Brewer Fanatic

Dubon being called up

markedman5

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Dubon is being called up, then Arcia's injury is serious enough to put him on the DL.

I hope Arcia recovers quickly. I hope Dubon is good enough to make the team's middle infield decisions very difficult.

I think he will be... I think his defense isn't as good, but he has hit over .300 more often than not in the minors, especially in recent years.

Hope the Arcia injury isn't serious.

Really happy for Dubon. He was hitting everything and just days away from a call-up the first time Arcia was optioned in May of last year when he suffered the ACL injury. Had to work all the way back from that while being limited in spring training by a bad illness that hospitalized him, with no time to test his versatility for a potential utility role, while getting passed and blocked at second by Hiura, and with Arcia coming back around at short.

I don't think Arcia's been the real problem on offense this year. After all he's got the same amount of HR and almost as many RBI as Braun batting either 8th or 9th while striking out less. But this organization seems to have an offensive depth issue and it would be great to see Dubon be able to hold his own against major league pitching. This exposure to major league pitching comes at a time when it should help his development.

Oh dang, hope Orlando is okay, but excited for dubon time!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't think Arcia's been the real problem on offense this year. After all he's got the same amount of HR and almost as many RBI as Braun batting either 8th or 9th while striking out less. But this organization seems to have an offensive depth issue and it would be great to see Dubon be able to hold his own against major league pitching. This exposure to major league pitching comes at a time when it should help his development.

Arcia's been a problem at the plate for a large portion of his MLB career. His K rate is like 2.5% lower than Braun's too this year and he's 11yrs younger. It sounds like you think Braun and Arcia are comparable hitters, which they most certainly are not.

Arcia hasn't matured over his time. He's like Perez; they go about their business and never take that next step. He's a slightly better version of Alcides Escobar but with more power, less speed. He absolutely has been a hole in this lineup most of the time offering no consistency. Low BA, low OBP but his power came back (which was obviously going to happen as well).

Dubon is a high BA, high contact/low K bat who brings consistency to any lineup. He's been that way his entire career.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dubon is going to be an all glove no bat player in the major leagues. Not exactly what the team needs at this moment

He's hit pretty well at every level. What makes you think the bat will go into hibernation in the majors? Not trying to argue, just trying to understand your reasoning.

Arcia's been a problem at the plate for a large portion of his MLB career. His K rate is like 2.5% lower than Braun's too this year and he's 11yrs younger. It sounds like you think Braun and Arcia are comparable hitters, which they most certainly are not.

Arcia hasn't matured over his time. He's like Perez; they go about their business and never take that next step. He's a slightly better version of Alcides Escobar but with more power, less speed. He absolutely has been a hole in this lineup most of the time offering no consistency. Low BA, low OBP but his power came back (which was obviously going to happen as well).

Dubon is a high BA, high contact/low K bat who brings consistency to any lineup. He's been that way his entire career.

Arcia had what used to be called a sophomore slump for most of 2018. Other than the 5 months of 2018, he's been a productive major league hitter. His career K rate is actually below major league average. His BABIP rate would indicate he's hit in bad luck particularly this year. His OPS is 125 points higher with BABIP rate down 40 points? That's not easy to do. His walk rate could be better, but as the 8th hitter, I'd rather he be swinging with 2 outs and runners on. When he bats 9th, he gets better pitches to hit and he's slugging .487 in that spot compared to .410 with the pitcher batting behind him.

Let's see what Dubon does against major league pitching. Most guys K rates go up pretty significantly with the jump to the majors. I think he's ready to be a decent major league hitter, but I don't expect much more than something like .270/.320/.400. Useful sure. A future star? Doubtful.

Community Moderator

As others have expressed, I’m excited for Dubon to get his chance.

It will be interesting if Dubon ends up in the Brewers long term plans or if this ends up being a situation similar to when the Angels called up Jean Segura in July of 2012 before trading him to the Brewers. I do think Dubon is among the Brewers most likely trade assets if they make a significant addition prior to the deadline. Depending on the severity of Arcia’s injury, maybe that status has now changed.

Here are some of the projected 2019 MLB batting lines for Dubon via various projection systems (for entertainment purposes only, please take these projections with a grain of salt)...

Clay Davenport: .261 BA / .291 OBP / .383 SLG (.674 OPS)

Steamer: .259 BA / .297 OBP / .393 SLG (.690 OPS)

THE BAT: .254 BA / .295 OBP / .387 SLG (.682 OPS)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Arcia us apparently fine, expects to play after the break

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The PCL is a hitter’s league. A .487 slugging in that league isn’t great, and is below most of the Mission regulars. His OBP is also near the bottom of the regulars at San Antonio.

And that’s AAA, where he’s not going to be facing the best pitching he’s ever seen in nearly every at bat. So to think a middling AAA bat is going to come up and not likely struggle is the poor take

.284 .342 .407 .749 - Orlando Arcia's career MILB numbers while being 2 years younger than Dubon at every level.

.301 .348 .424 .772 - Mauricio Dubon's career MILB numbers.

Not much difference. It'll be fun to see if Mauricio can translate his MILB numbers to some success at this level. We could use his versatility. He's not an all world defender but Arcia hasn't been very good either this year so defense is probably a wash.

.284 .342 .407 .749 - Orlando Arcia's career MILB numbers while being 2 years younger than Dubon at every level.

.301 .348 .424 .772 - Mauricio Dubon's career MILB numbers.

Not much difference. It'll be fun to see if Mauricio can translate his MILB numbers to some success at this level. We could use his versatility. He's not an all world defender but Arcia hasn't been very good either this year so defense is probably a wash.

If it’s less Ks I’ll be happy.

Hopefully, Dubon does something to prove the optimists right on this page. I myself am skeptical.

If he holds his own, I can see Saladino being sent packing after the break once Arcia is good to go, keeping Dubon on the roster...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hopefully, Dubon does something to prove the optimists right on this page. I myself am skeptical.

If he holds his own, I can see Saladino being sent packing after the break once Arcia is good to go, keeping Dubon on the roster...

Dubon's going to bring a needed skill set - he's got a high-average bat, and his power has taken a HUGE jump this year.

The PCL is a hitter’s league. A .487 slugging in that league isn’t great, and is below most of the Mission regulars. His OBP is also near the bottom of the regulars at San Antonio.

Who are these "most of" Missions regulars with better offensive numbers than Dubon? Freitas, Spangenberg and Grisham, who just came up? That is not "most of".

And a .491 slugging percentage is quite good and shows a considerable improvement for a guy who has never been much of a power hitter.

Archived