Brewer Fanatic

Brewers -Wheeler, inevitable?

I think Wheeler is the starter I'd go after. I do worry a bit about the price. I'd currently value him at 12.6 million in surplus value (projecting him as being good for 1.7 WAR over the remainder of the season). I'd be willing to do something like:

Wheeler for Tristen Lutz and Clayton Andrews

Wheeler for Aaron Ashby, Payton Henry and Je'Von Ward

I could see bidding easily go above those levels. I would not be willing to deal Turang in a Wheeler deal, unless I was also getting a real quality reliever from the Mets. I think the price on Edwin Diaz would be sky-high just based on what the Mets paid to get him, so I would have to assume he is out. Zack Wheeler and Seth Lugo would be great, but the price including Lugo would be huge because he has 3.5 years of team control left...so this is probably not realistic. The Mets do have Justin Wilson in the pen, he's been hurt most of this year but was a hot name a couple years ago. He has also had some ugly peripherals recently with walks, but could prove to be a hot-hand down the stretch. He's under contract for 5 million next year, so if the Mets want to dump him, maybe the Brewers take Wilson and leverage that to keep Wheeler's price at "one less fringe prospect." But clearly at this point, Wilson does not fall in the "we'll include Turang but to do that will also need Justin Wilson in the deal" category (at least I wouldn't anticipate that).

I don’t think Stearns is going to get into a bidding war over anyone. Just not who he is. Quality starter, even a rental is out, imo. Under the radar move for a starter, maybe, but I don’t think so. How many starters has Stearns traded for since he’s been the boss? I can’t think of one.

He’s going bullpen, and he’s going rental. And it again, won’t be a pitcher that he has to outbid to land.

I mean we did trade for Gio Gonzalez just last deadline, so it's clear he's not allergic to the concept. Chase Anderson, too, was an established starter that Stearns got in trade.

We're likely to need at least one new starter next year so I wouldn't be stunned to see a deal for a guy who has some team control left. We don't have a lot of prospect capital but Stearns definitely seems willing to spend what he has...I can imagine some reshuffling of the major league roster with Arcia or Aguilar available as well.

I mean we did trade for Gio Gonzalez just last deadline, so it's clear he's not allergic to the concept. Chase Anderson, too, was an established starter that Stearns got in trade.

We're likely to need at least one new starter next year so I wouldn't be stunned to see a deal for a guy who has some team control left. We don't have a lot of prospect capital but Stearns definitely seems willing to spend what he has...I can imagine some reshuffling of the major league roster with Arcia or Aguilar available as well.

That’s two more than I could think of, so yes he’s done it before, we’ll see what happens at the deadline.

I think Wheeler is the starter I'd go after. I do worry a bit about the price. I'd currently value him at 12.6 million in surplus value (projecting him as being good for 1.7 WAR over the remainder of the season). I'd be willing to do something like:

I could see bidding easily go above those levels. I would not be willing to deal Turang in a Wheeler deal, unless I was also getting a real quality reliever from the Mets. I think the price on Edwin Diaz would be sky-high just based on what the Mets paid to get him, so I would have to assume he is out. Zack Wheeler and Seth Lugo would be great, but the price including Lugo would be huge because he has 3.5 years of team control left...so this is probably not realistic. The Mets do have Justin Wilson in the pen, he's been hurt most of this year but was a hot name a couple years ago. He has also had some ugly peripherals recently with walks, but could prove to be a hot-hand down the stretch. He's under contract for 5 million next year, so if the Mets want to dump him, maybe the Brewers take Wilson and leverage that to keep Wheeler's price at "one less fringe prospect." But clearly at this point, Wilson does not fall in the "we'll include Turang but to do that will also need Justin Wilson in the deal" category (at least I wouldn't anticipate that).

I would not give up any of Lutz, Ashby or Henry for a 2 month rental in Wheeler. We're talking about three guys who I would put in our Top 10 prospect list right now. Are you telling me that it's really going to take that much to get a 2-month SP rental at the deadline this year? If so, count me in as a "strong pass" on a guy like Wheeler. The only way I might consider it is if you could assure me that we'd be able to re-sign him in the offseason for a team friendly type deal.

How is 2 months of a 4.7 ERA starter worth those prospects? I know you have your ways of coming up with these calcs, that just seems like a crazy price to me. I'll also at baseball reference has him at 1 WAR this season so far, not sure how you project he'll post 1.7 WAR in less starts unless you're assuming he'll be way better in the 2nd half.

How is 2 months of a 4.7 ERA starter worth those prospects? I know you have your ways of coming up with these calcs, that just seems like a crazy price to me. I'll also at baseball reference has him at 1 WAR this season so far, not sure how you project he'll post 1.7 WAR in less starts unless you're assuming he'll be way better in the 2nd half.

According to Joel Sherman - it sounds like the Mets have engaged the Red Sox on talks regarding Wheeler already. So, it's probably not worth even going down this road, as we'll just have to overpay at this point to get him. And, as I mentioned above - I'm just not on board with doing that, and I hope Stearns isn't either.

The Mets GM (Van Wagenen) has proven to be a doofus; so I wouldn't rule anything out. In fact the whole Cano/Diaz for Jay Bruce and Swarzak Plus hasn't worked out for the Mets. Cano has sucked, Diaz has gotten pounded. The Mariners already traded off Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak, so they basically dumped a bunch of salary on the Mets for a couple of good looking prospects albeit ones who are a few years off.

I don't really like those deals either, giving up anything of real value for a rental, but the answer to the first question is simply that he's not a 4.7 ERA starter. He's at 3.88 for his career, and this year he has the highest strikeout rate and lowest walk rate of his career while HR rate is only moderately up. His FB velocity is also the highest of his career. He's not helped by having one of the worst defenses in the league (30th by DRS, 28th by UZR) behind him, and I don't imagine that bullpen is doing him any favors either. So he's pitching a lot better than is reflected by his ERA. And as far as the Brewers go, him simply averaging 6.26 IP/start would do wonders for the bullpen even if it was at the current ERA. Which it likely won't be. He'd improve this rotation by a lot, no question about that. It's simply a matter of price.

I don’t think Stearns is going to get into a bidding war over anyone. Just not who he is.

Do you think we were the only bidder when we got Cain? Yelich?

Wheeler is no Manny Machado, I doubt such a bidding war for Wheeler happens.

I don’t think Stearns is going to get into a bidding war over anyone. Just not who he is.

It's more a case of Stearns having a price in mind and not exceeding it (Some agents have said as much) as a result of a bidding war. If the bidding starts at $65m and Stearns is willing to go to $80m he's probably OK with a bidding war. But if it starts at $80m he's not.

With starters being the hottest commodity there is in baseball, and with so few available at this year’s deadline, and reading about the Yankees among many others going hard after Wheeler, just not all that confident we’re going to land him.

I don't really like those deals either, giving up anything of real value for a rental, but the answer to the first question is simply that he's not a 4.7 ERA starter. He's at 3.88 for his career, and this year he has the highest strikeout rate and lowest walk rate of his career while HR rate is only moderately up. His FB velocity is also the highest of his career. He's not helped by having one of the worst defenses in the league (30th by DRS, 28th by UZR) behind him, and I don't imagine that bullpen is doing him any favors either. So he's pitching a lot better than is reflected by his ERA. And as far as the Brewers go, him simply averaging 6.26 IP/start would do wonders for the bullpen even if it was at the current ERA. Which it likely won't be. He'd improve this rotation by a lot, no question about that. It's simply a matter of price.

I think Wheeler's high ERA is partly due to the number of HRs (16) he's given up so far. He only allowed 14 HRs all of last year. He has had some problems pitching from the stretch. Still he's a 2 month rental. It would really depend on what the Mets would take to deal him.

I stand by that I don't think Wheeler is worth 1.7 WAR over the last 2 months. That said, I'm well aware the market will dictate price...and very likely a team will have to pay a premium in the given market. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it took that caliber of prospects to land Wheeler...I just think it would be an overpay from a value perspective.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to wonder if Stearns wishes he could go back in time a few months and make a harder push to bring Miley back? It just pains me to see him putting up solid numbers again this year (in the AL no less), and realizing how great he would look in this rotation right now. I know we thought we had things covered with Burnes, Freddy, Woodruff and perhaps even Jimmy coming back - but obviously only one of those guys has really panned out for us. And, to think Miley signed for just 1 year at 4.5M.

I have no idea if we even tried to make a run at Miley, but it sure would be nice to have a time-travel machine to go back and fix that mistake.

Wheeler is a pitcher that analytics guys will like. But 42% of his starts this year aren't good. Last year 31% of his starts weren't good but went on a tear the final 2 months to cut it to that 31%. The consistency hasn't been there. He's still a solid pitcher but I think whatever the Mets get for him will be in overpay relative to his performance and I'd personally shy away from him.

Yeah, this is my general feeling as well. I just do not want to overpay for someone like Wheeler, and with the dearth of available SP candidates at the deadline, I'm guessing that anyone with a pulse is going to cost way too much in terms of prospects. Some team is going to vastly overpay for a guy like Wheeler, and I'd prefer that it isn't the Brewers. With that said though - we need SP help, and I'm really not sure where that's going to come from? Do we go ahead and really overpay for a SP that has more team control (i.e. Matthew Boyd), or do we simply hope that Gio comes back healthy in the 2nd half and hope that someone in the grouping of Freddy, Houser, Jimmy or Burnes finds their way back into the rotation and gets things figured out?

Wheeler really likes to blow chunks a lot....but puts together a lot of really good starts at the same time. Kinda reminds me of Chris Archer. I didn't want to touch Archer with a 20 foot pole and Wheeler isn't much different.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Red Sox have begun preliminary discussions with the Mets involving a trade for starter Zack Wheeler.

The Red Sox aren't alone in their desire to possibly obtain Wheeler, as Sherman notes that as many as 10 teams have checked in on the 29-year-old right-hander. He's coming off a rough start Sunday against the Phillies, but Wheeler has posted an excellent 130/34 K/BB ratio over his 119 total innings this season. Boston needs help in the rotation, and a guy like Wheeler would certainly represent an upgrade.

Source: New York Post

Jul 9, 2019, 1:26 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yanks or red soxs will get him and not overpay for him watch.

Hard for them to overpay as neither organization has much minor league talent to begin with. Yankees...maybe a bit better than Milwaukee but certainly not significant. The Red Sox probably have the worst minor league system in baseball right now.

The five names I had heard as being most interested in Wheeler are the Red Sox, Yankees, Braves, Brewers and Cubs. The Braves are really the only team out of the bunch that has a significantly better minor league system than Milwaukee. If the Braves only have lukewarm interest, the Brewers easily have the prospects to compete with the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs.

Archived