Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-07: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Musgrove) [Brewers lose, 6-5]

Eye Black
Just gotta get the bats going and get back in it.

The pitching had a nice little run for about a week but it's rounding back into form. The bats can get going but until they decide pitching is important, this team is going nowhere including "in it".

It’s been obvious they need a reliever or two and MAYBE a starter, depending on Gio and or Houser and or Chacín the next 24 days, but to continue to put the head in the sand on this offense is ...........

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Guerra again when other pen arms have been better lately and more rested???

Other then maybe JJ( not throwing great either) not sure who the good options are that are available and rested.

Burnes used.....Peralta used yesterday.....our soft tossing lefty used

In a tie game in the 7th we really don't have any good options......nobody who was available has been pitching well.....and Hader isn't a guy who would be used to start the 7th in a tie game especially with a bad back.

Exactly why Anderson NEEDED to stay in this game as long as possible. This is ridiculous to make excuses for Counsell, this game is on him. Period.

It rained. He would have been out early no matter what

I said in Cincinnati who would you rather be at this point Reds or brewers? I'd say the same thing now. Who would you rather be the Pirates or Brewers right now? Brewers right now appear to be the worst team in a bad division.

Would you rather be the Reds or the Cubs? Honest question.

All things considered probably the Reds. Minors much stronger and I trust DJ to work with the arms they have on the way. Cubs are in salary jail and minors are barren.

Other then maybe JJ( not throwing great either) not sure who the good options are that are available and rested.

In a tie game in the 7th we really don't have any good options......nobody who was available has been pitching well.....and Hader isn't a guy who would be used to start the 7th in a tie game especially with a bad back.

Exactly why Anderson NEEDED to stay in this game as long as possible. This is ridiculous to make excuses for Counsell, this game is on him. Period.

I have been in and out of a nap but my thoughts were that he pulled Anderson because of the rain and needing to score

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have been in and out of a nap but my thoughts were that he pulled Anderson because of the rain and needing to score

That's right. Very rarely do teams leave the original starter in following a rain delay, unless it's super short. Having the starter get warm, pitch a few innings, and try to get warm again after sitting through a rain delay can do a lot of damage to an arm. You could say that the Brewers were screwed by Mother Nature, but Counsell certainly made the right move pulling Anderson.

Community Moderator
Why Guerra again when other pen arms have been better lately and more rested???

giphy.gif

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just gotta get the bats going and get back in it.

The pitching had a nice little run for about a week but it's rounding back into form. The bats can get going but until they decide pitching is important, this team is going nowhere including "in it".

When was the last time that the pitching and hitting were both playing well at the same time? May?

Rarely, mostly because the pitching isn't capable of going on an extended streak of success. Every message board for every single team will complain about inconsistent offense. Offense isn't the issue.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

EVERYONE but Counsell knows Guerra’s command gone, and has been for weeks, but pitches him exactly as before. Never thought I’d say this > new manager needed > fire Counsell > hire DJ.

Who else does he have?? I'm tough on Counsell too but the dude is out of buttons to press. I got hammered for saying they need more bullpen arms because Hader is at risk. Now of course his back is acting up which is a problem when he's all you have. It's a mess but Counsell isn't the blame.

When your starter is rolling > DONT take him out after the 4th inning, with a slumping bullpen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
EVERYONE but Counsell knows Guerra’s command gone, and has been for weeks, but pitches him exactly as before. Never thought I’d say this > new manager needed > fire Counsell > hire DJ.

Who else does he have?? I'm tough on Counsell too but the dude is out of buttons to press. I got hammered for saying they need more bullpen arms because Hader is at risk. Now of course his back is acting up which is a problem when he's all you have. It's a mess but Counsell isn't the blame.

When your starter is rolling > DONT take him out after the 4th inning, with a slumping bullpen.

Again, he was taken out because there was a rain delay. It was the smart move. Crappy luck for the Brewers and Anderson, but sometimes it just happens.

Community Moderator

Due up for the Brewers in the 9th inning versus Vazquez...

1) Saladino

2) Pinch Hitter (Yelich?)

3) Cain

————————

4) Moustakas

5) Grandal

6) Hiura

If they can get to Grandal’s spot in the order hopefully it means they have a chance to tie or take the lead.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Again, he was taken out because there was a rain delay. It was the smart move. Crappy luck for the Brewers and Anderson, but sometimes it just happens.

Can't do much about the rain unless you have a retractable roof or a dome... Counsell was in a bad spot NOT of his making... made the best call he could.

Archived