Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-07: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Musgrove) [Brewers lose, 6-5]

Eye Black
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I don’t understand all this talk about who you would rather be. People talk like the Brewers are a moribund franchise. They have a few holes after some things didn’t pan out this year. But apart from Braun, there are no albatross contracts on the roster. Players can bounce back or grow, and some holes can be addressed in the offseason. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have some bad contracts and haven’t been strong contenders for years, despite all our mental scarring about them being the boogeyman.

For the rest of the division, it is rather silly to remove this topic from context—which is what it took to get where all these teams are now. The Cubs are looking like paper tigers, and sure, they won their title, but now they are saddled by a litany of questionable contracts, especially for pitchers. We talk about the spending advantage of the Cubs, but big deals to Hayward and Darvish especially look like handicaps not advantages. All of this brings me to my main point: the Cubs’ success—and the talent, such as it is, of the Reds and Pirates—owe mainly to years of absolutely woeful products on the field during prolonged rebuilds. This is the most important context which the “who would you rather be right now?” question ignores. I’d rather not be a fan of a franchise that milks the fan base for years while not even trying to field a competitive club, all while lying about how it was the only way to build a contender. And we know it is a lie, because we saw the proof in 2017 and 2018. The Brewers/Stearns method, call it an abbreviated tear down, or accelerated rebuild, or “not putting limits on the team” kept the lean years to a minimum, netted an MVP caliber player and the most wins in the league last year. I’d much rather see that than the hell the Cubs, Reds, and Pirates fans lived under recently.

Put me down as still being proud of these Brewers. I wouldn’t be nearly as proud of any of those other clubs, and it isn’t even close.

This franchise has seen one World Series in it's history. One, and there have been plenty of extended periods of comically futile ineptitide. This franchise is the definition of hell as far as sports franchises go. I would gladly lose 100 games fora few years if it meant a world series win.

Most of us would gladly trade a WS title for 100-loss seasons. The problem is that it doesn't work that way and the far more likely scenario is trading 100-loss seasons for quick playoff exits. For every Kansas City there are several Baltimores.

I don’t understand all this talk about who you would rather be. People talk like the Brewers are a moribund franchise. They have a few holes after some things didn’t pan out this year. But apart from Braun, there are no albatross contracts on the roster. Players can bounce back or grow, and some holes can be addressed in the offseason. The Cardinals, meanwhile, have some bad contracts and haven’t been strong contenders for years, despite all our mental scarring about them being the boogeyman.

For the rest of the division, it is rather silly to remove this topic from context—which is what it took to get where all these teams are now. The Cubs are looking like paper tigers, and sure, they won their title, but now they are saddled by a litany of questionable contracts, especially for pitchers. We talk about the spending advantage of the Cubs, but big deals to Hayward and Darvish especially look like handicaps not advantages. All of this brings me to my main point: the Cubs’ success—and the talent, such as it is, of the Reds and Pirates—owe mainly to years of absolutely woeful products on the field during prolonged rebuilds. This is the most important context which the “who would you rather be right now?” question ignores. I’d rather not be a fan of a franchise that milks the fan base for years while not even trying to field a competitive club, all while lying about how it was the only way to build a contender. And we know it is a lie, because we saw the proof in 2017 and 2018. The Brewers/Stearns method, call it an abbreviated tear down, or accelerated rebuild, or “not putting limits on the team” kept the lean years to a minimum, netted an MVP caliber player and the most wins in the league last year. I’d much rather see that than the hell the Cubs, Reds, and Pirates fans lived under recently.

Put me down as still being proud of these Brewers. I wouldn’t be nearly as proud of any of those other clubs, and it isn’t even close.

This franchise has seen one World Series in it's history. One, and there have been plenty of extended periods of comically futile ineptitide. This franchise is the definition of hell as far as sports franchises go. I would gladly lose 100 games fora few years if it meant a world series win.

So lose 100 games for how many years? Have a payroll of what during those years? 70-80 million? Banking what 70-80 million a year during the rebuild, then Attanasio decides to buy the AA team, then the AAA team, buy another state of the art scoreboard for 40 million. Then when we get good again, the reds have a larger payroll than we do, And with 3-4 years time past and ownership of said minor league teams, Attanasio’s teams value skyrockets yet again, to 1.5 billion making Mark A a billionaire. Yay.

Wow, 7-16 to finish off the first half? I knew it was bad, but didn’t realize it was that bad.

It wasn’t QUITE that bad because the Brewers have not been more than 10 games over .500 and now they’re 3 over. They actually finished 8-15. I think it feels worse though because all 23 of those games were against teams with losing records, and the Brewers lost the first two games of so many series that some of the wins felt like a consolation prize for a crappy series. Several of the losses were embarrassing blowouts, while almost every win was a grind it out, hang on for dear life affair.

Not to mention that, aside from the wins and losses, they played like a team that will be fortunate to finish at .500; the hitting, starting pitching, relief pitching, and defense have all been below the standard of a playoff contender.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

This one really stinks.

Unfortunately a second consecutive year of spending the All-Star break not feeling so great about Brewers baseball.

It worked out pretty good last year #optimism

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Games like today where I really wish we hadn't traded away the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This one really stinks.

Unfortunately a second consecutive year of spending the All-Star break not feeling so great about Brewers baseball.

It worked out pretty good last year #optimism

Cubs were up by 2.5 games last year...

How did that work out for them?

Now they're only up by .5 game, and the Crew has a better team.

I like the odds...

Whew! I was worried that Christian Yelich might not be rested before the home run contest. Glad Craig gave him a day off.

Tyler Saladino and his 2 for 25 will pick up the offensive slack. You'll see. /blue

This is a “get off my lawn moment”. But the home run derby sucks. And when a brewer is in it then it really sucks

I'm rather relieved he isn't going to participate.

Complacency has set in. Time to sell and fix the mistakes for next year.

If we weren't a half a game out of first even with all of our struggles lately I might agree with you. A lot of folks think the Cubs are the class of the division and they are having issues too. I doubt anyone there is thinking it is now time to sell.

For those of you sick of the 1982 reunions and stories, the Pirates are having a 1979 night in a couple weeks.

But they are celebrating WINNING the World Series. Huge difference.

Yes, but what have they won since? About as much as we have.

Take out a pitcher on a roll after 4 innings, to me is a firable offense. Maybe we fire Counsell and replace him with DJ.

Maybe Anderson is hurt. Maybe he's just tightening up. Maybe he's got a blister. Maybe he just wanted the PH'er last inning to try to generate some offense, and he knows the entire bullpen is available today going into the break.

Lots of reasons that he could have pulled him without it being a "fireable offense"....

I suspect CC wanted to generate some offense. We haven't seen much of that lately...

Guerra needs some time on the IL. "Right wrist injury" sound legitimate enough?

Or a sore neck

A sore neck from watching balls fly over the fence while standing on the mound... :(

The side view of that Hiura swing is ridiculous. Looked like it was an infield pop up if you only saw that view.

Did you guys see Hiura and Arcia embrace after he got back to the dugout after the HR?

For those of you sick of the 1982 reunions and stories, the Pirates are having a 1979 night in a couple weeks.

But they are celebrating WINNING the World Series. Huge difference.

Yes, but what have they won since? About as much as we have.

I’d rather have won the World Series multiple times 40+ years ago and then not done much after that, than go to one World Series 37 years ago, lose it, and then not do much after.

Archived