Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-06: Brewers (Houser) at Pirates (Agrazal) [Brewers lose, 12-2 -- Arcia injured after collision w/ Hiura]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hiura is on everything tonight ... no results to show for it, sadly, though.

Gamel ... ugghh ... I wish we had Domingo!

Not me. Domingo isn't a decent outfielder.

That particular poster's love of Santana has become weird. I think he's just doing it to be trolly now.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We couldn't afford Manny Machado last season, and he beat our brains out ... remember that?

What I remember is the Dodgers (& likely the Brewers & other interested teams) discussing trade scenarios with the Orioles leading up to the deadline.

Based on Machado being traded to Los Angeles it would seem as though Baltimore thought they offered the best prospects of the interested clubs.

The amateur market (where the prospects came from) already is capped with controlled spending.

I guess what I am struggling to understand is how not having a cap on MLB salaries prevented us from trading prospects for Manny Machado?

Amateur spending on players is capped, yes, but, teams can spend as much as they want on scouting, logistics, etc. again, massive advantage to the large markets, able to scout many more players.

Yes, it is frustrating that large market teams have an advantage but I don't see it changing any time soon. You've made your case numerous times. Instead of harping on this let's talk about what can be realistically done to fix our issues - something that can be actually done right now.

It’s not that simple?

What have I said that you KNOW is incorrect?

All anyone has done here is say it’s not that simple or how do you know this or show us the info.

I’ve shown the info over the last 5 months on this site and it just gets ignored. But I still get hammered. I started out as the lone voice on this, now, hopefully there’s a few that have opened their minds to the reality of the profits this team makes, year after year.

Profits, not the value of the franchise. If we talk about the value of the franchise it really gets all the more ridiculous. 152 million more in the last 15 months. 152 million, and people are in awe(Haudricourt)of a 127 million payroll, with another probable profit north of 30 million.

While Stearns has to bottom feed, waiver wire, yes sign > Grandal, but that money just got the payroll up to where the reds are at. The reds, a team with LESS REVENUE than the brewers!

I’m NOT suggesting Attanasio take a loss, even for just one year, I’m saying, for one year or two years, With a team recognized as a real contender, to payroll this team to CLOSE to breakeven. That could be 155-165, and trust Stearns to spend wisely, which we all know he will do, increasing the odds of a deep playoff run, which in turn, makes a profit again, builds the brand, adds value to the franchise.

Now why is it not this simple?

What is wrong with this scenario?

How many more years do we have to wait to win a series? It’s been 50.

Why should the best fans( Per capita )in baseball have a payroll not reflective of its fans?

If Bud selig still owned this team, what would he do?

I think we know the answer.

The last few seasons before Selig sold the team, he was normally in the $40 million range for payroll, bottom 10 in payroll almost every season. His final season as owner in 2004, the payroll was just over $27 million, dead last in the MLB. With Mark at the helm, it’s over $127 million this season, currently 16th in MLB. He has literally increased the payroll over $100 million since he took over as owner. That’s all that needs to be said to show how much Mark wants to see the Brewers be successful.

Archived