Brewer Fanatic

Is 2020 Braun’s last year in Milwaukee?

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a reminder that there is a mutual option for 2021 for the brewers and ryan braun.

That will not be exercised by The Brewers.

If he comes back it will be at a significant salary reduction

Depends. If DH in play and he actually wants to play, they might. They’re lacking quality batters. He’s still one that could be fine in DH role. Plus they’re on the hook for $4M no matter what and it’s a one year commitment which the Brewers like to do.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The 'vibe' seems to be this was it. I'll throw it out that my guess is if there is DH he comes back, if not he calls it a day. I'd also guess they find an in between number on the contract if so, not the full opt in number.

i also don't think he'll play anywhere else

I would hope this was his last year, unless Mark wants to increase payroll. Even with a team friendly deal, that money is better spent elsewhere.

I’m very grateful to Ryan Braun. He provided years of great entertainment and had some of the most clutch hits in franchise history. He also took the risk of sacrificing his legacy to help himself but also help his team. He played with fire and his MVP level years were absolutely fantastic. However, it’s time to wish him well and move on...

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Based on the other hitters on the team though I'm not really sure you'd do better though. Probably pretty unarguable he was a top 3 hitter on the team this year, possibly higher when healthy.

That says more about the roster than it does about a 37 year old who cannot stay healthy.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Based on the other hitters on the team though I'm not really sure you'd do better though. Probably pretty unarguable he was a top 3 hitter on the team this year, possibly higher when healthy.

That says more about the roster than it does about a 37 year old who cannot stay healthy.

Yes, it does. Braun's bat was average at best in 2020 and he still has trouble staying on the field. That .281 OBP is not something you're going to pay $11M for. He hit better than most of his teammates, but that was not saying much in 2020.

Zero chance they exercise his option. Does anyone really think Braun would get $11M a year as a free agent right now?

Some chance that he's back on a smaller deal. We don't have better options knocking down the door right now.

I love Braun in spite of his past issues. Fact of the matter is though is that he can't stay healthy. IF there is a DH next year, that is the only chance of him coming back to Milwaukee and it'll have to be a very discounted price. He's just not available to play enough to justify giving him a lot of money. In addition, he has no spot unless he can play 1B and I think they already decided that's not gonna happen, otherwise he would have played there this year. If they can sign him for $2-3 million, great. But with what the economics of what baseball is gonna be next year with all the losses this year, I don't even know if that's feasible.

I love Braun in spite of his past issues. Fact of the matter is though is that he can't stay healthy. IF there is a DH next year, that is the only chance of him coming back to Milwaukee and it'll have to be a very discounted price. He's just not available to play enough to justify giving him a lot of money. In addition, he has no spot unless he can play 1B and I think they already decided that's not gonna happen, otherwise he would have played there this year. If they can sign him for $2-3 million, great. But with what the economics of what baseball is gonna be next year with all the losses this year, I don't even know if that's feasible.

I think if you can get him for 2-3 million you definitely do it I think. Even with the financial implications. I'm sure they have a better idea of what exactly is going on with his back though and if they believe he can give them ~400-450 healthy PA's, that's worth it as a DH/1B.

I'd imagine he'd be asking for a 1/8 type deal and if he doesn't get it, he'll retire. Maybe he even comes back later next year if the Brewers have another Smoak like situation. Either way, I'm guessing he's done as a Brewer.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'm sure he wants to go somewhere else and give it one last shot with a team that actually has a chance to win the World Series.

Based on what? The Dodgers sure as hell don't want or need him. The Angels aren't a playoff team and if they were, they're STILL starting Pujols at 1st so Ohtani can start.

I don't think he's going to go out to the East Coast suddenly.

Maybe Oakland. We have a pretty good idea that IF he plays it'll be Cali or maybe AZ.

So of the teams that could or would want him, the Brewers have likely as good of a shot as any of making a WS run.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I think if you can get him for 2-3 million you definitely do it I think. Even with the financial implications. I'm sure they have a better idea of what exactly is going on with his back though and if they believe he can give them ~400-450 healthy PA's, that's worth it as a DH/1B.

I'd imagine he'd be asking for a 1/8 type deal and if he doesn't get it, he'll retire. Maybe he even comes back later next year if the Brewers have another Smoak like situation. Either way, I'm guessing he's done as a Brewer.

I’ve seen a few people mention the 2-3 mil salary be brought up. Why would he play for less than the buyout for 4 mil? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

I’ve seen a few people mention the 2-3 mil salary be brought up. Why would he play for less than the buyout for 4 mil? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

He already would have banked the buyout. So the 2-3 million would essentially mean the Brewers are paying him $6-7 million in 2021, which seems like a fair amount.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't like sentiment in sports too much... But I'd pay Braun 6-7 mil to give him the opportunity to dh for a year and have a proper send-off season with the fans. He's been a huge part of Milwaukee for 15 years and sending him out after this season seems anti climatic.

I think 1yr-$10M gets it done if theirs a DH. That’d be an extra $6M on top of what’s already owed with his contract. Heck, if he wants the extra $5M, put in escalators to get him there if he performs and plays a lot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don’t think he is terribly motivated to play another year. The way he made it sound was that he was going to retire before COVID made this season kind of lame. I don’t think he plays anywhere other than Milwaukee. I don’t see him going elsewhere to “try and get a ring” because if that was remotely important he wouldn’t have wasted his entire career in a place like Milwaukee. We would probably have to promise a starting spot somewhere and at least $5mil (plus he gets the $4mil buyout).

Maybe money wouldn’t be any issue, but us wanting him and us having a spot would be.

I have no interest in paying Braun millions of dollars to DH in his age 37 season when he's coming off a season with an OPS+ of 101, wRC+ of 99, and oWAR of 0.0 (B-Ref). Plus, he's hurt all the time.

It's time to move on.

Yea if what i said wasn't clear the full option is a no go right away. But considering what we're able to get (as we saw this year) him at an in between number might be the better than what else they can dig up.

Also, while he was hurt all year this year. Don't forget he did stay healthy pretty much all of 2019 with the normal maintenance days. With DH you have a chance to get a decent amount out of him, probably much better than what you go for your 5ish mil spent on Smoak. Without DH I think both parties should just walk away. Though I suppose the extra roster spot does help make it easier to carry a guy like him who needs regular days, previously it's a big roster construction issue to have to plan on his off days.

He'll be back at least one more time in a non-player role. He will get a plaque on AmFam and/or a star in the cement. I do feel bad he didn't get the final ovation from the crowd but that feels appropriate for this franchise. So much potential but never following through.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived