Brewer Fanatic

Does finding Hitting now become the #1 need

It might be what we need most this week, but I don't think Stearns works that way.

He'll add to the team, but it'll be whatever the market is undervaluing. Most likely, he'll get us an undervalued reliever with an outstanding groundball ratio vs the teams Milwaukee will face the rest of the way; or a versatile infielder with good OBP against pitchers now on NL Central teams. He'll look at the players with the most value unique to the Brewers remaining games.

Wish I could bring Stearns with me next time I need to buy a car.

It might be what we need most this week, but I don't think Stearns works that way.

He'll add to the team, but it'll be whatever the market is undervaluing. Most likely, he'll get us an undervalued reliever with an outstanding groundball ratio vs the teams Milwaukee will face the rest of the way; or a versatile infielder with good OBP against pitchers now on NL Central teams. He'll look at the players with the most value unique to the Brewers remaining games.

I don't think Stearns is looking at guys who have good splits vs NLC teams. That's not a great way to build a team. You're going to have either a limited group of candidates with decent sample sizes or you're going to have small sample sizes you're going off of.

As for the question, I have no clue what they need. I'd give it another 2 weeks because as of right now this whole team looks bad. Though that happens when a team is struggling.

I don't think Stearns is looking at guys who have good splits vs NLC teams. That's not a great way to build a team. You're going to have either a limited group of candidates with decent sample sizes or you're going to have small sample sizes you're going off of.

As for the question, I have no clue what they need. I'd give it another 2 weeks because as of right now this whole team looks bad. Though that happens when a team is struggling.

2-3 bats needed. 2 pen arms needed. Maybe some of the bats and arms can come internally(Dubon,Grisham,Freitas,Devon Williams,Perdomo). Cain’s lack of production needs replaced, Arcia’s lack of production too. Pina another and obviously Aguilar. Then the 2 pen arms to replace a hopefully traded Hader, but if he’s stil here, then Burnes can start the month of August in AAA, then recalled for the rotation or pen.

This terrible slump has magnified the lack of tolerable plate approaches on this team, and some young,and, or fresh bats are needed.

2-3 bats needed. 2 pen arms needed. Maybe some of the bats and arms can come internally(Dubon,Grisham,Freitas,Devon Williams,Perdomo). Cain’s lack of production needs replaced, Arcia’s lack of production too. Pina another and obviously Aguilar. Then the 2 pen arms to replace a hopefully traded Hader, but if he’s stil here, then Burnes can start the month of August in AAA, then recalled for the rotation or pen.

This terrible slump has magnified the lack of tolerable plate approaches on this team, and some young,and, or fresh bats are needed.

I think the two biggest needs are a leadoff hitter and a SS who can get on base. Cain's thumb is a huge problem and has limited his effectiveness. Right now he is hurting the team. Arcia's OBP is .296 and needs to improve. He's forgotten how to hit to RF and is taking the big HR swing every time up. I'm fine with Pina as a backup catcher. His avg. isn't going to be great because he plays once a week. Aguilar shoud be DFA'd. He's a worthless bat on the bench. Dubon should come up for Saladino. Saladino is 1-19 with an astounding 10 Ks. Dubon couldn't do much worse at SS.

This is a tough question to answer for obvious reasons. Can Burnes, Chacin and the rest of the boys in the band continue to struggle for the entire year? I don't think so but I don't think I'd be willing to bet a sizable amount on that. Just not sure we have the prospect firepower to make a meaningful improvement in the pitching department. Hiura is untouchable in my opinion and nobody else really jumps off the page. Yes there are some nice pieces, but certainly no one like him.

As far a bats go, again, can Shaw, Aguilar and Cain continue to struggle they way that they have? Will Arcia get his head out of his ass and quit swinging for the fences? The glove is only so valuable when you're killing your value with no offense. Great and horrible equals average. Lots of average guys our there. Moose, Yelich and Grandal can only take us so far.

I hate to say it, but I think you need to check with Moose and Grandal to see about extentions. If they are unwilling to commit, DS may have to trade them. You can't just let them walk. Reload and start over next year, because I don't think a serious run is in the cards this year.

