him this fall anyhow, and to top it off, we need dominant pen arms, so let’s see if he can help us BEFORE the deadline.

Freitas is also a good defender, maybe not quite to Pina’s skill, but, to my eye, Pina is not quite the defender he’s been the last couple years, and, I’m pretty confident Freitas can hit better than .214 which would still be .50+ points higher than Pina. He’s also almost 3 yrs younger, and IF he hits anything even remotely close to .360+, he protects the brewers from another Aguilar or Thames slump.

The Brewers are probably not a World Series Contender, but they are a playoff contender. One thing I do know is they aren't going to put their remaining chance this season in the hands of some rookies coming up to the majors from AA. You could argue that they find themselves in the position they are currently in because they thought young pitchers Freddy Peralta and Corbin Burnes could make the jump to stable rotation pitchers.

I'd expect the GM to look to upgrade shortstop. There might not be an offensive bat out there to be had, so perhaps a strong defender like Miami's Miguel Rojas to shore up the infield defense.

Their biggest hole is the starting rotation. However, given their odds of being more than a Wild Card team, I don't see the Brewers spending the prospect capital they likely would need to in order to land Marcus Stroman. Nor are they likely to fork over key prospects for the in demand rentals like Bumgarner or Wheeler. They're probably going to have to sink or swim with Woodruff, Davies, Gio Gonzalez, Chase Anderson and Jhoulys Chacin.

Barring a collapse in the first part of July, I do think Stearns will add at least two arms to the bullpen. I don't think they will be the Ken Giles and Will Smith types. Rather, I could see the successful but less heralded arms like Daniel Hudson, Shane Greene, Tony Watson, Sergio Romo, etc. Having a bullpen that is capable of keeping them close on a nightly basis, helps the team that relies primarily on homeruns for offense to make comebacks.

I'd focus on one trade. Stroman and Giles package. It's 1 move but feels like 2 given Houser gets bumped to the pen bolstering it with Giles. I'd look at using Arcia and Peralta as MLB guys to include in the package.

I'd focus on one trade. Stroman and Giles package. It's 1 move but feels like 2 given Houser gets bumped to the pen bolstering it with Giles. I'd look at using Arcia and Peralta as MLB guys to include in the package.

I actually like this a lot. I think they have Bichette penciled in at SS of the future, but I could see them liking Peralta as the feature piece. Obviously we'd need probably 1 more good prospect included in the deal and probably some lesser prospects. Peralta + Ray + some smaller stuff. I wonder if that's enough. Might need more as other teams may bid on the same package.

Just don’t see Stearns going after a name starter, too many buyers to bid vs.

Giles I could see him try to land.

Greg Holland could be a really cheap one to grab. Was good last year once he got out of STL and has been good again this year. Striking out over 10 per 9. 1.2 WHIP, not great but not brutal. Seems to be getting a bit lucky as he has a high FIP. Not saying he's a Knebel type guy like last year, but sure would be a solid improvement to our current lot and not cost much.

Something like him him and Will Smith would reshape things greatly.

You people run too scared about giving up prospects. It's not like they will end up being the next Nolan Ryan or Ken Griffey Jr. Who cares what they COULD become, that's in the future. You play to win now. Give up what you have to give up to improve your team anyway that you can THIS year, and worry about next year and future years when they come. I couldn't care less about the prospects they'd give up...gve up Arcia and Peralta and Corbin Burnes too if you have to..I want to see them win NOW. The future is never guaranteed.

You people run too scared about giving up prospects. It's not like they will end up being the next Nolan Ryan or Ken Griffey Jr. Who cares what they COULD become, that's in the future. You play to win now. Give up what you have to give up to improve your team anyway that you can THIS year, and worry about next year and future years when they come. I couldn't care less about the prospects they'd give up...gve up Arcia and Peralta and Corbin Burnes too if you have to..I want to see them win NOW. The future is never guaranteed.

But what do you do when you have no one coming in the pipeline because you have shopped them all? The Brewers cannot afford to do the free agent way for their 40 man roster. There has to be a balance.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived