Brewer Fanatic

Is 2020 Braun’s last year in Milwaukee?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, never been a big Braun fan. Not because of the PED stuff, I assume all MLB players are cheating but not yet caught. He has been dealing with core muscle issues for at least a decade. His skills have been in a steady decline for a while. Might as well move on.

He has made a lot of money and I think he has always been cognoscenti of the value of money so I assume he is well taken care of in that respect. He has no reason to come back unless it is for a ring.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think it's more about the team not being to keen to bring Braun back rather than the other way around. Or at least, they're not wanting to bring him back in a role or salary that he'll want, in which case he's happy to retire. Ryan and the team are both keeping the door open and not burning any bridges, but I expect him to retire. And I'm perfectly allright with that. Time to move on.

Unless this is all just a way for him to avoid most of ST, which we know he dislikes.

He's just going to wait till after spring training so he doesn't have to do it.

Braun honestly isn't good enough or versatile enough at this point in his career to just skip spring training, show up on opening day and expect a roster spot to be saved for him.

Braun would actually be a very useful addition to the current team as a bench bat and backup OF/1B who hits lefties very well. I'd love to see him back in that role. Unfortunately, I doubt he would be willing to bother for the type of salary that role warrants.

Braun honestly isn't good enough or versatile enough at this point in his career to just skip spring training, show up on opening day and expect a roster spot to be saved for him.

So say you and your subjective analysis. The facts are the last three years Braun’s slash line is .265/.323/.488 with an OPS+ of 110. 50 homeruns in 305 games. He’s still an above average slugger, and if you’ve followed the Brewers closely in the last 13 years you’d know it’s been ages since Braun played much in spring training anyways.

If this is end for Braun, I’m sad to see him go. Certainly the best player they’ve had in the last 25 years, and arguably the best player they ever had.

So say you and your subjective analysis. The facts are the last three years Braun’s slash line is .265/.323/.488 with an OPS+ of 110. 50 homeruns in 305 games. He’s still an above average slugger, and if you’ve followed the Brewers closely in the last 13 years you’d know it’s been ages since Braun played much in spring training anyways.

If this is end for Braun, I’m sad to see him go. Certainly the best player they’ve had in the last 25 years, and arguably the best player they ever had.

Uh yeah, it's all subjective, didn't know I had to disclaim it with "in my opinion".

A 110 OPS+ doesn't get you far when you're 37 and don't offer much else in terms of defensive or versatility. Brad Miller is averaging a 114 OPS+ the last 3 years and he's still looking for work despite being a heck of a lot more versatile than Braun.

Fact of the matter is they still have to plan their roster and look to the 2021 season and they can't just let Braun decide in early April whether or not he plans to return while still guaranteeing that he's a part of their plans. Maybe they could if there was a DH this year, but the truth is that really limits the extent to which they need him.

I doubt that the Brewers have a ton of interest in bringing Braun back for another year, but if they do, it certainly will be on the Brewers' terms as far as a salary goes.

And Braun plays every spring training when healthy. It may not be more than 25 PAs or so and it may not be early on but he plays. Pretty much the same way it goes for every veteran particularly one that requires a great deal of load management.

Obviously Braun has certainly been one of the all-time Brewer greats but as with anyone the time comes for it to end. And I believe both sides believe that said time has come.

My guess is that he’ll remain unsigned but not retired in case the Brewers are in contention for a playoff push and then they could sign him for an epic September.

I think this is his plan but not just for the Brewers. If he's only committing to play a couple months I would think he would be open to playing just about anywhere.

My guess is that he’ll remain unsigned but not retired in case the Brewers are in contention for a playoff push and then they could sign him for an epic September.

I think you nailed it. He stays in shape all year..-if Brewers are in contention at the trade deadline, need a super sub, and cannot bring one in....enter Braun.

Braun coming in late to help the Crew to a WS win.

This team would have to get by the Dodgers and Padres. no way, not a chance in hell this Brewers team sniffs the World Series. Sad to say it...

I think we are back to hoping for a play-off spot. Anything after that, even one play-off win is just gravy.

This team as it sits now, can not compete with LA and SD, it is just silliness to think otherwise. Financially, we simply have no shot.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This team as it sits now, can not compete with LA and SD, it is just silliness to think otherwise. Financially, we simply have no shot.

"This team as it sits now, can not compete with NY and BOS, it is just silliness to think otherwise. Financially, we simply have no shot." -DevilRaysFan.net

On February 10th 2018 did you think the Brewers could compete with the Cubs or Dodgers? I'm guessing you didn't but that didn't stop them from beating the Cubs for the division & going to G7 of the NLCS with LA.

So you guys think that we can knock off LA?

Ok, I hope you are right, and I like the fact that you are able to convince yourselves we have a chance, but I disagree..

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Ok, I hope you are right, and I like the fact that you are able to convince yourselves we have a chance, but I disagree..

It's February. Every team technically has a chance. If you've already given up on them, why bother even following?

Washington was a wildcard team in 2019 that was a a few outs away from being out of the playoffs completely, and THEY knocked off LA. Games are won on the field in October, not on paper in February.

Why do the Brewers have to knock them off? What if they lose before then? Big payrolls lose all the time in the playoffs. Case in point, the Dodgers themselves. 1 WS title since the 80s and probably around $1 billion spent on payroll in the last 5 years.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Any team can beat any other team in one series. The Dodgers are the favorites to win it all, but "the best team on paper" rarely ends up winning the World Series. The Brewers are long-shots to win the World Series, but they still have a shot. If Burnes and Woodruff continue their progression, they match up pretty well in a series, and a strong bullpen is always a plus.

Brewer fans certainly have more to be optimistic about right now than they have for most of their years of existence. I don't get all the negativity on this board this offseason.

As to Braun, I don't think the Brewers have a big enough need for his services to merit them paying him what it would take to get him to play. I'm kind of surprised that some other team hasn't given him a decent offer, as he still has skills. The Brewers just have three starting OF, so without the DH it doesn't make sense to spend big money on Braun. That money would be better spent on a third baseman or maybe even another starting pitcher.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived