Brewer Fanatic

What about Thames option

bork
Verified Member

The Braun thread made me think about Thames option next year. I believe $7.5 million vs $1 million buyout.

I've gone back and forth so many times on this since he signed. Now he's been pretty productive in a platoon role and with Aguilar and Shaw MIA and Moustakas and Grandal probably gone, they could use the bat. And no one knocking on the door at 1B. I think I'd pick up the option.

Of course they’ll pick it up. You can’t buy his production for 7.5 million dollars on a one year contract. If not to keep him on their roster to trade him to someone who wants him.

i agree,makes sense to pick it up, unless they upgrade the position at the trade deadline, which i doubt. The options are few. No-one in the minors knocking on the door. Moose is a FA. Jesus will be gone. No idea whats up with Shaw.

I could go either way on this one. I currently project Brewers payroll at 108 million if they pretty much keep everyone and don't keep Grandal/Moose. Nelson, Anderson, Aguilar, Thames, and Shaw...are some primary options of guys that have some chance to get cut to save $.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd say it's a no brainer, but the Brewers non-tendered Chris Carter. Big power/low average guys with little flexibility don't have a big market. I know Thames is hitting in the .270's now, but let's see where he finishes up.

I like Thames. I like him 4-5 days a week, and I like him especially if he never plays in the OF. I don't know if a 1B, platoon lefty .850-ish OPS guy like Thames is worth 7.5 million to a team like the Brewers. The problem is that they have nothing waiting in the wings and nothing on the roster as a sure replacement.

Archived