Brewer Fanatic

2019-07-06: Brewers (Houser) at Pirates (Agrazal) [Brewers lose, 12-2 -- Arcia injured after collision w/ Hiura]

Eye Black
David Stearns doesn't have the same cash stash as they do in Chicago, LA, NY, or Houston ... Stearns was too slow, though, on getting Shaw out of the picture this season, I will say that.

David Stearns has a ridiculously low payroll, not reflective of his wisdom. He’s been doin it on the cheap, and overperforming his payroll, but there’s a limit to what he can do. We can’t have a payroll as large as the aforementioned teams, but with a gross profit north of 75 million last year, and a contending team, SHOULD have been much higher than 127 million.

If so, should some of us be screaming at Mark Attanasio, then?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
This is exactly why they damn well better have a new rotation arm by this time next week. Stearns would be irresponsible as a GM to NOT have a new arm by next week. I think he's way too passive to begin with...the fact he has done NOTHING to this point doesn't help his cause with me, and if not a new arm by next week, then I'm really done with him.

Has a single trade of consequence been made yet?

I guess every GM of all the contending teams is just a passive pansy with no big boy pants.

David Stearns doesn't have the same cash stash as they do in Chicago, LA, NY, or Houston ... Stearns was too slow, though, on getting Shaw out of the picture this season, I will say that.

David Stearns has a ridiculously low payroll, not reflective of his wisdom. He’s been doin it on the cheap, and overperforming his payroll, but there’s a limit to what he can do. We can’t have a payroll as large as the aforementioned teams, but with a gross profit north of 75 million last year, and a contending team, SHOULD have been much higher than 127 million.

If so, should some of us be screaming at Mark Attanasio, then?

Yes.

Attanasio should, in a year after one game from the series, upped the payroll to at least within 50 million of the Cubbies. But we still have a trade deadline and will add payroll, hoping it’s substantial, but not holding my breath for that.

I bet we score more runs in innings where the leadoff man makes an out then when we get a leadoff double. That’s hard to do

Just bunt Arcia. Counsell doesn’t like him anyways. Treat him like a pony leaguer

I appreciate the fact that virtually every game thread is about our payroll. It's a discussion that we've brought up about 70 times out of just north of 80 games...

and-we-have-become-exceedingly-efficient-at-it.jpg

If the MLB was a "fair" league like the NFL, it would not be an issue. More heat needs to be brought to bear upon the MLB ...

fans in small-markets should eventually boycott the MLB until they make it "fair!!!!"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I appreciate the fact that virtually every game thread is about our payroll. It's a discussion that we've brought up about 70 times out of just north of 80 games...

If the MLB was a "fair" league like the NFL, it would not be an issue.

Meh. I've already established that I'm not super interested in MLB having a cap. And by "not super interested" I mean "not at all"

If the MLB was a "fair" league like the NFL, it would not be an issue.

Meh. I've already established that I'm not super interested in MLB having a cap. And by "not super interested" I mean "not at all"

Enjoy your "unfair" league, then. Enjoy your Brewers winning the division once every couple decades, then. Enjoy your Brewers NEVER winning a World Series! Enjoy division rivals gobbling up our superstars and other free agents we cannot afford! Enjoy it all! Yeah, this is very enjoyable!

Houser has a 8.47 ERA in 5 starts this year, and a 1.05 ERA in 14 relief appearances. Perhaps this is not his most suitable role.

It seems it takes the brewers longer than most to figure these kinds of things out. See Freddy Peralta.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Enjoy your "unfair" league, then. Enjoy your Brewers winning the division once every couple decades, then. Enjoy your Brewers NEVER winning a World Series! Enjoy division rivals gobbling up our superstars and other free agents we cannot afford! Enjoy it all! Yeah, this is very enjoyable!

The Brewers have 2 division titles this decade and two trips to the NLCS. It actually has been pretty enjoyable.

I mean why not call up Drew Smyly?? He can't be much worse than what they have now and at least he's a veteran, that might be able to use his experience to get out of some situations. Obviously Stearns isn't that interested in helping the staff externally so..

Houser has a 8.47 ERA in 5 starts this year, and a 1.05 ERA in 14 relief appearances. Perhaps this is not his most suitable role.

He’s a rotation arm, can’t pull the plug this early on him, imo. We have to have some patience with rookie starters at some point. He’ll improve.

Got home from dinner hoping to see that the Brewers game had been called and been rescheduled for some time in the future when the Brewers might not be in the crapper like they are now. No such luck. Just another game effectively over in the first inning.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived