Brewer Fanatic

Is 2020 Braun’s last year in Milwaukee?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, if $3.5 million was too much for Gyorko, then Braun would have to sign for like $2-$3 million to be back. At this point I’m assuming he’s gone.

I think this is probably correct.

Look at the really reasonable options around the league that are being declined.

If these guys aren't worth a few million, what's Braun worth right now?

I think DS probably tells Braun he can do 2M or so with some incentives, but that's it. That's an enormous humbling haircut on Braun's salary, and I doubt he will be willing to come back for that. So I think it's probably over.

DS will make a logical decision, not an emotional one.

The $4M buyout definitely helps the scenario. Say they are able to offer him a 1yr-$4M with escalators. Now you’re looking at $8M+ if things go right. That might entice him. I also think it depends on the covid situation. Like TomH mentioned, he doesn’t want to comeback to another situation like this past season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To me the $4M buyout doesn't really affect anything in him coming back or not. It is a sunk cost regardless of whether he returns or doesn't. Anything they sign him for is independent of that buyout.

I meant from his perspective on coming back for a season. He could look at it as I’m getting $4M no matter what but if they offered him $4M to comeback, he could look at it like he’s being paid $8M to play next season which isn’t a huge slap in the face compared to what he’s been making. For the Brewers, yeah the $4M doesn’t matter because they pay it no matter what.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can't see Braun playing for any teams outside the Brewers, Dodgers and Marlins. Maybe Angels, Giants or A's. But he has pretty much always been steadfast that it's Brewers, California or Miami. That's it. So if none of those teams are interested, he probably hangs it up.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I’m not confident the money will really matter. Braun never seemed big on the money aspect both times he signed his contract...he has also made over $150mil in his career. $1mil vs. $5mil...I don’t know that will change his mind.

Either he wants to play or doesn’t. Either we want him back or don’t.

I’m not confident the money will really matter. Braun never seemed big on the money aspect both times he signed his contract...he has also made over $150mil in his career. $1mil vs. $5mil...I don’t know that will change his mind.

Either he wants to play or doesn’t. Either we want him back or don’t.

Maybe, but the money matters in terms of perceived respect to these guys. It takes a lot of humility for a player to go from 20M a year to 1M.

If he wants to play, I think he will do it for next to nothing. He has plenty of money and is a smart guy. He knows what his reputation is. Coming back for one more year because "he owes it to the fans" would be one last mea culpa on his part. That's IF he wants to play, which I'm not sure he does. Most of MKE loves him regardless.

I think I recall haudricourt saying something along the lines of he knows for sure Braun won't want to do another covid season. So could be a bit of a waiting game to see how things look in a few more months and that could make the decision for him if it's going to be another really weird year. With no DH though I'd guess this was it though.

I think for Braun to be a Brewer in 2021 then there will have to be a NL DH. It’s my understanding that the only other teams he’d want to play for are So Cal teams because of his desire to stay close to home.

I don’t think his health would really permit him to play any other position other than DH. His back is a mess and every so often he has to have that cryo treatment on the nerve in his thumb. He’s not someone I’d rely on as a full time player and I’d really like to see what Ben Gamel could do as an everyday player in a Brewers Uni.

I’d really like to see him retire as a career Brewers

Archived