For a bat they are good at 2b, 3b, Rf, c for sure. At 1b I think they are good unless you want a right handed bat there. OF all depends on Cain and Braun. Gamel provides great depth there but if those two guys are going to continue to struggle we might need another OF bat. SS is obviously a weak spot but honestly we could easily live with it if our OFers were hitting. If Cain was close to last year a lineup of Cain, Yelich, Grandal, Moose, Huira, Thames, Braun/Gamel, Arcia is more than good enough to win games. Grandal should not be leading off.

As to pitching to me they are a starter and reliever away. If they had another starter Knebel type this bullpen would be in much better shape. Albers and Jeffress become 7th inning guys. Claudio just pitches to lefties. Burnes, Peralta, Houser provide multiple inning options. Guerra is there as well. Starting rotation of Woodruff, other starter, Chacin, Davies, Anderson gives them enough quality starts to win. Maybe the other starter is Gio or Nelson.

So a right handed bat that can play first base and LF would be great (if only this could be Braun). A starting pitchers who pitches like a 2/3. An 8th inning guy. This team looks a lot better with those. So this team looks a lot better if Cain is healthy and one of Braun/Aguilar is hitting, if Knebel doesnt get hurt and either Peralta or Burnes doesnt implode

NL runs per game = 8th

NL starter's ERA = 12th

NL reliever's ERA = 6th

The rotation still looks like the biggest question mark. Total unknown as to how Houser will do moving forward. It looks like any rebound by Chacin could be offset by a decline by Davies. Anderson = 5.40 ERA in his last 6 starts and he wasn't exactly facing juggernaut offenses during that stretch. Even the staff "ace," Woodruff, is coming of a month of June where his ERA was 4.78.

While it's nice to be encouraged by some of the pitching lately, we have to recognize that the Brewers have been facing a bunch of bad offenses. Reds = 13th in NL in runs scored. Pirates = 10th in the NL in runs scored. Seattle = 5th in AL in runs scored. San Diego = 11th in NL in runs scored. San Francisco = 14th in NFL in runs scored. Astros = 8th in AL in runs scored. Marlins = 15th in NL in runs scored. 27 of last 32 games have been against below average to flat out bad offensive teams.

I'd still be a heavy, heavy, heavy lean to go out and get pitching, pitching and more pitching. Especially when considering the type of offensive upgrades the Brewers might be looking for. Shortstops and/or a rental centerfielder that can actually hit. 1B/LF/3B that can hit...those things generally aren't that hard to find. But good hitting shortstops and centerfielders, those guys can be pretty expensive.

I don't think replacing Pina is an answer. He has 19 starts and we've played 88 games. He has 11 pinch hit attempts this year. Whoever is the backup catcher isn't seeing consistent PT with Grandal, nor should they, so expecting someone at a notoriously bad hitting position to start once per week and barely pinch hit to produce a quality stat line is unrealistic. It's more about defense at that point. Plus the analytics suggest Pina is unlucky this year (barrel and hard hit % up, BB rate up, BABIP significantly down plus the eye test says he's been having quality ABs too).

Cain's thumb is clearly an issue, especially given the type of hitter he is, but there's only so many spots to upgrade so you can't do anything about it other than to give Gamel some of his PT or keep him out of the leadoff spot until he figures out a way to be solid playing through it. I'm more than comfortable with Saladino replacing Perez but Dubon should have been up starting for July as if he was performing then Arcia could be moved for a piece that can help the MLB team given he still has plenty of value at his position. Even if Dubon has to replace Saladino so be it but Dubon needs to be up given his plus bat potential. I keep Aguilar too. The biggest issue is his power hasn't been there. Since April 29 he's posted a 260/378 BA/OBP and since May 1 it's been 237/367. He has an excellent BB rate and OBP but he's just not hitting for XB. Hopefully that changes in the 2nd half as he's plenty capable of it.

The current problem isn't a lack of offensive talent. They're just slumping as an entire unit at the same time. I think Hiura ends up in the leadoff spot actually with Yelich, Moose, Grandal following (or Braun mixed in between lefties if need to break it up).

NL runs per game = 8th

NL starter's ERA = 12th

NL reliever's ERA = 6th

The rotation still looks like the biggest question mark. Total unknown as to how Houser will do moving forward. It looks like any rebound by Chacin could be offset by a decline by Davies. Anderson = 5.40 ERA in his last 6 starts and he wasn't exactly facing juggernaut offenses during that stretch. Even the staff "ace," Woodruff, is coming of a month of June where his ERA was 4.78.

While it's nice to be encouraged by some of the pitching lately, we have to recognize that the Brewers have been facing a bunch of bad offenses. Reds = 13th in NL in runs scored. Pirates = 10th in the NL in runs scored. Seattle = 5th in AL in runs scored. San Diego = 11th in NL in runs scored. San Francisco = 14th in NFL in runs scored. Astros = 8th in AL in runs scored. Marlins = 15th in NL in runs scored. 27 of last 32 games have been against below average to flat out bad offensive teams.

I'd still be a heavy, heavy, heavy lean to go out and get pitching, pitching and more pitching. Especially when considering the type of offensive upgrades the Brewers might be looking for. Shortstops and/or a rental centerfielder that can actually hit. 1B/LF/3B that can hit...those things generally aren't that hard to find. But good hitting shortstops and centerfielders, those guys can be pretty expensive.

We’ll know soon, what the crew already believes, that Houser is gonna be a stud in the rotation, he’s way ahead of Burnes/peralta with the command of his devastating 4 pitch mix. A couple of RENTAL pen arms should be reasonable prospect wise. The bat and or bats,rental and high salaried, to keep prospect capitol down, should be the preferred route.

Rotation arm should be avoided unless rental(Wheeler) or tor(Bauer).

Rental Rental, high salary.

We’ll know soon, what the crew already believes, that Houser is gonna be a stud in the rotation, he’s way ahead of Burnes/peralta with the command of his devastating 4 pitch mix.

Disagree. Houser's a pen arm; he's merely filling in as a rotation arm because he's capable of that.

Saying we need more hitting feels lazy to me. You should be looking more at a position than simply saying "offense is bad, get better offense". With pitching, it's either starting or relieving...and there are plenty of candidates for both starters and relievers that could be shifted to another role or sent to AAA. For hitting, you should have specific positions in mind you think we can improve. My deadline opinion, 2 relievers and Justin Smoak. If there's a SS option to replace Saladino that is a clear upgrade, I'm open to it pending cost. Those are what we should be looking at in my opinion.

I think a platoon partner for Braun makes sense that also helps at 1B. Castellanos makes the most sense depending on cost.

Arcia or Dubon at the #8 or 9 spot in the order is fine don't need to upgrade there. Pina is fine as the backup catcher.

The biggest hole is at 1B and LF which can be covered by 1 move if done right.

The next biggest hole is at starting pitching but that is going to cost way too much. Relief pitching is probably the best bang for your buck here.

I don't think replacing Pina is an answer. He has 19 starts and we've played 88 games. He has 11 pinch hit attempts this year. Whoever is the backup catcher isn't seeing consistent PT with Grandal, nor should they, so expecting someone at a notoriously bad hitting position to start once per week and barely pinch hit to produce a quality stat line is unrealistic. It's more about defense at that point. Plus the analytics suggest Pina is unlucky this year (barrel and hard hit % up, BB rate up, BABIP significantly down plus the eye test says he's been having quality ABs too).

Cain's thumb is clearly an issue, especially given the type of hitter he is, but there's only so many spots to upgrade so you can't do anything about it other than to give Gamel some of his PT or keep him out of the leadoff spot until he figures out a way to be solid playing through it. I'm more than comfortable with Saladino replacing Perez but Dubon should have been up starting for July as if he was performing then Arcia could be moved for a piece that can help the MLB team given he still has plenty of value at his position. Even if Dubon has to replace Saladino so be it but Dubon needs to be up given his plus bat potential. I keep Aguilar too. The biggest issue is his power hasn't been there. Since April 29 he's posted a 260/378 BA/OBP and since May 1 it's been 237/367. He has an excellent BB rate and OBP but he's just not hitting for XB. Hopefully that changes in the 2nd half as he's plenty capable of it.

The current problem isn't a lack of offensive talent. They're just slumping as an entire unit at the same time. I think Hiura ends up in the leadoff spot actually with Yelich, Moose, Grandal following (or Braun mixed in between lefties if need to break it up).

You're right about Cain and until he can get healthy, Gamel might be a better option. I don't like Hiura at the leadoff because he Ks too much. Right now he's at 35% K rate. I'd rather see Grandal in an RBI spot so right now CC has little to choose from at the leadoff spot.

I think a platoon partner for Braun makes sense that also helps at 1B. Castellanos makes the most sense depending on cost.

Arcia or Dubon at the #8 or 9 spot in the order is fine don't need to upgrade there. Pina is fine as the backup catcher.

The next biggest hole is at starting pitching but that is going to cost way too much. Relief pitching is probably the best bang for your buck here.

Castellanos is a real butcher in the OF. Other than Kris Davis he might be the next worst OF in the game. Anything he contributed with the bat would be given away with his glove. He's basically a DH.Thames has been doing a pretty decent job at 1B the last 3-4 weeks. I don't think 1B is a position of real concern against RH pitching. LF-CF-SS seem to be the biggest problems going forward.

I disagree on 1b and LF being holes. Braun as a LF is 287/338/816 and Gamel as a LF is 305/411/874, where a good chunk of his playing time comes from. Obviously the RF spot leads the team in everything but the LF spot has the 2nd highest BA on team, 3rd highest OBP (3pts behind C) and 4th in OPS (12pts behind 2b and 28pts behind C) - all of those rankings coming directly behind all our AS players.

The 3b spot for the team looks poor given Shaw but with Moose there now it's covered. The only other offensive holes are CF, which they'll do nothing about although they absolutely should if Cain's thumb is going to be this way the rest of the season, and SS, which can potentially be upgraded internally with Dubon so no point in spending capital there.

Thames as a 1b is 298/389/978 taking more than half the PA at that spot. He actually needs to play more than he is as roughly 70% of games are vs righties and he's been very good in his limited time vs lefties this year. If Aguilar can get his power stroke going this month I think they sit tight otherwise I could see them acquiring someone to handle those lefties in his place.

The pen needs an upgrade as well as the rotation (rental) but overall I don't think this team is that far off from being where they need to be from a talent perspective.

You're right about Cain and until he can get healthy, Gamel might be a better option. I don't like Hiura at the leadoff because he Ks too much. Right now he's at 35% K rate. I'd rather see Grandal in an RBI spot so right now CC has little to choose from at the leadoff spot.

Hiura's K rate was the only negative I could think of with him going to the leadoff spot but I want to roll with it anyway. He's a contact bat and his K rate will drop the more he plays. He's an impact bat and with Yelich being a lefty in the 2 spot I'd like to see Hiura go leadoff dropping Grandal back down to a run producing spot. Plus Hiura has better speed in the leadoff spot than Grandal.

I'd honestly lead off Thames. Good OBP. I also think Counsell needs to consider an option I always used when I was Coach of an Adult amateur team. Instead of basically punting the 7 and 8 spots in the order(Pitcher at 9 as well), I would "hide" my lessor hitters between two of my better hitters, to minimize the 7-8-9 spots in the order being automatic outs. I would "hide" Arcia/Saladino between Moose and Grandal for instance, and right now, I'd hide Cain between say Braun and Hiura. Now, I had the advantage of being able to utilize the DH, so it made it easier to do, but I still think it needs to be considered.

I think if I'm CC right now, my LU would look something like this:

1. Thames

2. Yelich

3. Grandal

4. Moose

5. Hiura

6. Arcia

7. Braun

8. Pitcher

9. Cain

Maybe moving Cain down to 9th, and Braun 7th POTENTIALLY gives you a little more chance for production down there. If Cain turns it around, then he's another leadoff guy at the bottom of the order. Yes, I have all of my lefties ta the top, in order, and all my RH bats at the bottom in order..but that doesn't matter to me. What's more important to me right now, is "hiding" the weaker hitters, which I think this lineup does. To me, this is a very good LU against RH pitchers...against LH Pitchers I'd switch it up.

Castellanos is a real butcher in the OF. Other than Kris Davis he might be the next worst OF in the game. Anything he contributed with the bat would be given away with his glove. He's basically a DH.Thames has been doing a pretty decent job at 1B the last 3-4 weeks. I don't think 1B is a position of real concern against RH pitching. LF-CF-SS seem to be the biggest problems going forward.

Castellanos is playing RF which is normally a harder spot to play of the corner OF and his uzr/150 is -6.8 in RF while Braun's uzr/150 in LF is -6.2. Going from Braun to Castellanos in LF to me is not a concern. I believe that Castellanos may improve on his defense in the OF if he were to move to LF in Milwaukee compared to RF in Detroit. Castellanos offense will more than make up for his defense in LF. Braun moving to a platoon spot with Thames will improve 1B and LF at the same time. Offensively it adds another #4 or #5 type of a hitter to hit either behind Moustakas or Thames.

Castellanos would immediately become the 5th best hitter on the team. His improvement over Braun and Braun's improvement over Aguilar would be a significant jump in production.

I really don't care how much your leadoff hitter K's. I think it's least important leading off than just about anywhere else in the lineup. As long as he can get on base at a decent clip, I don't really care about his K's.

We’ll know soon, what the crew already believes, that Houser is gonna be a stud in the rotation, he’s way ahead of Burnes/peralta with the command of his devastating 4 pitch mix.

Disagree. Houser's a pen arm; he's merely filling in as a rotation arm because he's capable of that.

We don't know if Houser is a pen arm or a starter yet. I feel pretty confident saying he's not an ace, [sarcasm]though that'd be 6 we'd have if he were[/sarcasm]. But he DOES have a pretty nice 4 pitch mix(not devastating, but solid). Good velocity. He's got a BABIP against him of .425 in his stats and he's only started 4 games and has started throughout his minor league career.

I'd leave him out there for the time being. Otherwise, given the options, just go back to Burnes and hope he figures it out. Without a couple of these guys just turning things around, the Brewers are gonna have to get lucky in order to turn it around. This team can't afford to go out and replace Cain, Aguilar, Shaw, Burnes and others who have performed this far under expectations. Chacin another.

I still think Aguilar and Shaw will be good players in the future, but I don't know if they're going to do much this year. Sure doesn't look like it.

And we don't have a farm system that is going to net big returns. Turang should be untouchable for any rental. I doubt the Brewers move him unless it's for something really franchise altering.

So...mostly I think we just have to hope this team starts playing better and playing together.

We don't know if Houser is a pen arm or a starter yet. I feel pretty confident saying he's not an ace, [sarcasm]though that'd be 6 we'd have if he were[/sarcasm]. But he DOES have a pretty nice 4 pitch mix(not devastating, but solid). Good velocity. He's got a BABIP against him of .425 in his stats and he's only started 4 games and has started throughout his minor league career.

I'd leave him out there for the time being. Otherwise, given the options, just go back to Burnes and hope he figures it out. Without a couple of these guys just turning things around, the Brewers are gonna have to get lucky in order to turn it around. This team can't afford to go out and replace Cain, Aguilar, Shaw, Burnes and others who have performed this far under expectations. Chacin another.

I still think Aguilar and Shaw will be good players in the future, but I don't know if they're going to do much this year. Sure doesn't look like it.

And we don't have a farm system that is going to net big returns. Turang should be untouchable for any rental. I doubt the Brewers move him unless it's for something really franchise altering.

So...mostly I think we just have to hope this team starts playing better and playing together.

This site might not know if he’s a starter, but the brewers do. At least you are willing to leave him as a starter, unlike this board, who want him bullpenned. CC said he’s a starter moving forward. Other than maybe an innings limit, when he’ll probably then go to the pen.

“Nice” “Solid” is underrating his 4 pitch mix, imo. Chris Welch, former big league pitcher and color commentator for the reds tv broadcast, used the phrase “devastating 4 pitch mix” and “exploding”2 seam with “tremendous tailing action”, “Great command, painting the corners all night”,. Obviously, impressed. I agree. Underrated is he.

Not sure I agree with your comment on our farm not being able to net big returns. I believe Toby, when he says our farm is underrated. He knows more about our farm imo, than any one person, outside of the brewers themselves. I think Stearns has a myriad of options at his disposal, and could decide he wants to go big at the deadline, although that’s not his M/O. Under the radar moves for a pen arm or two and a bat, is my prediction.

In Houser's starts his "devastating 4 pitch mix" has yielded: 11 IPs - 17 hits - 11 ERs including 3 HRs. If anything he is overrated. He is another Burnes; good stuff but can't keep the other team off the scoreboard. With Nelson, Burnes, Peralta, and now Houser getting smoked, Gio hurt, Chacin and Anderson so unpredictable, CC has limited options. He has to throw somebody other than Davies and Woody out there to start games. Unlike the others, Houser did well in the bullpen and right now he could heip stabilize a pen that has become a mess.

Archived